Sony A7III

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Pbx_Jnr, Feb 27, 2018.

1. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

From what I read when I was looking into them is that it is more prevalent in older copies. Maybe a QA thing they got a hold of since then? I haven't had a problem with mine so far.

2. KoiTech

KoiTech Member

Sold my batis 40/2 and bought the 24/1.4 GM. Very excited about it. Called around and most places were on long backorders but managed to get one directly from Sony

Deftone2k likes this.
  3. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Nice buy, great lens.. I look forward to getting one after my trip

4. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

After shooting my wedding on the weekend I realise I need this lens too (well not need, but strongly desire). PLus I want to do some astro work this year.

5. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

I got on it on release. It is so good. Light, compact for its features, silent, fast, sharp across the whole image. Far more versatile that you would think.

6. KoiTech

KoiTech Member

i haven't received mine yet. how does it do at higher aperture? f11+

7. Xang

Xang Member

If you are interested in performance at f/11 I daresay there are far cheaper lenses that can satisfy you.

It's basically the same at all apertures (damn near perfect).

8. wezz

wezz Member

I jumped on this deal too. ETA when I ordered was 6th June - but I got in late in the sale. I have seen a number of other people in the Ozbargain post that had ETAs of late May.

I am hoping it arrives sooner than this date though but havent heard anything since I ordered.

9. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

They still have supply issues with the A7III? There was a huge waiting list with no ETA in October when I put a deposit on one, and in the end I decided to go the A7RIII.

10. Deftone2k

Stock was returned and heaps around, but so many good deals floating around everyone has bought them up again. I mean really $2100 is insane for the camera!

11. Raykay

Raykay Member

I've been hassling JB every other day pretty much and the story is mid may. The wait is excruciating haha.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  12. pinchies

pinchies Member

Man, your story sounds like my JB story. Ordered Feb, told april, received late june...

13. Xang

Xang Member

They're actually quite light cameras.

14. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Coming up to 6 months with the A7RIII version of this camera, and I will make the following observations: (Note: My usage is primarily portraiture)

EVF - Unsure how sports shooters would handle the framerate for fast moving objects, but for my usage, it works perfectly, and being able to chimp in the bright sunlight rocks.

Eye Follow Focus - Just wow. It just works, and works well. If you shoot portraits, it hits focus every single time.

General focus - A little hit and miss. Adapted glass doesn't focus all that well, and the WYSIWYG EVF means that it is trying to focus with the aperture set to the final setting, (unlike a DSLR where focus is done with it wide open) which means even Sony lenses suffer when focusing in low light. It would be nice to have an "Aperture un-preview" button to assist fucusing.

Battery - I took nearly 400 shots today at a shoot that lasted about 90 minutes, and the battery was still showing 82% when I finished. And when I heard that the A7III didn't come with a battery charger, I was wondering WTF Sony was thinking but I have found I nearly always charge the camera via USB, which also allows you to charge it on the go either in the car or a power pack in the camera bag between locations if need be.

Size - Despite the fact I moved from a 5D-II to the Sony, I have not even noticed its size. It is just right for me.

Silent shooting - This is plain weird. I have only played with it as it doesn't trigger flash, but it is weird when you forget you have it set and put the camera to your eye and press the shutter.... and nothing happens. So you press and hold the shutter again, and again nothing happens. Then you realise you have actually taken 40 odd photos.

Menues - They say they are confusing, but once you have set the camera up, you don't need to play with most of them.

Shutter - it took me a while to get used to not having the big old mirror slapping around. You get a feel for it and know when you need to change settings, but the A7RIII only has the mechanical shutter for tactile feedback which has no relationship to the actual exposure length. This just means you have to pay attention to the actual settings.

Back screen - I noticed the other week that it tilts up. I can see this being useful.

Lenses - The glass is good quality, but comes at a premium price. (I bought a Sony 85/1.8 which is now my go-to portrait lens) I also have an MC-11 which allows me to use my Canon 50/1.2, 100/2 (which doesn't get used much now I have the 85), 24-70/2.8-II, and 24/4TS.

Backward compatibility - If you wished, you could purchase 4 adaptors (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and T-mount) to allow you to use the majority of lens manufactured in the last 50+ years. The focus Peaking and zoomed in screen to assist the manual focus process means it is an excellent choice if you like collecting and using classic manual lenses. (Manual focus 135/1.5 FTW!)

IBIS - You never even know it's there, but I am sure I'd notice if it were to stop working. And being able to shoot hand-held at 1/5th is pretty neat. :)

Controls - I am still coming to terms with them, and still find some of them awkward.

Conclusion: As an ex-Canon user, I wondered at first if I had made the right decision. I have no doubt that one day soon, there will be a new Dual DIGIC EOS-R that has enough grunt to do what the A7III can do and will tempt me back, but until that day comes the A7RIII is the camera that best fits my usage.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  15. OP
    OP
    Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

I dunno... I'm constantly impressed with how well adapted glass autofocuses. I shot a wedding last weekend in fairly dark conditions and they rushed through to the bouquet toss before I could even think about setting up anything for additional light. This was with the Sigma Art 35mm via MC-11:

DSC04681 (Medium).jpg

Although it's not the sharpest thing I've ever shot, it certainly is enough to capture the moment and I've got a sequence of about 20 shots from when it was thrown until after this catch, so I'm happy that the moment wasn't missed.

Really, I'm just thinking that the camera has no right to be able to focus in these conditions with a Canon mount lens and yet it does... lol

Attached Files:

16. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Spent 6 hours today randomly shooting. A frag over 1300 photos taken (!) (Saved as Raw+jpg) and the models spending lots of time browsing the results on the screens while I was driving between locations - camera still have 53% battery left.

17. Deftone2k

Adapting is fine but really once you go native the desire to just be all Sony glass takes over.

I average 5-6000 frames shooting all day at weddings and have been going through 3 to 3.5 batteries :) Thats usually ongoing use over 10-12 hours (with auto off delayed as to not have to wake cameras up all the time).

18. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Fast, wide lenses shot wide open are obviously good enough to work seamlessly, even when converted. I doubt you'd have been able to manage that shot with a longer, slower lens, or your 35mm closed down a bit.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  19. OP
    OP
    Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

You assume too much. That was actually stopped down. I have had an ok keeper rate with the 100mm f2 as well in low light, obviously not as good as the Sony 85mm but again, I was surprised with how many did indeed autofocus. When I first switched to Sony, I shot 2 weddings using the 100mm adapted on an A7II with maybe a handful of missed shots, that I managed to make up with other ones before I got the 85mm.

I totally agree Jack hah... I only own the 28mm f2, 50mm f1.8 and 85mm 1.8 currently, but would love to add the 24-105mm as an all purpose one day. I'm still not that keen on the size of the GM lenses just yet.

20. wezz

wezz Member

I have a tracking number for mine now. Was picked up by Aust Post yesterday with estimated delivery is Monday 13th.

This is much earlier than the estimate on the website when I ordered, which was early June - am happy with that. Now I just need to sort out a lens.....