1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Some of my shots this year

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by scotteee, Mar 17, 2014.

1. scotteee

scotteee Member

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd just share some of my shots from this year so far, it's been a bit of a busy one for me with scoring some new contracts up north, so with what little time I've had to take photos I've tried to get the most out of it, I'm off to Japan with my girlfriend in mid April so can't wait to get some photos there, I think we may just catch the cherry blossoms :thumbup:

Scotty
    [​IMG]
    Milky Way On Mars, Pinnacles Western Australia by Scott Jon Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Fire Sky by Scott Jon Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Flow Rider by Scott Jon Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Milky Way Rainbow by Scott Jon Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Colour Rush by Scott Jon Photography, on Flickr

#6 (my type of selfie)
    [​IMG]
    Light Saber, Pinnacles by Scott Jon Photography, on Flickr

2. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

That's a pretty awesome start to the year mate, can't wait to see how the rest of it goes :D

3. Rabe

Rabe Member

Brilliant. Number 1 takes the cake for me.

4. BuD

BuD Member

#1 is the best feels like your on a deserted planet :)

5. kooliez

kooliez Member

#5 for me... I see the attraction of #1, but for me, it looks too contrived (in that the foreground is unusually bright considering how extremely black the sky is... if the levels on the sky/milkyway exposure were adjusted and the black turned to a very dark blue and the forground gradually darkened from the horizon to the foreground I feel it would work better for me (this is personal taste obviously and to be taken with one of the many grains of sand in the image ! :))

Overall I like them all but feel #5 for me really conveys the feeling of being there, and the thought behind the image...

6. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Some nice frames :thumbup:

Editing is not to my taste, i'd love to see what you could do with some masked exposures and the seascapes, with a less HDR feel.

But each to their own.

Kudos for thinking outside the box.

7. OP
    OP
    scotteee

scotteee Member

Thanks for the CC lads

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  8. OP
    OP
    scotteee

scotteee Member

Hey Kooliez,

I wanted to give that shot the feeling of being on another planet, with no atmosphere kind of staring off into space :) I shot the foreground as the sun came up and did the milky way at 4am in the morning, felt like I should probably explain my intention :)

Yes #5 is always a fav of mine, love doing the selfies :)

9. OP
    OP
    scotteee

scotteee Member

Hey Def,

Yes seascapes are a bit hard for me at the moment with the Nikon 14-24mm and no filter system, I just ordered a LucrOit filter system for it (woah expensive) so hopefully that'll give me a bit more freedom.

With the seascapes above, I did dual exposures, one for sky and one for foreground, blended in CC and then used Tony Keypers TK action panel with a variety of luminosity masks on them to mess around with it, understandable it's not everyone's cup of tea and still have a lot to learn:)

Thanks for the comment thinking outside of the box, I really do try and do that these days :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  10. kooliez

kooliez Member

#5 is a seascape - not a selfie! :p haha..

I'm a big fan of seascapes, however I don't suffer the extreme wide angle difficulties as the widest lens I have for my camera is roughly a 16~18mm equivalent.. If I go much wider than that I start getting parts of my camera in the image (eek) For me I tend to shoot my seascapes at 90mm (on 4x5") so somewhere around 27mm in FX digital talk.. Its funny, shooting 30mm on a FF digital for seascapes feels really quite narrow and limiting, the same diagonal FOV on 4x5 seems very wide.. my 65mm on 4x5 feels silly at times, and I often struggle to keep the camera and tripod out of the shot, where as the equivalent FX lens wouldn't feel 'THAT' wide...

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Fantastic shots! Especially the first, almost like another world. Amazing :thumbup:

12. OP
    OP
    scotteee

scotteee Member

Woops! hahah you can tell it's been a ripper Monday :p

13. OP
    OP
    scotteee

scotteee Member

Thanks Chilled :)

14. pogue_mahone

pogue_mahone Member

Love your work Scottee!! We really do need to organise to catch up and get some pics!!

15. TwinII

TwinII Member

Nice work. I think 1 and 5 take the cake for me. Looking forward to seeing your Japan shots!

16. Pixley

Pixley Member

Number 1 is my pick but they are all quite spectacular in their own way :thumbup:

17. DracZ

DracZ Member

I'm not usually overly impressed with landscapes but these ones are awesome, thanks for sharing mate :thumbup:

18. ikonz0r

ikonz0r Member

the star shots are simply amazing. how the hell do you do these without star trails? layers or just cranked iso? :confused:

19. eukaryote:)

eukaryote:) Member

Crank ISO + not long enough exposure. 500/focal length will give you max time your exposure can last until you start seeing star trails.