SOLVED: two modems on one connection?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by jorgo, Oct 29, 2010.

1. jorgo

jorgo Member

I'm wondering if it possible to have 2 ADSL modems connected on the one line.

For example in my appartment we have 2 levels, each level has a wall outlet for a adsl modem, and we have one ADSL2 connection to our appartment... I want to have 1 modem on each level.

Why? because i want to set up wake on lan for my PC, so i will have one modem up in my room (top level).. and the other modem/routerwill be downstairs for the printer, voip phone and wireless, and another laptop which requires a lan connection (due to company security requirements).

Can this be done?... I know you can do powerline ethernet adapters etc.. But for good speed ones im looking at $100+ and that just gives me one port... and a second modem would be less than half that price and provide 4 ports.

Thanks
    Chris

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  2. Rezin

Rezin Member

It's not possible to have two ADSL modems on a single line (that I know of, anyway). Your best bet sounds like Wi-Fi.

3. OP
    OP
    jorgo

jorgo Member

Im reading allot of stuff online... some saying 100% no... some saying 100% yes lol....

For future posters.. Can you please say if not, then why not... and is yes, then why yes. Thank you :D

4. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Why not 1 modem to 2 Routers?

5. OP
    OP
    jorgo

jorgo Member

because i cant get a cable between the 2 modem/routers without running it through the inside of the house unforunately..

6. kwhohasamullet

kwhohasamullet Member

Without researching my educated guess would be no.

reason being that the ADSL connection uses a a certain frequency range of the telephone line so transfer its data so if you added a second modem it would just cause interference in that frequency spectrum and cause both connections to be unstable.

I could be terribly wrong but thats what sounds logical in my head

Good solutions are wireless bridge
    or there is a new ethernet over power option that had a switch built in which can be seen here.

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/36780-xavb1004

7. OP
    OP
    jorgo

jorgo Member

hmmm true... that makes sense actually... didn't think about that :S... yeh i saw that netgear power over ethernet, but look at the price :p... hoping for a cheaper solution :p, cause like i said, im only doing it for WOL which i wont use very often... WOuld just be a nice thing to have in the event i need something off my home PC.

8. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Do you need them to both be active an running at the same time? As it should be possible if you turn off the one your not using, so it's only one active modem at a time.

9. OP
    OP
    jorgo

jorgo Member

Was wanting both the modems on at the same time.... hmmmm what a bugger lol

10. kwhohasamullet

kwhohasamullet Member

If you already have a wireless setup in your house just get a second hand wireless router that support DD-WRT and setup a wireless bridge, runs pretty well and if its only for WOL then will be no issues really.

If you do decide to do this route make sure you do some research into the modem you are looking at and seeing how stable it is to bridge with before you buy (i bought before i reseached once and it would have to be reset every day so it owuld stay alive)

Cheers

11. Heywood

Heywood Member

One modem with wireless or a homeplug style ethernet over power might be worth looking at...

12. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

The ADSL modem standards do not allow for multidrop functionality.

Multidrop modems typically require 4 wire operation and only work at low speeds (think less then 56k dial-up)

You will have to go for wireless or ethernet over power which have already been suggested.

13. OP
    OP
    jorgo

jorgo Member

thanks for everyones input... sounds like a open and shut case... powerline ethernet adapter it is lol.

14. imf

imf Member

But u can have 2 ADSL+ connection and join them into 1 connection, using DD-WRT firmware "MultiLink" option
    can double your bandwidth.

15. imf

imf Member

for me, I used 2 same wireless router, Asus N-12 with DD-WRT firmware, and ran "Wireless Repeater Bridge".

it is a cheaper solution than Powerline Ethernet.

only costed me $120 for both router, DD-WRT is free

16. Kaine[zof]

Kaine[zof] Member

This. I have a set-up here with two WRT54GL Routers and a modem. Modem plugs into one router and the other router is in another room. Using Tomato software on both routers using WDS. The only catch is no WPA2. WPA only but if you use IP filtering like we do, you're fine. Plug your laptop in by cable to the same wireless router as your modem and you're set.

Drop me a PM if you want more details on how to set it up, it's pretty easy but there are a few pitfalls to avoid that will break WDS.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  17. imf

imf Member

hrmmm,... with N-12 and DD-WRT, I can do WPA2 man :thumbup: