Some good projectors going cheap at Dell Outlet!

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Cryogenic, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/top...s/quickship/au/en/peripherals?c=au&l=en&s=dfo

I recently purchased an 1800MP and it is absolutely superb. At <$700 i don't think you can do much better. Great picture and the price of replacement lamps iis one of the cheapest i found when looking around! Mine has seen many a F1 GP and other sporting events and it stuns me every time.

No i don't work for DELL, just a heads up for those who migh be in the market :)

2. elisiX

elisiX Member

What is the difference between the two 1800MP models there?

And whats the retail usually?

Oh and is there much benefit from the 3400MP over the 1800MP?

3. Tigger

Tigger Member

We use a bunch of 2400MP's. If you can pick one of those up under 1.5k then you should be very happy with your pruchase.

They are OK on an 84" screen with ambiant light.
    They are Brilliant on an 84" screen with low light.

They are Ok with low light on a 120" screen (a little on the washed out side until the room starts to get darker).

4. OP
    OP
    Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

Nothing. theya re the same. A mate just bought one of them taking my advice :p

Retail is about $500 more than that i believe. The 1800MP is a better buy all round than the 3400MP which i think is aimed at high portability. Not that the 1800MP is big. It's very small and surprised me when i opened mine :)

5. OP
    OP
    Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

I run my projector in my lounge, but only usually at night. Who has the time to watch anything during the day anyhow :Paranoid:

I made my own projector screen and it works a treat. Basically headed down to SPOTLIGHT and bought 2x2.1 metre curtain poles (about 6-10$ each). Then bought 2 metres of cutrain backing. It is flat white cotton with plastic backing. Just wrap the curtain material around the poles at both ends and you have yourself a nice screen. I hang mine off the curtain pole hanging in the lounge. You have yourself a decent 100" projector screen for < $40.

6. elisiX

elisiX Member

I wouldnt want to have to mount my projector..

Am I able to simply sit it on the coffee table approx 2.5-3m away from the screen pointing up?

And if im pumping off blu-ray from my PS3 into this will it look shit hot? Even at this distance?

7. OP
    OP
    Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

Funny you should say that as i run mine on a coffee table at the moment and it works fine like that :)

Don't know about what constitutes 'shit hot', but the native resolution is 1024x768 remember which is not widescreen. I think DVDs look really nice. I just did a Lord of the Rings marathon on the weekend (DivX) and looked great :)

8. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

Even on a budget for that sort of use you will at the very least want a decent 720P projector such as the Mitsubishi HC1100 which is around $1300 from Price Japan.

9. elisiX

elisiX Member

It would be purely for Blu-Ray viewing.

Cheers guys for the info. Will look at alternatives.

Whats a half decent 1080p projector worth?

10. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

Try this thread here

11. OP
    OP
    Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

Yeah, the 1800MPs are both sold now anyhow :)

12. TOX

TOX Member

13. not4us

not4us Member

Ordered one oth the 1800mp's from the Dell Factory Outlet this morning.
    Was going to get a Sanyo Z5 from Pricejapan but the price in the last couple of weeks has jumped $300.

I know the 1800MP can't comapre to the Z5, but for less than half of the price I consider it a good entry into the PJ world.
    Looking at it from another persepctive, it's costing rough;y the same as some pople pay for just the lamp on their HT PJ's...

Also got a ceilling mount for $50 delivered form a company in Victori and all the cables ready for the pj to arrive.
    Cryogenic, how long did the delivery take and do you know where it came from?
    I believe the warehouse is in Alexandria and I've given them my work address (Sydney CBD) so I hope it arrives fast...

14. OP
    OP
    Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

i think i ordered mine on a wed/thurs and it came a few days later. tuesday the next week or similar. It was covered in Malaysia freight stickers but i think it came from somewhere in oz.

I've finally got most of my home theatre set up. Painted a wall in my rumpus room flat white (using the leftover ceiling paint from painting inside the house) and am projecting it on there. Looks wicked. The projector is still sitting on a chair at the moment, but will be planning a ceiling mount soon i think. Sitting about 3-4 metres back, the image looks great. Especially when the picture is 5m across :p

15. MATTATHOME

MATTATHOME Member

How do you go about buying from the dell outlet in link? Do you need to be a business ???

MATT

16. not4us

not4us Member

Good to know.

I'll be projecting into a 5mx4m wall from around 4,5m so I should be getting a good picture size.
    This will come from my HTPC and sound comes from my 5.1 DTS receiver so all up I believe I'll get a good experience out of it.

I expect it to arrive early next week, that'll give me time to setup the mount and cabling on the weekend.

Cheers.

17. OP
    OP
    Cryogenic

Cryogenic News Monkey

There's a number to call on the website and a stock number. call them up and quote the stock number. That's it. Pay over the phone and it rolls up a few days later :)

The 1800MP is a great projector for the money!

18. MATTATHOME

MATTATHOME Member

Excellent I was just looking at laptops...

MATT

19. not4us

not4us Member

From what I heard with laptops the deal gets even better as they usually come with extra stuff that doesn't show n the DFO page.

I'm very hapy with Dell sales. I called them this morning, they got my mobile, called me back within the hour, then the lady said she needed to check if the item was still in the DFO and she'd call me back in 10 minutes, which she did to confirm that it was indeded available, gave her my detaisl and Credit Card, processed it all and half an hour later I got an email confirming the purchase.
    Now I just need to wait...

20. not4us

not4us Member

An update.

I mentioned I ordered the projector on Thursday, well, it arrived Friday afternoon!
    I wasn't at the office so I came to pick it up on Saturday.
    Spent most of the weekend installing the ceiling mount and wiring the whole thing up. Initially I thought about running all the cables through the ceiling but decided against drilling big holes as I'm renting so I ended up running all the cables around the corners with cable conduits.
    BTW, I used two 20m VGA cables, one connects to the HTPC and the other one to the Wii using my "home made" Component-to-VGA cable (following this guide).

End result is now I've got a screen over 100 inches diagonal!!!
    It looks superb and leaves my old 27 inch LCD dead in the water.
    Playing Wii games at 480p and it looks like you're actually inside the game.
    AS my kids were saying, best Christmas present ever!!

Highly recommended for anyone that wants to get into pj's but doesn't want to get into a mortgage to pay for it.