Something happened to my SSD

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by The Null, Feb 21, 2015.

1. The Null

The Null Member

A few days ago I noticed my system was getting a bit slow and I decided to reformat and start from scratch again.

I went to install windows 7 and it took about 2.5-3 hours to finish "getting files ready for installation".

Once the installation had finished, I booted resource manager to discover that the SSD is sitting at 100% usage and not dropping.

I ran chkdsk and it took about 2 hours but it came back fine, and SMART isn't showing any errors.

I checked bios to make sure that I was in AHCI mode, and tried to format again this time with Win8.1, it didn't work.

I plugged in an old 160gb WD Caviar and installed windows 8.1 to that in about 15 minutes.

I even tried installing windows with various combinations of SATA2/3 ports and AHCI/IDE modes but nothing works...

I finally booted with the WD drive and did an AS SSD benchmark on the SSD... My hopes are not high right now...

[​IMG]

Is there any way to recover this drive or is it pretty much dead?

2. AusTerror

AusTerror Member

Does your SSD have any software that can report on its status?

3. noober69

noober69 Member

At least it is being seen by the PC. If someone trim has not been functioning for a while it can slow it down especially if there is not much free space. You can try just connecting the ssd to the power connector and then the PC on. When there is no data in or out the ssd can perform its own maintenance. Maybe leave it for 24 hours. Alternatively try and find the drive makers ssd software to force maintenance and reports.

4. OP
    OP
    The Null

The Null Member

Just an update.

it only ever got to about 75% full at most, it was a 30gb and it only ever had my OS on it.

I took it into my local PC shop and it turns out something had gone wrong, it's being RMA'd now.