Sony Playstation 4 PS4 RELEASED! (29.11.13) $549 AUS RRP

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Feb 21, 2013.

1. AMLagonda

AMLagonda Member

Cool, cheers.

Well if we are told it has PC specs then seeing the box might have been nice.
    Still open to lots of guess work so not really "revealed" but not much point really, sounds like its still got a lot of work to go (gold).

2. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

3. 2SHY

2SHY Member

4. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

The online pass might live on for online games and expect an increase in DLC.

5. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Was moreso for the rumours of these consoles locking out used games. Sony's confirmed they won't, now we've to see if MS deny/shutdown the rumours of them blocking used copies.

6. IzzehO

IzzehO Member

Is the 8GB shared memory?

I see three positives to this for me (as I have 0 interest in purchasing):

1. This'll keep AMD in business (and hopefully competitive).
    2. x86_64 probably won't help get more PC ports, but it'll certainly allow them to be more stable.
    3. New gen and thus we can finally get some decent games.

7. ddk

ddk (Banned or Deleted)

Was there any news on the DRM issue?

Honestly, if they go with this stupid new concept of DRM that has been rumoured for both the PS4 and Durango, I'm done with console gaming altogether.

8. lithos

lithos Member

And there begins the getting of wisdom.

9. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

Confirmed that used games can be played on PS4. There's no chance MS will do it now, they'd be a pariah.

10. AMD64

AMD64 Member

its 8GB of GDDR5 that can be accessed by either the GPU or the CPU. So its a UMA layout ala the 360 minus the EDRAM.

11. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

wonder what the pricing will be... rumors are is that it will be around 450 to 550 bucks... which seems true cause they are just using tech from AMD's parts bin unlike ps3 which was a pretty big developement at the time... ps3 was like 900 when it came out... so probably around 1200 at todays money.

should see very easy ports from xbox and ps4... even though i have a ps3 but dont actually play games on it.. only use it for media, tv etc.

12. JaS

JaS Member

Well I don't see it going above $650 for the higher SKU (if there's more than one SKU) locally. That's what the X360 with HDD launched at, and that was when our dollar was a lot weaker. They aren't going to make the same mistake as with the PS3 and launch at $799/$999. This should also be cheaper to make - not highly proprietary parts (Cell) and the Blu-ray drive would cost significantly less now.

Happy with the presentation, system seems very powerful and was surprised that it will have 8GB of the super fast GDDR5 - though I'm sure a GB or 2 will be dedicated to the OS and social features. I'm certain the prediction auto-downloading will be able to be switched off - I'd rather just be able to flag future releases that I'm likely to purchase. Not sure why they didn't show the box itself though - though I'd rather the specifications than just the box (ala Nintendo).

While I was very happy to see Infamous pop up I'm disappointed there was no mention of Uncharted 4, but they have to save something for E3 right...?

13. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Used games hurt developers not console makers.
    I am all for consoles that you need to buy new games for.

Its not like Sony and MS have anything to gain from putting DRM on their consoles.

14. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

Sony avoided the whole DRM topic altogether (and rightly so). Whatever MS do Sony will follow and vice versa. It is the publishers who will pressure Sony/MS to put DRM into the consoles, and at the end of the day, they will want to keep them happy, as it will help sell the consoles.

The ball is now in MS's court, so will be interesting to see if they have a response pre-E3.

All I can say is E3 2013 is shaping up to be very interesting indeed.

15. lithos

lithos Member

Amen. We'd see less shit games, too.

EB would definitely up their shelving fees if they did. EDIT: Actually, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a clause in the contracts between the hardware makers and the stores that prevent any sort of used-game sales prevent technology being put in a console.

16. Blah72

Blah72 Member

How so? All it would do is encourage piracy even more and give people another excuse in their minds to pirate games.

Locking games to a console is stupid, if i buy a game and i don't enjoy it as much as i thought i would, i like to either sell it or give it to a friend to play. if its locked to my console and im stuck with it im definitely going to think more than twice before purchasing a game especially if there is no demo for it.

17. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Well that supports his argument. You will only buy games you KNOW you will like, i.e good games. Developers would need to think twice before releasing shit games if people's lowest level of quality to purchase has been raised.

Besides, i would rather give EB games as little money as possible.

Pirating games on consoles is so insanely hard now with internet connects are almost a requirement and needing to sign into a particular service. Also not many games come with an single player/offline component that the games available for a hacked "offline only" console would be minute.

18. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

Not even close to true. It's very, very easy to pirate on 360 and Wii, and you can have full online functionality as well, with no bans for years now.

19. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Dont take this as me being a dick (i am genuinely interested) but do you have any stats on what amount of people hack and pirate consoles like XB360 and Wii?

I would hazard a guess that it is quite small considering the amount effort required to do it, and also the potential risks if caught.

20. lithos

lithos Member

Also, pirated versions of console games always appear before the PC version. Find a torrent site and whack in "Crysis 3" right now; see what sort of results you get. I guarantee you there'll be a dozen or so console versions, and maybe one uncracked PC version.