Sony Playstation 4 PS4 RELEASED! (29.11.13) $549 AUS RRP

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Feb 21, 2013.

1. lithos

lithos Member

Seriously, does any give a shit that Random McFuckknuckle has gotten forty-three more headshots than you?

Or does anyone want to watch you try to awkwardly jump over that crate for five minutes before you figure out it's an invisible wall - live, on their Facebook feed? There's nothing worse than *watching* a game you're not playing - and this bodes terribly for game design, as developers try to make games visually interesting instead of ludically interesting.

I used to genuinely think that consoles might have several advantages over PCs, but then reading up on the latest ones...nope. Remember when you just shoved in a disc or a cart, and played? All that sign-up-for-shit-online, make-sure-your-OS-is-updated, oh, great, it crashed and the blew up shit was reserved for PCs.

Now? Nope. You're gonna need to sign up for some bullshit social media crap now, PS3 and Xbox have firmware updates...and the standing joke with the Xbox is that if you showed the UI to someone who'd never seen it before, they would not be able to tell it's a gaming machine.

2. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

i hope it means the system won't get shit ports of games that don't run properly compared to all other platforms... ps3 suffered from this a fair bit

3. EuroSlave

EuroSlave Member

I'm not amazed at the PS4 but i'm not disappointed either. At least it has some decent power behind it.

Streaming your video to friends is ok I guess. Thank god for dat NBN

I haven't touched my ps3 in forever though

4. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

Are you high? Both of those titles sold millions upon millions of copies. Their technical performance was poor on the PS3, but that didn't stop them from selling 10 million+ units each across platforms, with likely 40% on PS3.

5. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

You would have to think E3 they will show the console and announce the price. E3 is in June.

6. millsy

millsy Member

It adds overhead to development time (and cost) not to mention it'll add some overhead to a game.

Emphasis on the fact it's a game, not a fact finding mission to see how many things you can find to share on facebook.

^also that. If it's baked in and advertised as being a good thing do you really think it doesn't have the potential to be annoying regardless?

Consoles to me were great because they were standalone and didn't require the internet to play a single player game, or a local split screen game for that matter. Apparently not the case anymore :thumbdn:

7. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Cross platform works when it not competitive. Portal 2 was PS3 and PC cross platform and that was coop.

8. power

power Member

The technical performance is what I am referring to - PS3 owners got shafted hard on 2 of the biggest AAA titles of the year, you can't move forward with a console that's performing that badly in the hands of Ubisoft and Bethseda.

9. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

Well then I agree with you there. However, Bethesda quite frankly made an engine that is utter shit on the PS3 and outright can't be bothered to go back and fix it, whereas AC3 runs poorly on both consoles, same as Far Cry 3.

10. AMD64

AMD64 Member

Yeah its 8GB GDDR5 @ 173/176 GB/s (cant remember which)

11. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Maybe the size of a SFF PC. Why make it larger? It doesn't need expansion slots and the parts will all be custom-built to fit together in a neat way. Making it smaller saves on materials and therefore reduces cost, as long as it's not so small that they need more advanced heatsinks or PCBs.

Well, on the GPU and RAM side it is. For many tasks the Cell will probably be a quicker CPU, and HDD is largely irrelevant since Sony supports HDD upgrades and plenty of people are using >500GB drives. I guess they could go to 3.5" drives again, allowing cheaper, larger drives.

8GB of RAM is nice. I remember that when the PS3 was announced, I commented that 256MB of RAM was a pretty small amount even by the standards of the day. 8GB is a decent amount by modern standards even for a PC that has to run lots of things at once.

It'll be interesting to see whether we end up with "hackintosh" equivalents, running Sony software on non-Sony hardware. Sort of the opposite of the PS3 Linux stuff (non-Sony software on Sony hardware).

12. millsy

millsy Member

Fair comment, I was thinking competitive to be honest

13. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

14. flain

flain Member

One thing they got right is that it uses a controller. If the new Microsoft console just uses a newer kinect as the main controller it will be disappointing for me..

15. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

Eb games have these for preorder price of $899. Hope that's just EB being EB and they're about $300 over rrp...

I can see myself hitting that share button a lot on accident too.

16. AMLagonda

AMLagonda Member

hmm, funny, the title on this thread is false, the PS4 has not been revealed!!!

Shouldn't it be called "Sony speculative thread post your bullshit here"

17. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

A friend had a good point about the price, if EB guessed it low, and it ended up being higher, they would probably have to honor that price.

Also was anything mentioned about the profiles per controller ?

18. AMD64

AMD64 Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  19. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

Hurr durr they haven't shown the actual box so it hasn't been revealed lolz :rolleyes:

20. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Some say that the graphics card will be similar in specs wise to a AMD Radeon 7850.

Interesting.