1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Someone check myself before I wreck myself

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Furious, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Furious

Furious Member

Posting this thread in this section as I think I put it in the wrong spot.

I had a thread in the main photography forum asking peoples opinion on an eBay listing. Everyone said it looked like crap, so I passed.

Hoping people can recommend me some kit. Given it seems mirrorless is the future, I think I would like to go that way.

I have a total budget of $2,000 for the body and lens. But can stretch to $2,500 if need be. I already have a good tripod, lights, product table, etc.

I want to take product images and shoot some small snippets of video for instructional videos.

Product shots;
    Set on a product table with lighting set up as per picture below;
    Object size is between golf ball size to basket ball size
    All shot on white background
    20Mp is sufficient for what I need, but bonus if it has more, optics are more important to me than resolution.
    My set up is very similar to this, but with 4 lights
    [​IMG]

Video:
    All indoors with lighting as above
    All close of someone working on a computer
    Close ups of screen of mouse pointer moving to click a button
    This kind of thing:

Someone suggested a 50mm prime lens would be good for what I want. But I have no clue.

Hoping you guys can help point me in the right direction.

2. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

For this type of work the camera itself isn't incredibly important. Anything modern that shoots video in the format you like will do.

You'll want a moderately good lens, again, not actually terribly important if you're just doing product shots for web etc.

I'll tell you this much from experience though- do not fuck around with shitty tripods and shitty lights. This is where you want to put the bulk of your budget. Do not skimp.

Also, just throwing softboxes at everything is kinda lazy; especially if you are shooting anything with a lustrous material, like leather shoes for example... Strong recommend at least one honeycomb/grid reflector + brolly in addition to a softbox. Another good thing to have is some nice clean material and some small blocks/boxes so you can elevate stuff to avoid complex shadows.

3. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Hi Furious, Just read the other thread... I won't comment on the ebay thread, but thought I'd lend a hand on a potentially good way to go. I also agree Mirrorless is the way to go, and is definitely more future proof. I think for maximum future proof you can't go past the likes of Canon, Sony or Nikon in the full frame department. If you're looking for the Bokeh type thing then definitely want to try and stick to full frame where possibly.
    I think a couple of nifty primes would be a good option too (50mm f/1.8, 85 f/2.0 or f/1.8 and 35 f/1.8) Once you add three to the list, you may be causing yourself some issues with pricing though.

I think the best bang for buck would be looking at a Sony A7R II or an A7 II
    A7R II can be had for $1600 2nd hand in good condition.
    A7 II can be had for $1200 2nd hand in good condition.

Paring with the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 native mount will give you a lot of versatility but could throw your budget out... and be something to consider in the future. Otherwise a 24-105 f/4.0 is your best bet.

I think as far as combinations go you can't go too wrong across all the brands except when it comes to video, with the likes of Canon providing extreme crops in video on all but the R5 and R6 cameras (Way out of your budget).

Throwing a few other options out there:

Panasonic Lumix S1 & Panasonic 24-105 f/4.0 could be a look in too. If you're using the constant lights, it has pixel shift which will give you a bump in resolution, and the 24-105 has next to no focus breathing if you wanted to pull focus. These are hard to find at good discounts immediately but pop up from time to time. The S1R (it's big brother at 47mp) isn't quite as capable for video, but is the black sheep of the family and pops up with the lens from time to time at $2000-$2500... An incredible bargain if you do find one.

Canon EOS - RP with the Kit 24-105 f/4-7.1... Haven't used the lens or the body, but should do pretty well for most of your stuff, and give some versatility too. Brand new the kit comes under $2500 budget.

4. OP
    OP
    Furious

Furious Member

Thanks man, due to your suggestion, I ended up going with the Sony A7 III with a Zeiss 55mm 1.8f lens.

Got a super special deal (brand new and not grey import) by making people price match and a lot of ringing around. So I did go over my budget a little, but not too much lol

Thanks again

theicemagic and Deftone2k like this.
  5. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Awesome kit, should get good results :thumbup:

Deftone2k likes this.
  6. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Agreed, mad kit!

7. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Well done! I wanted to recommend the A7III but couldn't manage to get it in the $2500 max budget. Great choice, you can't go wrong.

8. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

thats a good pairing, the zeiss has that little something special and the a7iii at around/under $2k is a bargain for what you get (even though im not a huge fan overall myself)