Sony Alpha 7 IV Line

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by 2SHY, Jul 17, 2019.

1. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Sony Alpha 7R IV
    • 61MP
    • 15 stop DR
    • 5 Axis Image Stabilsation
    • UXGA OLED viewfinder
    • 2x UHS-II slots
    • "Multi Interface Shoe"
    • 4 shot and 16 shot pixel shift composites, up to 240MP

• 15-stop[iii] dynamic range at low sensitivities, resulting in smooth natural gradations ranging from deep shadows to highlights
    • High-speed continuous shooting at up to 10 fps[iv] with full AF / AE tracking for approx. 7 seconds[v] in full-frame mode with an increased buffer memory, and approximately three times more in APS-C mode
    • 567 focal-plane phase-detection AF points covering 74% of image area and 425 contrast AF points
    • Debut of Real-time Eye AF for movie recording[vi] and advanced Real-time Tracking[vii] plus Real-time Eye AF for still image recording
    • Features an APS-C crop mode delivering stunning high resolution of 26.2MPii
    • 5.76 million dot UXGA (Ultra-XGA) OLED Tru-Finder™ electric viewfinder with outstanding detail, brightness and contrast
    • Upgraded connectivity and operability including high-speed Wi-Fi support, wireless PC remote connectivity[viii], FTP wireless transfer, faster data transfer via USB-C and more
    • Professional 4K movie recording functionality including full pixel readout with no pixel binning in Super 35mm mode,[ix] S-Log3, HDR workflow support
    • Multi Interface Shoe™ with digital audio interface deliver the high-quality sound recording with new Sony’s microphones and XLR adaptor
    • Additional enhancements to the body design include an improved grip and button for improvised control with compact, lightweight body

Source

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Was thinking after the live stream that I don't need this and I am just going to keep my A7R III cameras, but after watching a few videos of the AF, I am tempted... Do I need this camera? I barely even need 42mp.

3. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

26mp crop mode is about the only thing that really would interest me :)

The AF improvements too would be awesome, but I'm pretty happy with the R3 so I'm not finding myself wanting in that area as much.

4. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

For the price it would cost to upgrade one of my A7R III cameras, I could just get a A6400 if I wanted the 26mp crop mode.

I am waiting to see what else they announce next week.

5. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

A pro level APS-C will be interesting... that's what I'm expecting an announcement for

6. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Should be much bigger announcement.. I'm thinking new sports camera is a9ii because of Olympics or a7s3.

7. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Meant to be another 3 other bodies being announced I believe... so a pro APS-C, A9II and A7SIII are all a possibility :)

Deftone2k likes this.
  8. Xang

Xang Member

Apparently there is another announcement next week? After this year already launching the 135GM, 200-600, 600GM, 35/1.8 and A7RIV.

Sony is showing no mercy and I am absolutely loving it.

9. RnR

RnR Member

The specs above is missing the 5 axis image stabilisation...

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/07/16/sony-announces-the-a7riv/

10. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

some decent features and upgrades that were sorely needed
    The dual UHSII slots, the better ergonomics and sealing.

I never thought id say it but i dont think i'd want 61mp, even the 45 i currently have are overkill so much of the time.
    Isnt real-time AF coming to the A7iii and A7riii? that would mean even less reason to buy

11. Xang

Xang Member

That's never been stated/promised by Sony. Given the significance of the recent firmware updates for both those cameras, I doubt another will ever happen.

It did surprise me though that the R4 uses the same CPU as the R3, lending the idea that the R3 could handle real-time tracking if they wanted it to. Interesting.

12. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

must have just been the A9/6400 or i got confused with the animal eye-af.
    I guess its the classic case of trying to market segregate their items - either way it will probably come out in the a7iv at a much power price point anyway in 6 months when they release it :lol:

13. RnR

RnR Member

Not much finger space compared to the R3...

[​IMG]

14. Xang

Xang Member

You are correct that the A6400 and A9 have the real-time tracking, with the A9 receiving it via firmware update.

I think it's harsh to portray it as deliberate market segregation when cameras like the A7R3 were released ~18 months ago with no promise of free AF upgrades (which they did actually get). You can buy one today for $3000 brand new! Crazy good value.

15. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

does the grip skinny down below that top part though?
    I heard reviews that say there is now more room for fingers

I think they're huge on market segregation, especially for Sony who keeps selling the older models forever (enticing you to get the newer model, even if technically the older model could do it). Its smart business.
    Fuji are still the masters of firmware updates which keeps existing users happy.

And yeah they're pretty good value with the constant sales that are on, i'll re-check in a few years once the 3rd parties have caught up with longer telephotos (Native is still too many $$'s for a semi-pro)

16. Xang

Xang Member

You'd rather they discontinue older models, making the only choice the newest, most expensive model?

Selling a range of products at varying prices is...bad?

I'm not following.

17. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

i'd rather they put all the features into all the cameras, instead of leaving stuff out that seems like it should be a no-brainer

herzeg likes this.
  18. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

That's electronics companies for you; it's a bit like a TV, you see... Sony has come a long way from the Mavica though.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  19. Xang

Xang Member

So you'd like for them to sell one full-frame model at say $6000, each 3 years, until the CPU can no longer handle what's being thrown at it.

20. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

i wonder if they are actually stick manufacturing the original A7 and not just old stock .... i guess its not a problem if its on the same production line... if people are still buying and they making a profit.