1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony RX1 - full frame compact camera?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by theDarkHorse, Sep 10, 2012.

1. theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

[​IMG]

24MP full frame CMOS sensor
    ISO range: 100-25,600
    3 in. LCD screen
    5 fps
    Zeiss Sonnar 35mm f/2 lens with 49mm filter thread (obviously)
    Price: $2700

(Source: http://photorumors.com/2012/09/09/sony-rx1-specifications/)

What do you guys reckon? First thing I thought was - it can't be that hard to integrate a viewfinder into the camera?!

2. Gadget_

Gadget_ Member

Agree, how hard would it be to add a viewfinder to a fixed focal length camera?! I wouldn't call this a compact camera though. It will be big.

3. OP
    OP
    theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

It's compact relative to a full-frame DSLR, anyway. I would've made the camera slightly bigger and add a viewfinder (to match something like a Konica Hexar AF) or a slightly smaller lens and add a viewfinder (a la Contax T3).

4. vindicator

vindicator Member

Great price.

5. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Sony is chasing camera enthusiasts very hard if this camera is true.

6. hlokk

hlokk Member

How very.... unusual. Not sure on this one. Although, it would be awesome if you could swap it with a 50mm lense too, but I guess then you just may as well make it a full interchangeable system.
    Hard to tell how large it is, but the lense part looks pretty big, as if they got a standard sized 35mm lens and just stuck a body on it. Sony seem pretty good at getting compact bodies (the NEX5s are just ridiculous), but cant seem to compact their lenses down.
    I imagine a few people will like that aperture ring and scale on the lens, although there doesnt appear to be any focal scales....
    Considering Sony produce the sensors for some rather good sensored cameras (notably the d800 and OMD), this should be a pretty damn good sensor, especially in high ISO (but I guess Sony need the processing algorithms right too).

Good on Sony for releasing stuff with bigger sensors though :thumbup: While it may not suit everyone (E.g. the zomg, I want a rangefinder from the 70s but digital crowd), it will at very least encourage other manufacturers to one up it. It does say you can get an optional viewfinder though.
    Although, I would imagine this camera would appeal to a number of people, nearly $3k for a fixed lens doesnt do it for me...

7. crispy12

crispy12 Member

Wow I'm finding hard to believe this rumour is true, but if it is then Sony is certainly setting a milestone in compact cameras. Very exciting... gives more pressure to the other companies, especially Leica!

8. psychedelic

psychedelic Member

Can't imagine too many people who care about it being full frame are going to want to use it without a VF.. Unless it'll have a hotshoe one

And that price is wow

9. sn1pr

sn1pr Member

I'm somewhat relieved Sony pushed this out rather than an new iteration of nex-7.

Where the flash is, a viewfinder should be in there. The same one Fuji uses.

I know I won't be buying that....because I can't afford that.

10. SyN

SyN Member

whats with the obsession with viewfinders?
    seems like i'm missing something...
    TTL OVF would be good, but obviously not for a camera like this
    on the x100 I had I only ever used the LCD, unless when I'm in super bright sunlight

11. vindicator

vindicator Member

I exclusively use the OVF (review turned off) on my X100, but I'm always out at night.

[​IMG]

Awesome.

12. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

That's pretty cool! Sort of want.

13. OP
    OP
    theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

I seriously cannot stand shooting at arms' length. It just doesn't feel right.

14. SyN

SyN Member

is it a habit thing?
    shooting at arms length has its benefits. can see outside the frame, easier to angle or position camera, can raise it past your eyelevel

15. OP
    OP
    theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

I think it's predominantly a habit thing, but also that my arms are pretty shaky most of the time, so I need all the stability I can get.

16. sn1pr

sn1pr Member

I say to put a OVF/EVF is because the flash in its size isn't that useful. Remove the flash, the remaining space fits an EVF. It has the f2.0 and then 25.6k iso. If you need anymore light than that, you're in the territory for off camera flash.
    Then you get more shots from not battery draining with flash.

17. SyN

SyN Member

not sure if you can just fit it on without adding extra bulk. its why ppl prefer nikon J1 over V1. only real difference between the two is the EVF and flash. With the EVF the V1 substantially chunkier even though it doesnt have a flash

18. chilloutbuddy

chilloutbuddy Member

retrofocus lens... shame

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  19. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

I can't see a reason why they couldn't put an Electronic Viewfinder in there... not sure how they're going to put an Optical one in there, or does this unit have the mirror box in it?

Gotta love full frame though :D
    Size does matter when it comes to image quality (along with less MPs)
    :thumbup:

20. SyN

SyN Member

There's always going to be things to complain about
    But I think Sony's done a really good job. Simple high quality camera with serious performance. Like the x100 but this seems miles ahead lol
    Only concern is the cost. Even though a 5D/D800 + good prime will set you back at least $4000, I'm not quite sure how much this little baby will depreciate..