1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Some random Hong Kong Pics [56k I hate you] Now with a new HDR Shot :)

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Pigz, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Pigz

Pigz Member

Saw another thread with pictures of Hong Kong made me get off my lazy ass and did some raw conversion. :p

Didn't took many photos when I was @ Hong Kong as I was really busy with annoying relatives :sick:

C&C Welcome

Took the cable car when I was at Ocean Park during Chinese New Year...
    [​IMG]

This picture is only telling half the story... The whole theme park was packed... :Paranoid:
    [​IMG]

My cousin got a really good view from his apartment. Heres a picture taken during the day. Yes, the sky is grey 360 days a year.
    [​IMG]

Same place, during the night.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: After taking on chaosprophet's suggestion, I tried to do some HDR of my own :D

Here it is, Hong Kong suddenly seems more vibrant and less polluted. Its not a real HDR shot as I don't have CS2 or Photomatix licence. So I made the image look as much as the one generated by Photomatix on my Nikon Capture NX :p

[​IMG]

This pic have nothing to do with Hong Kong. :p This breed of flower rarely blossom. When it does, it only bloom during the night and will only last for one night.
    [​IMG]

C&C Welcome. :)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  2. cenithx

cenithx Member

I thought those flowers only existed in movies, where they're required for a special potion to counteract a spell laid on the princess. :p

3. OP
    OP
    Pigz

Pigz Member

This flower could conteract spells... Now I only need a dying princess to test it out :lol:

4. LINUX

LINUX Member

Cripes! The humidity and pollution are as bad as I thought :sick:.

Those 2 landscape shots seem to capture the feel of the place well.

5. chaosprophet

chaosprophet Member

if u still have the original raw shot of the night scape it might come out really nice in hdr...
    cool photos (><)

6. OP
    OP
    Pigz

Pigz Member

Yes, its quiet depressing really. Expecially with the global climate change... their winter over there is like 22 Degree C with 90% humidity :sick: Also, with the huge smog (spelling?) covering the whole of Hong Kong, it was almost impossible to get a sharp focusing shot :(

I wanted to try some HDR but I don't have any software to make them :( I use Nikon Capture NX which is good at conversation and light touch ups. Otherwise its useless IMO.

7. azeroth

azeroth Member

I especially like the colours in the night shot :D

8. i7r7

i7r7 Member

I went to Hong Kong a few months ago and tried taking some night / HDR shots but unfortunately I didn't have my tripod with me so pretty much none of the worked out well.

Your HDR shot looks quite nice and it's quite interesting to see the contrast between day and night in Hong Kong. By day it's an ugly ultra densely populated concrete jungle but by night it looks absolute stunning.

The one thing that cameras (still or video) can't capture is the smells... mostly unpleasant and it's something you need to experience first hand to believe :eek:

9. OP
    OP
    Pigz

Pigz Member

Azeroth: Thanks :)

i7r7: Yes, the density of the fog/smog/pollution can only be penetrated by couple of million watts of lighting :D

Do you know the harbour was safe enough for swimming during the 60/70s? My dad joined the Kowloon -> Hong Kong cross harbour swim and he got a certificate to show me lol. Too bad the harbour is sooo polluted now and it stinks badly now as you said :Paranoid:

10. Judda

Judda Member

Your home-made HDR shot is awesome... Can you brighten up the junks in the harbour a bit though?

That's interesting about your Dad swimming in it, I wouldn't be so game! My Dad was in the Hong Kong Police in the 60's and 70's!

11. OP
    OP
    Pigz

Pigz Member

I only got Capture NX for 2 days lol. I am still trying to learn all the functions. I tried to brighten up the pic a little but the lights in the top left hand corner will be way over exposed. There is something in Capture NX that I can choose different colour/focus area. I might play around with it tonight and see whether I can do something :) .

Not 100% sure whether it was 60/70s or 50/60s, need to check up with my dad on that. Also, consider most of the harbour today was landfilled, imagine how far all these competitors need to swim across the harbour in the 50/60s ;)

12. LINUX

LINUX Member

Try boosting the gamma, it brightens the dark/midrange while leaving the highlights much less effected.

13. chaosprophet

chaosprophet Member

hey thats not half bad! congrats for not having proper software for it :) the boat on the harbour in the foreground came out good!
    if u were intrested in getting into it u can nab a photomatrix license for cheap if u have a student email. go to the site for more info.

14. OP
    OP
    Pigz

Pigz Member

Thanks for the suggestion LINUX, it could take a while before I could find the gamma option in Capture NX lol. However, I just played around with the colour control point function in NX which allowed me to change brightness/contrast etc. in a small area of the image... Its a 5mins job but it was just an experiment...

[​IMG]

Now the junk area is a lot brighter but it didnt make the lights from building getting more overexposed :)

15. Szemen

Szemen Member

Nice pictures! When I went to Ocean Park this year, it was pretty much dead. The picture you got of daytime HK will be considered good since I usually cant even see in HK island.