1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony RX100 - S100/G1x Competitor?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Modafroman, Jun 6, 2012.

1. lithos

lithos Member

Ikelite's got a dive housing for this for $400!

This is getting more and more tempting...

2. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

How will you make phone calls when you're out? :p

3. lithos

lithos Member

People make phone calls with their phones?

:confused:

4. Nafe

Nafe Member

They do what now?/

5. lithos

lithos Member

I think they're talking about those little Angry Birds/Facebook consoles people walk around with in their pockets.

6. Nafe

Nafe Member

Ohhh, you mean my Facebook Messenger Voice Chat! :D

7. Midz

Midz Member

Is anything in the pipeline that will be better then this camera?

I'm going away in Jan but if there is going to be nothing better by the time Jan comes around I might as well buy now and play.

I currently have a lx-3 and was thinking about getting a S110 but I think this might be better but then again lx-7 is also around.

Thanks.

8. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

I think honestly there'll be a lul in the competitors for this camera. Really it's pretty different to the normal thinking... Most stick with an APS-C/N crop sensor and forget the zoom, or go tiny and add a stupid zoom. This is right there in the normal use range, and does well at night, with high resolution for lower ISO.

Seriously, it's a good camera, I don't see much in the way of competition in the immediate future, and anything that does, won't be significantly different quality wise, it'll just bump the price down a bit probably.

9. passivekid

passivekid Member

This camera be OK for some P&S for a real camera beginner? I just want to be able to take some good quality photos on my next trip away.

Any alternatives?

PS. This camera has been mentioned in TIME magazine over here.

10. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Yes it will... even though mine is stuck in Japanese, the graphic interface is really easy to understand. I think if you have an english menu system you'll be fine.

11. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

hell i never use my mobile phone for calls. :lol:

i use it as a tether for wifi internet on the tablet!

12. Cheatz

Cheatz Member

I love the s95/s100 for pocketability and its easy intuitive menu.

My past experiences with sony cameras and phones makes me wary of SLOW and poorly thought out menu design requiring lots of clicks to set something. How is it with this thing?

More importantly, what is the pocketability like? i have an LX3 and i think that's not pocketable. The s100 however fits very comfortable in my front jeans pocket (where i always keep a camera or phone). After having my s100 stolen im not sure whether to grab another one or try out the rx100. I feel like this might be too big for front jeans pockets and sharp edges.

Thoughts?

13. onrelas

onrelas Member

Best bet is to just go to the store and check one out. Personally I don't think they're pocketable like my old S90, however it does depend how big your pockets are ;)

14. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

If you can pocket a wifi tether, you can pocket the RX100 without looking like you got ass raped

[​IMG]
    Sony Cybershot RX100 by Avaery, on Flickr

What you want to do is find a thin leather case for it so you can slip into your pocket in and out to avoid a mess of lint, dust and whatever lives in your jeans/shirt pocket. Not that outrageous $99 jacket that Sony's trying to pawn over the counter.

15. onrelas

onrelas Member

There are some real nice leather cases I saw for them in Japan. Definitely the way to go.

Here is a pic of the RX100 next to a Canon s100 http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6501_7-10012505-2.html (I'm sure there's better pics around the net), and a comparison with measurements here http://camerasize.com/compare/#140,332

When I was checking them out it was the thickness of the RX100 that made it not pocketable for me personally.
    To compare against your old S100, the RX100 is almost 1cm thicker and a little bit heavier.
    I feel as though my S90 is only just pocketable, so I couldn't imagine having a bigger camera unless I was going to put it in a jacket pocket for example. No chance with jeans.

Like I said though, the type of clothes you wear will dictate whether or not it's pocketable for you.