Sony Alpha A900 Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by nakey, Sep 9, 2008.

1. nakey

nakey Member

So somewhere in the world, they've announced it, as DPreview has a preview already

Initial thoughts are that sony's taking this seriously. pretty seriously.

no pop-up flash. looks the business. grip looks ugly. Drops to 11MP for APS-C lenses, 5FPS, dual Bionz processors, 100% viewfinder coverage. 4 stop Sensor shift stabilsation, ISO 100-6400, no live view as far as i can see...

your thoughts?

2. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

There is definately no live view. The View finder is very very nice. Control layout very nice, good to use.

3. redhairkid

redhairkid Member

Seems interesting. Might need an octa core system to process those RAW's.

4. Amalgam

Amalgam Member

Ugliness was a Minolta trait, and Sony seems to have inherited it when they bought Minolta. :tongue:

Nice camera. Excellent viewfinder! 24MP, 5fps. The 70-400 and Zeiss 16-35 look nice too.

Price is quoted as US$3,000. I wonder how much it will cost here...

5. OP
    OP
    nakey

nakey Member

i know.. but it does look kinda old school ugly though.. as if it was still a minolta film camera

Nice camera. Excellent viewfinder! 24MP, 5fps. The 70-400 and Zeiss 16-35 look nice too.

Given the way people here buy stuff, carry the 2, divide by zero...

almost about 3600 landed, ish

properly, about 6 grand

6. kini_mini

kini_mini Member

Very impressive. Looks like the leaked specs were dead on too.

Just had a quick look at the ISO 1600 shot of the marketplace and it looks like ISO 1600 on my 30D, maybe a touch better. Pretty impressive, with no visible colour noise, should be better in RAW with Noise Ninja etc instead of the JPEG NR engine.

ISO 3200 really isn't that great though for the boy's face, visible colour noise and smoothing. It's usable in a pinch I think, small prints would be fine, but D3 and 1D mk III users won't be impressed.

7. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

I think Sony are undercutting themselves with the price to be honest, similar to how they do with their game consoles... Sell enough, make it up eventually. Not that I'd argue with it, it's good for the industry to lower prices, but if it's at the cost of quality, then I'll be concerned...

Remember that this sensor is a 12bit DAC sensor... I say it over and over again, but that alone is a step backwards considering the current industry standard is 14bit DAC.
    Again, it'll take more then the DAC to decide if it's a worthwhile camera or not. The real problem though is their lens pricing scheme. It's way too high to be genuinely competitive I think, even if it is Zeiss glass.

8. BRGMCS

BRGMCS Member

that grip may be ugly, but have a look at how the shutter button etc lines up the same with the lens as it does in landscape mode. That's a nice piece of ergonomic design.

9. nisstrust

nisstrust Member

i like it, well done to Sony, FF gotta be great to those konica minolta die hards...

10. kini_mini

kini_mini Member

Eeek, the Imaging Resource review isn't too positive. They complain about noise and DR, though the detail at low ISO is terrific.

I'm starting to think that the A900 will be a brilliant studio/landscape camera as USD 3000 is a bargain for the low-ISO resolving power, much better value than MF or a 1Ds mk III, but low-light shooters are going to stay away.

I'm heartened by the price - as theicemagic said Sony are no strangers to discounting to gain market share - but I was hoping for 1Ds mk III sensor performance in a cheap body.

I wonder if Nikon are going to use this sensor...perhaps they tested it and were put off, which is why we haven't seen a D3x yet.

11. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

It may well be the ugliest con/pro-sumer level camera of 2008 ;)

12. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

What? No PacMan or SuperMario? No mp3 player?

13. kini_mini

kini_mini Member

Given that it's a Sony product I think you'd be better off looking for Solid Snake or GT 5 :p

It does have a memory stick port though, woohoo! :lol:

14. redhairkid

redhairkid Member

I was at least hoping for a built in psp or something.... oh well.

15. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

I know but I liked SuperMario :p

I believe in a few years there will be capable all-in-one machines with camera, video, mp3/mp4, phone, GPS, pocket pc etc, but not in the high end camera world. Even with live view mirrorless machines like the one Olympus is working on you still need some distance from sensor and lots of heavy glass to take decent photos and control dof. Video is another story, I was expecting Sony to offer it, as well as live view. ATM I'm a little disappointed that the camera is not perceived as well as I hoped, which would put pressure on CaNikon to lower prices or offer even better cameras at every price point...

16. nisstrust

nisstrust Member

17. mosaic

mosaic Member

18. ehor

ehor Member

19. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

at least space invaders or galaxian... come on sony make me swap sides

20. OP
    OP
    nakey

nakey Member

MP3? From sony? Surely you jest.

IT's all about the ATRAC, man. Nothing but ATRAC. I know it's got MS Duo pro, all it needs is rewritable UMDs

:lol: