Sony Xperia Z

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Oppressa, Jan 8, 2013.

1. thecondor

thecondor Member

Hmmm I cant seem to find any videos or anything that show how to flash without unlocking bootloader.

2. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Hmm, just try flashing a global 434 using the latest flashtool and the flashmode drivers. And update to 235 from pc companion.

I flashed a global/rooted/deodex'd 434 using flashtool a few times before unlocking my BL. I think jumping straight from 434 to 235 might cause some issues with the updated kernel.

3. FFC

FFC Member

So Apple has their find my phone built in, samsung have dive or whatever it is called.

What do Sony have? The reliance on a third party app I presume...?

4. Damn_Good

Damn_Good Member

I had a play with an S4 today at telstra and the demo setup was very pretty. The samsung OS is very polished. It looks like it's had a heap more work put into it than the default sony skin. The screen was brilliant and the guy at work says he gets 5 hours screen time out of his which is less than I get on the Z but that's at a cut down brightness and without bravia engine.

As predicted though the s4 isn't as stylish or as sturdy as the Z. Still looks like cheap samsung poly-carb plastic and though not as flimsy as the s3, it still requires a delicate touch not to have it audibly creak and screen blur during use. The camera wasn't anything special, better than the z but still not what I've already seen on much older phones like the lumia series.

Launch speed differences weren't that noticable for myself. They each get things going in a very respectable time (except the camera launch on the Z, wtf!).

5. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Installing carbon rom now, supposedly it's up to scratch as a daily rom.

Going to miss the docomo status bar D:

edit: yeah nahh, it's not.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  6. Digit

Digit Member

How long does it take to launch the camera app? Am keen on this or the ZR eventually.

7. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Fixed my issues with carbon and it's probably the most stable AOSP based rom out for the Z now. Though the audio is about the same as stock. You can install purexaudio and get it working, however it skips whenever you're listening to music. ajkl;sdfl;asjdflmnv,.zmxncvl;ha:W?RgtAL?:SKCFgh,.zmxncgvlz.shjkgf;

Going back to stock rom until someone releases an audio mod for the AOSP/4.2.2 builds.

It's a lot quicker now with the latest update.

8. peterkip

peterkip Member

I've got a Telstra XZ and received the 10.1.1.A.1.253 update today after rebooting my phone

9. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

looks like update 307 is making its rounds now. Should be the last update before we get 4.2.2 :thumbup::thumbup:

10. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Just updated to 307 this morning. Couldn't notice any changes at all so I suspect its very minor like fixing bugs. Couldn't find any changelog for this fw either.

11. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

319 and 407 have been certified now. Apparently 407 is 4.2.2 and should be out in 2-3 weeks :thumbup:

12. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Anybody noticed black spots when taking photos with back camera? Happened on mine and now waiting for parts from Sony. Also noticed some dust or stuck pixels on my screen, which will be fixed along with the camera. Happy with the service, but not happy with the quality issues :(. Apparently the black spots on the camera is a well know problem, and I've seen this on a few demo units at the store too.

13. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

Could you please supply some photos which point out said black spots :/

14. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

15. FFC

FFC Member

Wow that's really bad. :(

16. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  17. FFC

FFC Member

So 6 months away for those on a carrier phone? :p

18. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Apparently it's already been pushed to carriers and sony are expecting end of this month/beginning of july for the update to rollout.

I've been running the ported dev version, some minor things are missing but it's definitely daily driver worthy.

19. mental_empathy

mental_empathy Member

My phone just got stuck in a never ending boot loop with the sony screen logo, Xperia Logo and wavy lines.

I had turned off the phone to try and restart it, then I saw a wrench symbol

Anyone had this happen before??

Much like this
    http://communities.sonyericsson.com/thread/130582

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  20. mtma

mtma Member

I received my XZ today.

One comment so far is that the screen's pitfalls are much more blatant when the light is low (i.e not in a store)

Everything else is pretty nice so far.

Out of interest is the thing that looks like an 'N" on the back of the phone a sticker that you can remove? Looks kind of out of place.