Some Beef Brisket

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by sgtraven, Jan 8, 2014.

1. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

Roast the pepper to bring out the oils
    [​IMG]
    Mix is salt/pepper/tatonka dust and a bit of grillmate put in a spice blender
    [​IMG]
    4.8kg full sized brisket from Cape Grim
    [​IMG]
    untrimmed Brisker
    [​IMG]
    Weigh up the fat (good for keeping data on cooks/yields) this is .8kg which works out to a Trimming loss of 16.6% (i have had up to 35%)
    [​IMG]
    Trimmed Brisket
    [​IMG]
    Some nice marbeling
    [​IMG]
    Oiled up with Olive oil
    [​IMG]
    Apply The rub
    [​IMG]
    Place on the Pit
    [​IMG]
    Turn on the stoker to monitor the temps remotely
    [​IMG]

SLEEP TIME!

I plan on about a 16 hour cook to 203f and will update tomorrow once the cook is finished with the temp graphs and finished product

2. OP
    OP
    sgtraven

sgtraven Member

Cook is coming along nicely
    [​IMG]

3. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Cool app! :thumbup:

4. mmBax

mmBax Member

Subbing for future boner creating meat pics.

5. kerr34

kerr34 Member

6. OP
    OP
    sgtraven

sgtraven Member

No injection, foiled very late in the cook. Turned out amazing!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. scon

scon Member

Looks pretty sweet! Yum!

8. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

You still managed to slice it after a 15hour cook :shock:

9. PaPaGeorGeo

PaPaGeorGeo Member

Looks amazing, I really want to give brisket another crack.

How much was the cape grim per kg?

10. waksimus

waksimus Member

The app looks interesting, what is it?
    hows it going with the stoker?

11. OP
    OP
    sgtraven

sgtraven Member

the cape grimm is $14 per kg to aussiepitmasters forum members.
    the app is "the pit pal" it has an integration option with the stoker which works very well :)
    its an android app

12. username_taken

username_taken Member

looks great! but you appeared to trim way more fat off than I would. There's a few sections of fat I like to trim, but for the most part I like to leave a fair bit of fat on there, a lot of it renders out during the smoke anyways.

13. OP
    OP
    sgtraven

sgtraven Member

as im using a kamado with the stoker unit i like to get as much smoke penetration as possible. As smoke only penetrates for the first 1-2 hours the fat doesnt melt away that quick.
    trimming fat allows this penetration of the rub as well as the smoke (as you can see from the pics)
    the other thing i do (and practice) is KCBS style submissions so presentation is fairly high on my agenda.

The kamado and stoker allows for a high humidity and precise temperature environment which allows me to reduce the fat which many use to protect the meat primarily.
    If i was on an offset or weber smokey mountain then i would have a larger fat layer to create room for error.

the other thing to consider is the average australian beast doesnt have the fat cap that you guys have in texas. this cape grim and some of the red rock angus or sher wagu briskets do have a nice fat cap but normaly we have very lean beasts.
    practicing with low fat cap briskets allows me to work with almost any brisket instead of limit myself to the high quality and fattier briskets (which are big $$$ and sometimes hard to source).

A gentleman by the name of Paul from silvercreek smokers here in melbourne doesnt trim his briskets and just uses salt and pepper, he subscribes to the "texas style" and i am very impressed with the product that he produces.
    I will be in Texas in april and look forward to putting on a few KG from the amazing beef you guys have! i look forward to it :)

I would love to catch up and get some tips on the best places (other than your own place) to get some quality Q!

14. username_taken

username_taken Member

Depends when in April ... I'm actually heading back to brisbane for a wedding in April ... but I'll be around for the first two weeks. You coming to Austin ?

15. r00b0y

r00b0y Member

A couple of questions re: brisket:

1. I want to do a smaller cut as a first try before cooking a whole slab. Amazingribs recommends using the point rather than the flat, as the meat is more marbled. I have a very good local butcher, but is the terminology point/flat an Americanism or would it be understood by a good Aussie butcher? If not asking for point, how do I describe the cut I want? If the whole brisket is 6-8 kg (depending on size of the cow) then I presume a point alone would be ~3kg which would be perfect for a family meal for me.

2. I use a kamado. For pulled pork & pork/beef ribs I smoke the meat above a tray filled with boiling water, which helps catch drips, humidify the air, and blocks the underside from direct heat from the charcoal. Do you do the same with brisket?

3. Do you find that foiling ruins the bark/crust? I've tried foiling both pulled pork and pork ribs & prefer it un-foiled as it seems to soften the crust (that said, I generally use very good quality Berkshire pork which is very flavoursome & moist to start with). I've read that brisket really needs to be foiled but interested in your opinion. It's a pain in the butt activity with a 3kg pork shoulder, can't be fun with 8kg of flat beef!

Awesome looking cook. I would love your app to save me going outside every half hour for a 10 hour cook :)

16. cuahtemoc

cuahtemoc Member

From personal experience after doing about 10 brisket cooks:

If you ask for the point end of the brisket near the collarbone you'll get the right piece. Specifying how much you want will probably help too.

Water in the kamado helps keep the brisket moist, as with pork etc.

I normally do a whole brisket for about 18 hours and have it foiled for the last 2 or 3. Helps retain moisture and the result is pretty significantly juicier than unfoiled. The bark isn't as good but it's a worthy trade off IMHO.