Some Current Game prices

Discussion in 'Game Consoles' started by BuD, Nov 4, 2018.

1. BuD

BuD Member

I have to say ive been taken a back a little bit by some pricing ive seen on some new games
    $150 for full hoirzon 4, $190.20 for black ops deluxe digital enhanced.
    i mean holy shit talking some serious coin here

2. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

This is why I buy the base.. Got black ops 4 for $99 and forza horizon 4 for like. $75 grey market.

It's all this season pass rubbish but not worth buying unless your pour lots of hours into em. It's a big possibility by the time Black ops 4 releases dlc its already dead on pc in Aus.

3. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Season Passes are just the same gamble as Pre Orders.

In the past I was more than happy to pay for Season Passes, or the map packs as they were released, but paid DLC just ends up splitting the player base.

4. OP
    OP
    BuD

BuD Member

I noticed that to with battlefield 1 which came with my console. It's just a shit situation and they need to end it. My kid plays titan fall 2 and that's been great as they have been adding new co tent for free

5. power

power Member

the thing that shits me is digital being that expensive, as the residual value of a digital license is almost zip. you can't resell it and in 5 years quite possibly won't even be able to use it yourself.

Increased ROI should be meaning that prices fall not the opposite.

They also need to re-visit the whole tied to MSRP bullshit - especially as physical is on the decline. But then again, this is the ultimate future that publishers are waiting for once they control the
    entire chain and there is no competition they can charge what the market will bear.

Just ask Activision what the market will bear on Destiny 2 - turns out it's $0. Honestly Destiny and it's ilk should be F2P, they have all the hallmarks of F2P and I would be happy to see them go that way.

It works for Fortnite so why not other big brands like Call of Duty, Destiny, etc.

For prices to come back to earth people need to buy with more sanity until then we have $150 digital releases of games that will be digital garbage in 6 months.

Games as a whole are great value for what you get and their historical price patterns, however roi is higher than ever even with misinformed media bleating about "rising costs of development" so
    the only way that shareholders (these fuckers are the real problem) can get the roi increases they want prices need to go up, so you pack in shitty extras on top of the base that cost sfa to make
    and you charge almost full retail - it's that extra bit where all the extra money is coming from.

But we're in a transformative time in games and soon you won't even own a license you'll rent the game. ROI will go up, and up and up.

walker_2003 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    BuD

BuD Member

i agree with everything you've said

7. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

I haven't and will continue not to pay 150 for a game ever again. Maybe its my older age but I can wait, I don't need to be the first in line to play.

shredder likes this.
  8. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Digital should be cheaper, often its more expensive as some retailers e.g. Target actually sell at RRP or below.

Digital cant be on-sold (consoles anyway) like physical and is less cost to disburse digitally then print multiple DVD's.

A joke.

9. frnak

frnak Member

I agree with everything else you've written but the F2P model irks me. I stay away. Too much temptation for developers to sell game breaking imbalanced upgrades/weapons for cash.

10. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Warframe has shown you can do F2P well.

11. giles666

giles666 Member

Warframe would still be better as a pay once up front game. The grind in Warframe is excessively long to encourage you to spend money.

Ideally, for game balance, you'd shorten the grind significantly in Warframe/have more guaranteed drops etc. It's not fun at all running the same damn mission 100 time just to get all the parts you need.

F2P ALWAYS slews the game balance towards unreasonable delays/grind to get you to pay money. It breaks game balance.

12. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

But according to multiple reports, the grind is fun in warframe.. If you don't want to wait, you pay. Seen lots of people claim to have spent no or very little $ with hundreds of hours of game time. I always end up spending about $30 on F2P games if I get hooked as a little nod to the developers.

13. Sledge

Sledge Member

I'm happy to wait for GOTY editions that include all DLC for cheap
    Got burned a couple of times too many

14. asho444

asho444 Member

i actually found the opposite, on release day most $99 games have been at the $60-70 (BFV, AC:O,RDR2,basically everything) mark from retailers like Amazon and JB, much better than 2 years ago when no one would dip below the MSRP.

15. power

power Member

JB have been very good with this.

16. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

This is why I like BFVs model. You get all released expansinos and its paid for by cosmetic DLC. You buy it for $60 or $70 or whatever and you get a shitton new content for nothing beyond that. No player base split and we get new content and I dont have to pay for it :D

17. asho444

asho444 Member

Yea I'm very happy with the new model, as my wife plays it was $200 for two copies of BF4 and the $100 for premium, now only $138 with bfv and JB. Love it.

Hopefully the skin only purchases are enough to keep shareholders happy!

18. power

power Member

i miss BF2 and similar model.

you buy base game, you can buy expansions (dvd's) and there are tons of community maps packs everywhere and anyone can run a server either on the net or on a lan.

those were the best times. the current model is shit.

frnak likes this.
  19. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Nah. I loved BF2. Best game ever. But the DLC packs were shithouse after 4 weeks because it split the community hard. Servers died off way too quick.

20. power

power Member

i would have preferred not splitting the community but it didn't make that much of an impact, i like playing the expansions myself Special Forces was a good one. They tended to be smaller offshoot communities and server mods doing a good job of map rotations was key to the enjoyment.