Sonos Arc (new Sonos sound bar)

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Zee, May 12, 2020.

1. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

I’d buy the one sl personally. Couldn’t care about voice control.

2. randomman

randomman Member

Bumping... Is this still the go-to soundbar? I mean outside of shelling out $2.5k for the AMBEO.

3. connico

connico Member

Na the Sony HT-A9 is the shit now :p. need a sub though

4. randomman

randomman Member

Haha in the Sonos Arc price range tho?

5. connico

connico Member

Na a little bit more. If you want something similarly priced then the HT-A7000 soundbar which is new will be close!

6. aokman

aokman Member

Never heard of the Sony one. Still love my ARC with the full surround and sub setup. Only drawback I ever found is I wish it went louder on quiet tracks like classical. It certainly goes loud enough but needs a gain boost.

7. connico

connico Member

The Sony Atmos soundbars are pretty impressive, there 360° Reality isn't a gimmick its really impressive. Its for home users that don't want to build our a 7.2.1 system and I have to admit I was pretty sceptical but once I heard it it was pretty converted.

8. randomman

randomman Member

Listened to a few soundbars today...
    Store let me pick content:
    Samsung Q950A - powerful, clear, immersive but left me thinking something sounded off
    Stuck with stupid BestBuy "press button to test":
    Sonos Arc - powerful, clear, appealing, couldn't really test the immersion as it had no surrounds and WAS POINTING TO THE SKY, seriously WTF BestBuy
    JBL 9.1 - powerful, not sure it was clear but sounded appealing, the grey colour while nice I don't think blends as well as black, wasn't pointing to the sky but was at a ~45 degree angle, couldn't test immersion as detachable "rears" were on display right next to the bar
    Bose 900 - powerful, clear, appealing, also no surrounds

Sonos is 15% off with student discount and has 90 day free (they also pay return shipping) returns so figured it was a no brainer as I couldn't really test anything outside of the Samsung properly. I believe Sonos also has a history of longevity and frequent updates which I think is important as I don't plan to upgrade for 5+ years.

EDIT: Forgot the MAJOR BUMMER. Sonos Arc is on backorder until Jan 7. :(

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    connico likes this.
  9. aokman

aokman Member

Yeah thats a big thing with SONOS vs companies like Samsung etc doing soundbars. It’s not their bread and butter and they abandon this stuff at the drop of a hat. SONOS has been excellent with long term support for me.

If you live in Apple ecosystems then the SONOS decision is easy also…

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  10. randomman

randomman Member

I'm Android and doesn't look like it supports casting but with my current dumb soundbar I just cast to the TV anyway, so no change there.

11. BillyBro

BillyBro Member

Hey man still running the first gen sub?
    Looking at upgrading soon, is there any negative to pairing the previous sub to the ARC?

12. aokman

aokman Member

Have not had a single issue honestly don’t believe there is much difference except for some controller upgrades which the ARC covers off anyway :)

13. BillyBro

BillyBro Member

Appreciated

14. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Mine's still going strong almost one year in. I did have some connectivity issues to one sub, but it resolved itself somehow.
    I've added a second sub and a few more One SL's around the house. Put it this way the whole house is our own cinema now :) love it.

15. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

It works better with Android - you can use the "Play from this device" feature, which is better than Airplay/Android play/whatever.

Z...

16. randomman

randomman Member

Yeah but that's from within the Sonos app, no? Casting works within the Spotify and other apps and from Google Home. Not a real problem though. What is a real problem is Sonos ETA came and went without an update, no new ETA. C'mon guys.... already been waiting over a month