1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony announcements

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by theartfuldodger, Feb 4, 2016.

1. mtma

mtma Member

Even if they made an a6000 series body with ibis they know they can charge more for the the feature, nothing comes out at a cheap price from Sony unless there's a good reason.

2. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

All cameras that shoot video should have Stabilization built in.

The AX33 and the new AX53 video cams have the brand new BOSS stabilization in them, and it literally kicks the crap out of any other stabilization system out there, which is why i want to get the AX53.

I would prefer the older AX100 4k video cam, which has a beautiful 1" sensor inside it, unfortunately Sony cannot employ the BOSS system in that cam because the 1" sensor is too big for it.

Anyway, no IBIS means the A6300 is a no go for me, the A6000 was bad enough.

3. Digit

Digit Member

Once you include the metabones in it'd be a bit more attractive. Still though...

C'mon Tamron! I want native FE mount, don't have to redesign your current lenses!

Well... It is 4k, so shoot 4k and stabilise in post and render in 1080, or get something like this, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro-Grad...962112?hash=item2ca59b0940:g:aSwAAOSwNgxWEjCj

still cheaper than the $1400 camera and more versatile.

4. Hamal

Hamal Member

I have both the Tamron 24-70 VC and 70-200 VC and while I must say I am very, very happy with them there are still some issues that make other lenses more attractive options for those with a good budget.

The out of focus elements in particular with the Tamron lenses is not as appealing as the Canon L series lenses. Onion ringing is evident in many cases and high contrast elements in the background can appear "messy".

Sony constantly referring to the bokeh characteristics of the G Master lenses is, in my opinion, there way of differentiating themselves from the recent Tamron and Sigma budget entries.

5. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I have a Flycam HD3000 Stabilizer, but that doesn't mean that i don't want or need stabilization built into the camera, because i don't always use the Stabilizer, and i don't want to mess about with stabilizing in post if i have a camera that does it for me.

As far as downscaling 4k to 1080p, have you ever downscaled 4k to 1080p yourself and seen the resulting video on a 1080p TV or Computer screen, and then played the original 4k video on the same screen as a comparison, if you haven't, you should try it.

From my point of view, if i can shoot 4k and have all that nice fine detail, and i still have a 1080p TV or computer that supports playing of 4k video, why on earth would you want to downscale it using software, plus you still have the 4k files to play on your nice 4k TV when you finally upgrade.

The downside to keeping 4k video is that you need to have the available storage capacity to store them on.

Cheers

6. DTG

DTG Member

I will be upgrading from the A6000 for a few reasons.

• S-Log
    • Upgraded EVF
    • Live view in burst
    • Mic input

Now to see AU pricing and release date, or just pre-order from BH

7. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

All great reasons.
    I originally thought there wasn't much difference, but the more I read into it. The better it looks.

Something I hope they add to the a6000 with a software update is eye focus on AF-C

8. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

AU price is $1699! :shock:
    Available 'March'

US price is US$999 so after currency conversion, shipping plus import duty/GST it will be about the same, less the local warranty of course.

No doubt we'll see some discounting going on. However I haven't seen any local listings for the A6300 yet.

9. DTG

DTG Member

Hmmm where did you get the $1699 from?

10. kiwimeat

kiwimeat Member

Sony X Facebook page.
    Posted 4 February - SRP $1699

11. lionman

lionman Member

Yes they do. They might be able to get away with little to no optical redesign but electronically they would be very different. If they don't redesign them optically you may as well use an adapter as all you will get is their current lens with a built in adapter anyway.

Reverse engineering Sony's AF system is no small task, and I doubt very much Sony (or Metabones) will licence their tech to third parties. Sigma/Tamron will want to be sure its a sound investment before taking the plunge. Letting the FE mount mature is probably a wise choice.

Given you can use any of the existing EF mount Sigma and Tamron lenses anyway with an adapter, is there that much of an advantage (other than the cost of the adapter) in a native FE third party lens?

12. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Tamron might get the info given sony's stake in them - but it would also take sales away from their own lenses so probably not...

I can see the value of native lenses, allows proper use of focusing modes (especially eye-af) provided they're capable of that.
    Otherwise yes just use an adapter.

Also note there has been issues with the AF with some sigma lenses with the la-ea3 adapter, e.g. the 50mm ART doesnt work, but the 35mm does.

13. Athiril

Athiril Member

Not sure if want 24-70 or 85.

14. berek

berek Member

Just bought a new MC so wouldn't matter how much I want them it's a bridge too far :upset: especially as the 24-70 will end up being $2700 :sick:

15. simplelogik

simplelogik Member

I just put in a deposit for 2 for video work. Looking forward to Sigma’s own adapter MC-11, now it would be perfect if they release a speed booster without drop in IQ. Imaging the A6300 with a Sigma Speed Booster and turning a 24-70 F2.8 into an F2, no need to move to the A7 series. OK, for now the 18-35 and 50-100 f1.8 is fine :).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  16. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  17. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Ordered from Leederville last night for $1515 delivered since Georges has run out of the initial batch special. Going to get the Sigma MC-11 EF adapter for some Sigma 150-600 action..

Hopefully it all works well and there's no gotchas.. Now just need to find a few batteries and some fast SD cards..

18. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

waiting to see what the ISO performance is like

19. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Definately getting a MC-11, but think I might pass on the A6300. Probably going to upgrade the X100s once the replacement comes out later this year.

That MC-11 looks so good. Might have to get a 20mm when that gets here.

20. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

i didnt realise that the MC11 actually allowed Eye-AF, thats cool.

Bit annoying that Sony's own adapters and A-mount glass cant do this....