Sony A7III

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Pbx_Jnr, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Well... it was inevitable!!

Looks like a mix of the good bits from the A9 and A7RIII :)
    https://petapixel.com/2018/02/26/sony-a7-iii-feature-filled-24mp-4k-full-frame-mirrorless-1999/
    https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/02/sony-a7-iii-australian-specs-pricing-and-release-date/

Looks like definitely a worthy upgrade for my A7II to go with my A7RIII, although I'll wait for the price to drop a bit before jumping on this one.

2. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I avever been able to work out Sony's camera positioning. A7s A7r A7??

3. OP
    OP
    Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

A7 - "entry" level full frame
    A7s - video geared, lower mega pixel, low noise high ISO performance
    A7r - high mega pixel, high fps "all the bells and whistles"

:)

4. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Oh, that's way easier than I thought thanks :)

I'd been lusting after an RIII but it looks like the A7III is actually in the price range I can justify.

5. OP
    OP
    Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my A7RIII but the A7III is pretty much exactly the upgrade I was looking for from my A7II. The joystick is a small but excellent addition that I really enjoy on the A7RIII, so it'd be nice to rock 2 bodies with it :)

6. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

A7iii will sell like hotcakes for event and wedding photographers
    Decent price, 24mp (42mp is too much for a lot of people shooting a lot of frames), good burst speed, eye-AF (with adapted glass too), dual slots and the bigger battery.

A7Riii and A7iii would make a killer combo of bodies.

Waiting for Sigma fast long glass and I'll seriously consider selling my nikon sports stuff

7. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

The S (in A7S) Stands for sensitivity, and R (in A7R) stands for resolution.

As for the new camera it has me in a bit of a bind. I was all set to trade my A7R2 for a second A7R3, but now I am wondering if I could get 2 A7IIIs for the same or similar money. The EVF worries me. I never really liked the A7II EVF. It was hard to tell if stuff was in focus compared to my A7R2 let alone the R3. Plus I just picked up a Voigtlander 10 F5.6.... Maybe I could keep my A7R2 and get an additional A7III? Oh Sony you know just how to tempt me.... lol

8. nisstrust

nisstrust Member

I’ve held off on getting an a7r3, and the a7iii is perfect for my use. I’ll definitely be getting one. Just deciding where from now.

9. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

I kind of wish they would actually discontinue the older models rather than just keep selling them forever so they can make the new models more expensive than the old models...

10. BuD

BuD Member

still loving my a7rIII but the a7iii is great bang for buck. especially when u see canons new offerings lol

11. 2SHY

2SHY Member

There is a Sigma 105mm f1.4 coming out soon. It will be heavy and could be expensive.

12. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Yep. I'm sort of invested in canon lens but mainly EF-S stuff so I wont lose a whole lot swapping to Sony. But I might wait to see what Canon spit out before pulling the trigger. They 'may' go over the top with a giant FU to Sony given how long they've been supposedly working on this. Doesn't really seem like Canon's style though.

13. quwackers

quwackers Member

I am highly aroused by this development.

What features is this missing compared to the A7R3?

Only thing I have noticed so far is pixel shift (no real loss from what I have read about its use cases) and lower megapixel which imo is only a loss for those doing prints or product shoots.

14. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

I'm moving on from the og A7 to this.

Autofocus on the A7 would have been the one thing that would let me down, otherwise everything else about it I've loved. The A9 was the camera where everyone said that this is what focusing should be, so with that going into the A7III and it not costing >6K, I'm in.

15. OP
    OP
    Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

That's definitely not for sports though lol... it does look beastly!

Build quality (less weather sealing, more plastic) and lower res EVF are the only other things I can see missing. I'd be perfectly happy if the EVF is a bit better than the A7II, but even with the II, it wasn't terrible.

16. quwackers

quwackers Member

Coming from a second hand 6D I don't think I will be noticing those differences, its still an upgrade for me.

Still disappointed none of the contrast detect points are cross-type, but I can live without them I guess.

I will definitely be pre-ordering mine from Digidirect, if anybody recommends somewhere else I am open to suggestions.

17. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

Yep I have been waiting to upgrade to this. Looking forward to seeing how good the C-AF is with the new Sigmas.

18. quwackers

quwackers Member

Knowing sigma is finally going to release their art series (with E mounts) is one of the main factors for me, I plan my kit to be a 16-35 GM 2.8, alongside 50, 85 and 105 primes.

19. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Wonder if this sensors is actually going to have good iso performance.. A7ii was basically the same sensor as a7 and the iso performance was pretty crap for a ff sensor.

20. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Nah i need a 120-300 2.8 and a 300/400/500mm (I have the 120-300 and 500 currently but in Nikon mount so no good adapting option)
    If nikon releases a good FF mirrorless that would be awesome too, but they'll be behind the 8ball.

If i wasnt shooting sports, the A7 series would be all i'd need

the Riii's main selling point is the sensor, 42mp is a big jump from the 24mp if you need the resolution but it certainly makes the Riii a lot more of a niche product like the original A7R was.
    Its clear the 7iii will be a big seller - its more expensive than the originals but it offers a whole lot more real-world functionality, they will keep the older model as the "entry level" as they have with the 6000 series.
    Some of the upgrades take out the roadblocks for a lot of professionals.