1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony PSP Owners Club and Discussion

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by 303-Acid, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djsherly

djsherly Member

if it is sent bog standard post, then you shouldn't have to pay anything, as the postal limit is i think $1000 before a formal customs entry is required and customs will not pursue gst/duty if the amount that would have been recovered is less than $50. theoretically, they could recover on a posted item worth $500 aus or more (including post), but in my experience *this is not a statement of what your circumstances might be* I have never been asked to pay duties, despite having bought several expensive camera lenses from the US and having them shipped USPS.

using a freight forwarder changes the equation as they will raise a customs entry for you (if the value is over $200 from recollection) and charge a handling fee and whatever customs decide to charge to raise the entry. if you ship express one would assume that it is an air import (unless you can point out an express boat), an entry for that would be $27.10 customs charge plus the ff handling fee.

it's an awesome business isn't it. you charge the guy to send it, and then the guy at the other end to receive it. win both ways!

2. cschris1

cschris1 Member

Because on american ebay they go for less then US$200.....

3. proffesso

proffesso Member

4. DraGoN-BoY

DraGoN-BoY Member

It only accepts credit card purchase yeah? Can't use direct banking to buy?

5. Sefu

Sefu Member

Yep credit card only :(

I also got the Hard Case which is much better than the included one, it has pockets for 2 games and a pocket for other stuff like earphones etc

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  6. DraGoN-BoY

DraGoN-BoY Member

I only got the Hori screen protector.
    Need to invest in a hard case.
    Too bad the site only accepts credit card. :upset:
    Still looking for a way to stop fingerprints, and the Crystal covers look big and bulky.

7. mxxx

mxxx Member

Customs charges you a holding fee (either $60 or $100, i can't remember), then on top of that you pay 10% for GST.

As far as i know they have the right to charge you for anything valued at over $250. It used to be more but they changed the rules recently (which resulted in me getting f#cked over when i bought my girlfriend a nomad from bhphotovideo)...

8. cschris1

cschris1 Member

Should of got them to mark it as a lower value or as a gift

9. mxxx

mxxx Member

yeah but at the time i thought the limit was $500 (i'm fairly sure that's what it used to be), so it would've been safe.

10. Sefu

Sefu Member

With or without custom tax its worth it!

11. Rollsta

Rollsta Member

hey guys,i plan to buy a psp soon from ebay
    but i duno abt the games
    are they in english?
    and psp is region free yeah???
    i just dun wanna buy it and play jap games as i cant read it..lol

12. cschris1

cschris1 Member

Region free for games, with similar regions to DVD's for movies.
    Japanese games have minimal english, however there are US/EU games for around the same cost.

13. da_sebsta

da_sebsta Member

PSP from Hong Kong

hey guys,
    In three weeks my dad is going on a trip to Hong Kong, and ive asked him to get me a psp while he is over there. If theres any one from Hong Kong in here that would know the best place to buy one from? Thx

14. the_wower

the_wower Member

I just got my PSP today, through Ebay, ordered it from Japan.

Version 1.5, im very happy with it.

I have to say, the screen is f***ing awsome, no other way to describe it!!!

I was lucky to get one with no dead pixels, but there is a small peice of cotton or something thats white and its getting pretty annoying with it floating around inside the LCD cover. I think ive got it stuck in a corner though so thats cool now lol.

I think i have worked out most of the stuff (my bloody manuals in hiragana and kanji, which i know little of) , only thing is i havent worked out how to control the brightness, but im sure a nice person would be able to tell me how to do this.?? please:)

I would HAVE to reccomend this to anyone even remotaly thinking about it, get it.

If there are ever UMD burners out, this would be the sweetest peice of portable entertainment availible to us for a while i think.

In conclusion, my thoughts are click the "Buy it Now" button :p

15. proffesso

proffesso Member

there is a button on the front that controls brightness. 3 levels on battery, and an extra bright when plugged into the power.

dont need a umd burner...just get a nice fat memory stick duo pro and pspvideo9 and start encoding :)

16. AzNBoi

AzNBoi Member

You can download the US manual, google :)

17. rival81

rival81 Member

I got mine today too, Japanese version 1.5 from Liksang. All up cost me 500 bucks so i'm pretty happy. Changing the menus to english is easy, and i downloaeded the english psp manual from the US sony site. I've tried the videos...seem great so far...tried music...also seems great. Hopefully my games arrives next week so i can see what this thing is really capable of. I did a dead pixel check and i have zero dead pixels! YAY!!!!! :)

18. Timmy

Timmy Member

19. Rollsta

Rollsta Member

what games r good on the psp and available in english right now?

20. the_wower

the_wower Member

im playing ridge racer at the moment and its got me hooked. ive had my PSP for 24 hours and ive clocked up almost 6 hours of racing time:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.