1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony Playstation 4 PS4 RELEASED! (29.11.13) $549 AUS RRP

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

One of my friends had 8Mb adsl1 when alot of us were still on 1.5Mb...he averaged around 600-700Kb/s downloads. Then adsl2+ came out...and it was actually more expensive to have 8Mb adsl1 than 24Mb adsl2+.

As we all know though, adsl2+ has ALOT of overhead...very rare that anyone gets even close to the maximum throughput that adsl2+ can theoretically do.

2. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

What, your downloading at 7.6 Mbps? Or you mean your connection speed is 7.6Mbps, which at a guess would equate to around 850kb/s download speed?

3. tonner78

tonner78 Member

Anybody else having trouble playing bluray movies..? Seems to be a fairly common issue. Some movies fine, others look like they are going to be fine then hang on a blank screen before the main menu, and nothing will get it further than that.

Assume its an issue they'll fix with a firmware update? :confused::(

4. StreekG

StreekG Member

Just got this free yesterday. What a game, sunk many hours into it last night

5. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

^ ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg

Pretty funny game, though. Need to do some reading to figure out what I'm supposed to do and how the XP/save system works.

6. StreekG

StreekG Member

Yeah i needed to google once or twice after i figured out i wasn't getting far.

7. leonheart1

leonheart1 Member

The best tip I've read for Don't Starve is that the touchpad opens up the map. Prior to this I was running around blindly with no sense of direction. Using the map, the world is actually a lot smaller than I originally thought.

8. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

Sony won't offer option to disable PS4 DualShock 4 light bar

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-option-to-disable-ps4-dualshock-4-light-bar/

Annoying for some, non-issue for others....just seems weird they will not offer the option though seeing as though that light bar chews up so much battery life in the controller and has zero functionality without the camera

When I was playing on a mate's PS4, I found that light bar reflecting off the TV a slight distraction

9. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

Seems like more needless tech. Sometimes Sony just can't help but add that redundant crap into some of their devices :lol: I guess we're just lucky the controller doesn't also have accelerometers, rear touch pad and a 3g sim slot.

10. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Source for claim it chews up battery life?

Also 7 hours of battery life isn't enough? Seriously? I can understand the reflection issues would piss me off too, but to say 7 hours of battery life isn't sufficient some people need to get away from the screen for an hour.

/old man rant.

Actually old man rant continued, still haven't got my PS4, htfu Sony.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  11. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

I play sitting down, so the reflection is a non-issue for me. Get your tv off the milk crate and onto a proper tv stand and you shouldn't see the reflection. It's all physics, man.
    And leds = Low power
    If you want to save power turn off the vibration.
    Or buy a second controller and cycle them as they charge.

12. FoBZY

FoBZY Member

says who?

also , the light is needed when you have more than one controller, to tell who's who

13. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

there have been tests performed by people... google it... i can't remember who it was but disconnecting the light did improve battery life...

no 7 hours isn't enough, its piss poor compared to previous offerings and other current offerings... you have to recharge the dual shock 4 much more often than other controllers (which in the long run means you'd potentially have to replace it sooner as that battery won't last forever)

i don't like having to recharge the controller/battery after a couple of 1-2 hour sessions... thats shit... simple

wow, i disagree with you here... i play sitting down... i have a 65" tv that i sit about 2m from (maybe a lil more), its on a "proper tv stand" as you put it and i still notice the reflection... and if i don't notice the reflection i just notice a big blue (or whatever colour it happens to be at the time) glow coming from wherever my hands are... especially at night if i haven't got the main lights on... its a stupid and useless feature

what was wrong with how the dual shock 3 or sixaxis did it? little indicator on the back of the controller that didn't blind you if you looked at it dead on... yes i'm exaggerating but i really dislike the light in the DS4

14. Rusty

Rusty Member

Dude, sell your ps4 and buy an xbone. I'm sure Micro$ofts offering will be to your satisfaction.....

15. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

If the DS4 light bothers you that much, just open it up and disconnect it.

I'd agree i'd like the option to turn off the light, but meh it's not a big deal. I've got a second controller on standby that I can just swap if my battery dies heh.

16. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

That's not really an option. There's a gaf thread about this very news story, and apparently someone claimed the same cable connected to the lightbar is also connected to the charge port...so you cant disconnect one without the other.

I guess you could always just rip out the LED / break if it was really an issue for you.

17. The MWNN

The MWNN Member

Or put a bit of tape over it rather than ripping your controller apart.

18. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

that wont save battery life. :lol:

19. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

What, the whole 20-25mA of current an LED takes?

20. Rusty

Rusty Member

Common man, That is at least 90 sec of game play right there!