Some Shots of my new Tokina AT-X 116 Pro DX Lens (11~16mm F/2.8: Nikon Mount)

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by j_a_h_2077, Jun 14, 2009.

1. j_a_h_2077

j_a_h_2077 Member

Earlier this week I purchased a Tokina AT-X 116 Pro DX lens (Nikon mount). After a request in this thread, I've put up some images taken on the weekend with this lens.

[​IMG]
    NIKON D90 | 11-16 mm f/2.8 at 15mm (35mm Equivalent: 22mm) | 200 ISO | 1/3 sec at f/9.0

[​IMG]
    NIKON D90 | 11-16 mm f/2.8 at 14mm (35mm Equivalent: 21mm) | 200 ISO | 1/6 sec at f/9.0

[​IMG]
    NIKON D90 | 11-16 mm f/2.8 at 14mm (35mm Equivalent: 21mm) | 200 ISO | 2.0 sec at f/5.6

[​IMG]
    NIKON D90 | 11-16 mm f/2.8 at 11mm (35mm Equivalent: 16mm) | 200 ISO | 1/6 sec at f/11

Overall, I'm happy with the lens. I do get some vignetting when I am using it with my graduated ND filters between 11 ~ 15mm, however advise I have received may be because I left my UV filter on the lens when I put the filter frame on / need a filter frame which takes only 1 filter.

2. FB008

FB008 Member

it's too contrasty IMO, so much that the finer details are lost.

3. computer newbie

computer newbie (Banned or Deleted)

i do agree.

4. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yeah ease back a bit on PP. Can't really see what's going on.

5. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

I actually like this pp. Actually I think it looks better this way as its something that i will never see/end up taking, cause I never get up that early for sunrises :D

Good effort. I can sense many frozen fingers with these shots.

BTW. I loved my 11-16mm. on crop cameras it cant be beat

6. stergiopilus

stergiopilus Member

I agree with most of the others, the PP is way too much. In most landscape shots, you want to see lots of detail. You have parts of the photo that initially grab your interest, then you are drawn in and want to have a closer look (which is where the detail comes in).

Half the photo being pitch black isn't my personal preference...

I think with different PP, these photos could look very good.

7. ][ XpLoiT ][

][ XpLoiT ][ Member

mixed bag it seems - i like the contrast however its a little heavy, id like possibly a 1/2 way solution.

all good though mate looks like nice glass

8. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

+1 PP is too dark.

#3 looks good (verging on great) though.

Looks like you had a good morning at least, nothing worse than an early morning and poor conditions.

I'm a sigma 10-20 (Nikon user) so phewy to your 11-16 Tokina (actually, i am very interested in how it goes).

9. lukera

lukera Member

With the heavy darks I feel these are more like paintings than landscapes. The colours are magical and in 1 and 2 its really nice to see the waves (1/3 a sec rather than the sometimes uncalled for 30 second exposures that create an annoying fluff). I feel that you were going for something a little more dramatic with these though and thats commendable.
    IMO - If 1 was a tiny bit brighter it'd be perfect, the waves churning just outside of the still pool are awesome.
    2 feels a bit grating to look at due to all the tiny shadows/rocks, however again I love the waves churning about.
    3 burns my retinas too much but I never really like these types of shots.
    4 is amazing, I think the blacks work well, to emphasize the reflections in the pool. But again with 4, I see it as a sort of painting that you take in as a whole rather than "try to look for the finer textures".

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  10. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

2 = desktop pic.... cheers :)

11. scottath

scottath Member

if you dont mind....those are now all my desktop pics (Windows 7 changes mine every 5 min or so)

12. ford ftw

ford ftw Member

Nice shots looks great.

13. OP
    OP
    j_a_h_2077

j_a_h_2077 Member

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your feedback. The previous weekend was quite difficult to photograph, it took quite a while for the sun to come up (sunrise was around 6:55am, and had been on location since 6). I was also using my ND8 graduated neutral density filter which also darkened up the sky a little too much (but couldn't see that when viewing the LCD on the camera at the time).

I have re-postprocessed the first image to see if I can add a little more to it. While I cannot bring back the over dark regions of the image, I think I have improved it a little:

[​IMG]

I'll re-process the rest of the other images over the next few days and see if I can improve them a little more.

14. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Would be interested to see one of the shots without any PP to see what you were working with.

15. wipeout

wipeout Member

Special thanks for putting these up, as I was the one who asked about the lens in that other thread :)