1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony Alpha 7 IV Line

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by 2SHY, Jul 17, 2019.

1. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Can't really blame them for engineered obsolescence; they are pushing the improvement/innovation bar quite high.

It's a bitch of a cycle for the consumer on the quest for latest and greatest though.

PS: Amazing(eye)ballz! - double click on eyeball for incredible resolution/IQ.

PSS: F**k it's good...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  2. Xang

Xang Member

herzeg and RnR like this.
  3. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

4. Athiril

Athiril Member

People complaining all over the place about this for video, but I’d be picking it for the real time eye AF for video over the Sigma Fp etc, the compressed ready to go format is more suitable for most things imo

5. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

A few youtube photographers (Yes, I know they are not indicative of real world users) claim to have 'downgraded' from the A7Riii to the A7iii due to the hassles of dealing with the massive file sizes.

Is there a technical reason why Sony don't incluse the ability to shoot at lower resolutions? (Asking as an amaeur who can't afford large/fast memory cards)

6. Xang

Xang Member

I'm not sure why they don't include an mRAW option.

But, if you don't need the resolution, you can use the A7iii or A9. There really are options for every use case.

7. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Stick with the R line. I mean I am always on OZbagins getting larger HDDs and SSDs. I got to use up all that storage space somehow.

8. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

The big issue with the massive filesizes is the time taken to empty the internal buffer. On the A7Riii you cannot get into the menu to change settings or review images while there is an image in the buffer, so I spend a lot of time waiting for the buffer to empty so I can change settings. Especially annoying when you accidentally take a couple of bursts at 10fps and you need to wait to be able to drop the shooting speed.

Anyone who buys this camera will need to factor in a pair of 256GB UHS-II U3 Class 10 memory cards.

9. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Wow.. I had an a6300 which had this issue, then an a6500 which fixed the problem.. If you can't use the camera while it's dumping the buffer.. it's pretty bad :(

10. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Well .. maybe 80 odd images at 60mp ... isn't the right camera for you if you need to shoot 10fps for unlimited time.

11. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Scenario: Sports shooter fires off a few bursts at 10fps, then has to wait 20-30 seconds for the buffer to empty before he can change back to 3fps.

12. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

With the a6300, if you shot a burst, the camera was unusable until the buffer was cleared to the card. You couldn't even access the menu or anything.

The a6500, you had a 200 shot buffer, and it dumped the raws to the card so you could still shoot away while it was dumping. You could access the menu and seemed like a good compromise with the slow UHS1 write speeds.

Can't really understand why the A7R III has this limitation. Thought it was fixed..

13. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I think you mean the A7 RII there mate. THe RIII already fixed this issue. If you are waiting for the buffer to clear, you can still change menu settings and review already written images (on the A7R III).

14. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

My A7Riii behaves exactly as I described.

15. Xang

Xang Member

Sports shooters don't need 60MP.

If they want it, they can pay an extremely small penalty in buffering time.

Another year or two and they won't have to do that either.

16. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

shooting sports with a D850 - yeah the files are big (thankfully decent buffer + XQD = life is good)
    it has mRAW and sRAW if you dont need the resolution and you lose a little bit of sharpness but still pretty good.

As far as just using an A9/A7iii - well yeah but then you may miss the lack of the AA filter, or the realtime tracking (on a7iii), or the dual UHSII slots etc.
    plus the cost of having a 2nd camera body
    My guess is that Sony made the decision to put the CPU cycles into the AF system rather than doing mRAW options, or maybe doesnt play well with their compression algorithms, who knows.

I think with the sony's there are still some limitations like switching from photo to video etc if the buffer is clearing, but as mentioned much improved over the previous iterations.

17. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I'd absolutely love a 60MP sensor, provided it can do 10+ fps and have a decent buffer of more than 2 seconds..

Being able to crop an image heavily and still have enough pixels for a high res print would be awesome.

18. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Specs claim 30 raw images for the buffer. And to answer my earlier voiced concerns, I found a claim that it has "the ability to open the menus while buffering".

19. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

30 is a bit low.. I need at least double that :) hehe cheers

20. Athiril

Athiril Member

Wouldn’t sports shooters just use the crop mode for what is it, 24mp at 20+ FPS? They’re rarely ever going to be too close and likely to be using a zoom lens they could just pull back a bit anyway.

This camera looks like it’s doing just about everything for every scenario.

Edit:
    • High-speed continuous shooting at up to 10 fps(4) with full AF / AE tracking for approximately seven seconds(5) in full-frame mode with an increased buffer memory, and approximately three times as long in APS-C mode

I’m just over 50% of the 1tb of my entire lifetimes catalogue of raw files fully backed up on Lightroom Cloud. I can imagine this camera may cause issues there, I should probably cull stuff.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019