Sony sells VAIO PC business

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by 2SHY, Feb 7, 2014.

1. 2SHY

2SHY Member

2. lithos

lithos Member

3. OP
    OP
    2SHY

2SHY Member

MacBook Air was clearly inspired by the Sony Vaio xa505. Anyone who says it doesn't is delusional.

4. isaaus

isaaus Member

My biggest gripe with Sony is/was, short life span and no follow up to x505, had the chance to use it for a day and I loved it.

Sony had great designs but for me failed to back it up with after sales support and somewhat build quality also.

5. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Man that sucks :(

I love my Sony Vaio Pro, it's serving me really well. My only major gripe about it is the wireless which can't seem to handle big downloads (e.g. downloading a large game through Steam).
    For general stuff from browsing to watching YT and more intensive stuff like photo editing and playing games, it's been great.

6. jtir

jtir Member

As a long time purchaser and user of Sony laptops, I will surely miss the Sony VAIO product range.

Hopefully the VAIO direction and product range isn't to heavily killed off with the new owners.

7. mtma

mtma Member

With their more radical designs they tended to push the envelope too far quite often which certainly didn't help reputation - and having to wait weeks for a repair in some cases just rubbed it in.

8. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

I found the products slightly overpriced but once you uninstalled all of the bloatware they were some gorgeous machines. I would make love to this thing:

[​IMG]

9. lithos

lithos Member

"NONONONONONO EVERY APPLE DESIGN WAS SPRUNG, FULLY-FORMED, FROM JONY IVES' ALABASTER-WHITE ANUS LALALALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU."

See also: iPhone...

10. isaaus

isaaus Member

AFAIK Sony Vaio designers were hired by Apple to design macbook/pros from ibook onwards.

11. lithos

lithos Member

I'll say this about Sony: I fucking love their industrial design.

To me, growing up in the 90s, flipping through a Sony Style mag was like a glimpse into the future.

12. isaaus

isaaus Member

^^ I remember going to sony world (indian version of a sony style/store) and spending few hours gazing at what I was going to save for next.

Sony Vaio's were great, X505 will always have that special place in my heart. But fact is, Sony achieved great designs but failed to deliver improved second versions.

Just to list a few:
    - X505
    - Qualia Camera (2mp camera with briefcase full of accessories) :Paranoid:
    - Waterproof/shockproof boom box style speakers (early 2000's white/orange styles)

Plus the after sales support, I just wish, Vaio doesn't turn into lenovo :(

13. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  14. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

For a bit of clarification, VAIO won't actually exist outside of Japan and the laptops won't be owned or designed by Sony at all.

The VAIO group of Sony Australia no longer exists but Sony will be bringing out their new SKU's in a few weeks which have upgraded RAM in some models and Windows 8.1 all round. There's 3 months of stock coming in before you see the last of the brand so if you want a piece of history that will last you a few more years, go for it :)

If I had the cash I'd be getting the VAIO Red limited edition Pro 13. It has hand painted carbon fibre and a 512GB x4 lane mPCIe SSD (1.09GB/s Read), something like that will most likely never be seen on a consumer laptop again and it's a collectors item as well.

It is a bit sad that VAIO won't be here for much longer :(

15. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Re: Every 2013 model Apple laptop (Air/Retina 13/15) has an x2 PCIe SSD capable of 1GB/sec

16. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

In theory, but their SSD's only go up to 700mb/s, I know because I was in charge of testing them against the VAIO Pro's SSD on the x4 lane :)

As far as I am aware, no other laptop has hand painted carbon fibre that has been manufactured in house and certainly no other OEM does uni-directional CFRP.

Achieving 1.06kg's for a 13" laptop is a pretty big feat.

17. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Yep you're right - The Air manages just under 800, although the 15" does better

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...retina-15-depasse-1go-s-avec-4-lignes-de-pcie

Either way it's a shame to see Vaio close up shop - IMHO they are (were) the only PC laptop manufacturer that made good laptops, although others are catching up slowly.

18. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

It is a shame indeed and I dare say that many more will exit the PC market this year as the competition is so high and the margins are so low unless you happen to make the components that go into your laptops (Asus and Samsung are prime examples).

19. wwwww

wwwww Member

In 3 years time I reckon there will be some competition for my Vaio Z. Full HD is starting to get dated, most new ultrabooks are only one drive away from being able to RAID the SSDs, most new ultra books are only a few hundred grams heavier and you only can just use your desktop when you want to do some processor intensive work so the full powered i7 is kind of pointless.

Also the touchpad is too small and other laptops have better speakers.

20. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

My last 3 laptops were Vaios...
    My most recent one is a ASUS US36D, and the only reason I got that was coz I couldn't afford the Vaio Z at the time :(