Sony A7III

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Pbx_Jnr, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

Anyone where in Sydney is there stock, travelling soon and would be great if I can get one for my trip.

2. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

I would agree with you. To be honest I have been considering Fuji as a second body because I like the direct manual controls for shutter speed and the aperture ring on the dial. But the Fuji is very nearly as large as the A7iii and feels cheap to hold. I don't understand why they don't take advantage of the space saving they could potentially get with the smaller sensor and make the camera more compact. If I am going to lug around something as large as an A7iii, I may as well get an a7iii and enjoy the FF sensor.

3. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

That was such a turn off for me as well. Couldn’t believe how hollow it felt.

It’s not so much the mass of the bodies u43/APS-C/FF where the differences lie. You’ve got things like the G9 which is u43 and huge vs A7iii which is possibly smaller yet FF. Where the advantage of the smaller sensor comes in (for weight only I mean) is lens mass. 400mm on the A7iii is going to be a lot(??) more to carry than 400mm (35mm equiv) on either of the other two sensor sizes.

4. herzeg

herzeg Member

Form factor notwithstanding, the cost factor can't be ignored (at least not for us non-pros); I was toying with the idea of consolidating my Nikon FF (D610/18-35/24-105A/35A/50 1.4/85 1.8) and u43 (E-M1/12-40/14 2.5/25 1.8/40-150 2.8, MC/45 1.8 - most used in bold) kits around the A7III till I saw the Sony lens pricing.

F.stop me; I'd have to spend at least $10K to get a like kit going ($3-4K out of pocket), and that's where I drew the line at being content with what I have...

Curious to know how the other non-pros reconcile the want vs cost in upping the ante.

5. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Even going from my very modest EF-M + EF/-S setup I’d have to spend so much money than I can justify to change systems to get similar to what I enjoy doing now. I decided I may as well keep what I have and see what Canon spit out at Photokina or whenever. Make the decision then :/ At least you’re already full frame and not a crop pleb looking jealously up :p

If I’m honest though, FF wont improve my photography. It’s just a nice gadget to have.

herzeg likes this.
  6. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I'm semi-pro and it was/is hard! I am selling off my Nikon kit which will cover what I absolutely need for Sony, but nowhere near the lens selection I had. But I am using this to consolidate the number of lenses I had and learning from the first time around. I am going from an 8 or 9 lens kit down to 3 (plus one I will use on a converter). I will pick up a 70-200mm down the track. Hopefully, Tamron will have one in the not too distant future.

herzeg likes this.
  7. psdiao

psdiao Member

The RRP for Sony lens are very high, the discounting is also very aggressive. It pays to wait to get lens around EOFY and EOY when the sales happen at the same time as rebates.

In my experience, the lens hold their value pretty well if bought on sale so the majority of costs are recouped where the bodies are pretty much depreciated to zero.

Excluding rebates it was around $7.5k for an A7III, 16-35 f4, 24-105 f4, 55 f1.8, 70-200 f4 for Sony and Zeiss.

For me, it's not upgrading too often and using it more, especially for video.

herzeg likes this.
  8. herzeg

herzeg Member

It's hard business suppressing the GAS...

9. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yeah use the sony discounts/cashbacks to your benefit, or wait a generation.... They do exclude their latest stuff from the discounts usually so stay behind the curve!

Dont get me started on costs, for me to sell my nikon and consolidate into Sony for sports/wildlife (A9 + A7rii combo) now that the 400mm has been released i ended up being about $21k short, and with one less backup body.
    Lack of third party glass is still an issue for E-mount

10. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Is there anywhere in Australia with stock? Really wanting to get one and start selling off the majority of my Nikon gear. I ordered mine about a month ago. I got it at a great price so I am not looking to cancel that order. Plus I was always going to get a 2nd one prior to September.

I was really bummed. I missed an all but new one on eBay. But I was having a drink with a mate during the final hour and forgot to watch it. Went for a price I would've gladly paid too.

11. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Nobody will have stock for a while. Sony have said that the A7 III will be on consignment world wide till after Christmas.

12. Xang

Xang Member

Even once you get the body, the lenses are hard to come by also. Sony manufacturing are printing money at this stage!

13. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I've already got the 35mm and 85mm in my hands. Just waiting for the 24-105mm but I am more than happy to wait for that one.

14. Digit

Digit Member

It was just listed in the forsale section, I have the same lens and highly recommend it!

15. quwackers

quwackers Member

Which 35mm did you pick up? The 2.8 or the 1.4?

I have the 50mm 1.8 but the AF is terrible in low light, I am considering replacing it.

16. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I did see the that. But I already got it ordered and paid for. I managed to jag a good price, so I am happy enough to see it through.

I got the Zeiss 35mm f1.4 even though I know it is quite a bit more than the Sigma art 35mm. But I am only going to run with a couple lenses so I am happy paying a premium for the best ones, rather than many cheaper ones. Also the same reason I went with the G Master 85mm.

Thought I had best place an order for my second body if I want it any time this year. I actually really need it (them) by September. We will see which shop delivers first I guess.

quwackers likes this.
  17. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

I need a 35mm by Aug 5 and I am quite tempted by the Samyang AF 35mm f/1.4. Although $800-odd is a bit more than I am wanting to spend for an occasional lens, it is quite a bit sharper than the f/2.8 variants. On the other hand, I don't need f/1.4 and the f/2.8 Samyang is so small and diminutive.

According to DCExpert the Sigma 35 Art is in extremely short supply and may not be in stock for another 2-3 months.

18. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I think I saw a pretty solid discount on that lens through an Aussie eBay store yesterday?

19. Xang

Xang Member

The Sony 35/1.4 isn't worth the money.

The 35A would be good if you can find it, or perhaps the Sony 35/2.8.

20. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

No Sony lenses are. Maybe the 400mm?

I didn't really love my 35 Art. Was nice but nothing special. So far, using the 35/1.4 on my A6500 looks pretty good. I am wanting to do more video work with this lens and all comparisons for focusing with the 35 Art shows the Sigma still has some speed and hunting issues.