Sony Xperia Z

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Oppressa, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

Making me feel bad about my Nexus 4 purchase... I was seriously considering the Xperia Z but after reading the reviews and looking at the price tag I just couldn't go with it :upset:

2. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Just a word of warning for people thinking about grabbing it online from optus, due to "huge demand" it's a 2 week wait. Was supposed to get mine yesterday, called up today and found out won't be getting it until at least next week. At least I got two extra months free ontop of the promo they were having.

3. FFC

FFC Member

Do telstra fill these with bloat or fuck with the firmware at all?

Looking to replace my faulty S3 and this could be the ticket.

4. thecondor

thecondor Member

I got mine from Telstra and there is only a couple of small telstra things on it. Seems that there is pretty much next to nothing actually.

Coming from a s3 4g im loving the build quality its nice to hold a phone that feels like a phone and not a plastic toy.

5. Uncle-Fester

Uncle-Fester Member

Ahh fuckit I gonna buy one these today.

The bad reviews were putting me off but you guys changed my mind.

6. thecondor

thecondor Member

What reviews did you watch/read?

The reviews I watched praised the phone, I also read the gsmarena review and they seemed to love it also.

7. Uncle-Fester

Uncle-Fester Member

Well the reviews only attacked the screen quality.

8. FFC

FFC Member

The GSM Arena review pretty much says it's amazing.

I am going to pick one of these up today provided the store has stock.

"The Power Saver setting helps you extend your battery life by toggling things like Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth screen brightness, auto sync and background data on and off automatically when the battery charge falls below a certain user-defined threshold, turn off the Wi-Fi if there is no saved Wi-Fi network in range or turn off the mobile data when the screen is off."

The wifi thing is good. I got sick of turning that off every time I left the house or got home to save on battery.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  9. lithos

lithos Member

This. The biggest killer of battery life is having the Wifi constantly search for signals when there is none to be had.

There's a GSM arena shootout between the Z and the S4, and they side with the S4...of course. But most of the stuff they (and a lot of other tech sites) preach is mostly nerdbait that most users won't use - higher clock speed, barometer/hygrometer.

Plus they say that the S4 has a better quality screen...fuck off. Pentile AMOLED is shithouse. About the only thing going for it is the nerds' lust for novel tech, no matter how useful said tech actually is.

10. 2SHY

2SHY Member

That comparison is retarded. No AMOLED display is good, ever. TouchWiz close to stock Android? Wut?

What ever they are smoking, they ought to share it.

Reviews/Comparisons these are useless. Just test out for yourself see if your happy and buy. It is all based on opinion anyway.

11. lithos

lithos Member

To me, the "If I spill a schooner of Stone & Wood on it, will it be fucked?" question is the most important of all. To me the Z wins, though I'm sure the S4's hygrometer will tell you that the humidity's reached 100% being sparking out from the beer. (Of course the Z doesn't have a hygrometer. Such a device would need exposure to the atmosphere, which would negate the even better function the Z has - weatherproofing.)

Yes, the battery life's worse by comparison, but most phones are. Until we get back to the 3310 glory days of leaving the phone for a week before it dips below 50%, I won't be impressed. Sony's doing something practical about it.

And, yeah, about the UI - everyone else, including Sony, has said that the Experience Flow UI is only a very lightweight mod on stock Android.

And, well, the Sony is ultra-premium on the outside and decently-premium on inside, whereas the Samsung is ultra-premium on the inside and utterly pedestrian on the outside.

I only wish I could afford it :(.

12. thecondor

thecondor Member

I just paid out the mro thing with telstra which was like $360 (only been in contract 2months)

Seemed a cheap way to get the phone and i bloody love it.

13. Dumpty

Dumpty Member

Whats the status on Display differences, a little worried to order one, thinking of this or holding out for a S IV Octa 4G LTE

14. Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779 Member

Got my Xperia ZL today and love it.

The bundled MH-EX300AP annoy me a little in that they are 90% of the way to being on par with my AF56m canalphones but have a J-cord design which I love. So now I am torn between using the OEM headphones or my beloved Audiofly ones for day to day use haha

The extra bass that is both clean and not overpowering as well as the slightly more defined range of sound and virtually tangle free cord of the AF56m canalphones will probably keep me from succuming to the J-cord.

Back to the phone the quality of the build is great, the "issues" with the screen appears to me more like people wanting to hate on something. The remote app is freaking sweet. No other way to explain it, I just love it.

The camera..... well macro shots aren't as good as my GSII and night/low light aren't either. However full day light shots and video far exceed the GSII. I hope there are some camera mods in ROMs soon though. Sony really likes to fuck with there cameras for some reason. Every other company seems to be able to code them better. Especially apple within a year or two whatever sensor the flagship sony was using, it ends up in an iphone taking far better shots.

The walkman app is great and the ability to use my UD100 USB DAC is fantastic and am loving this phone from a media point of view.

All in all love it and will report back with more once I have spent more time with it.

15. BluBoy

BluBoy Member

I've had mine for about a month now... I highly recommend it! Just my thoughts:

+ The physical shape looks amazing. I know it is a personal thing, but looks significantly better than the rounded S3.
    - Although it looks better, It doesn't feel right when it's up against your face. Hold a hard cover book up there, and you'll notice it's different (to both your hand and your face).

+ Water proofing is amazing. I no longer fear using it in the rain, and I consider it inbuilt insurance against the inevitable accident. The input covers add to the sleek shape of the phone and seem to do a decent enough job.
    - It does get a bit annoying opening and closing the silly things when you charge and wear headphones. First thing I want is a docking station to overcome the charging hassle... Might consider a bluetooth headset later on.

+ I have used the Touchwiz, Miui and CM10 cyanogenmod interfaces a lot (and a few custom ones from the play store). Without a doubt, I am liking the Sony one a lot more. I could write an essay explaining it, but it basically works well, fluid/smooth, things are where you'd logically expect them and it looks pretty schmick.
    ? I usually instantly put a custom firmware on my phones, so I wanted to have a comment about the availability of custom ROMs. Well, a month in, I havent even thought about putting anything else on, purely because I am enjoying the Sony one as it is.
    - The one thing I wish the UI had was the ability to add more rows/columns to the homescreen/app drawer. I miss this feature!
    - Also, there are a few 'Sony' apps which some may consider junk. To be fair, I've just moved these into a folder and have pretty much ignored them since the start. There is nothing obtrusive about it and I'm pretty sure most things can still be uninstalled.

+ Battery life lasts me two full days of moderate use (I've disabled LTE as it isn't in my area). Screen obviously sucks the juice, but I've gone on a 6 hour bike ride, with runkeeper (GPS) and walkman (MP3) playback the entire time, I had used ~20% of battery life when i returned home.

+ The packaged headphones are better than the $2 set you'd get with any other phone. Audiophiles will stick to their own music makers, but most people will be able to hear the difference between this and another phone+headset combo.

+ Screen is amazing. Yes, pictures and HD movies look great, but I've been pleasantly surprised with readability of websites on this screen. I find I can fit more on the screen, and still have it readable compared to my old phone (S3).
    - I can see what people mean regarding the viewing angles being poor. To be fair though, in general use, you don't go beyond its limitation... It just looks perfect for sole use. (Sharing a pic/video to a group is where you'll notice the lightness... But how often will you do this?)

The only thing that would have tempted me to the S4 would be the faster processor and LTE inbuilt (better battery). However the Sony is no slouch and LTE means nothing to me (at the moment)... With all of the other perks the Sony has over the Sammy, I'm pretty happy with my choice!

16. ssnke

ssnke Member

Zing! I thought I bought it for a good price today ($624).. but I guess its what I get for making an impulse buy (since it can be had for $610 ptentially)...

I've just migrated all my crap from my Note2..

I had some time to kill at the shops today.. walked into DSE which had the phone advertised for $699, I asked if they had stock out of curiosity.. because I was going to buy it from eglobal a month ago for $632 with delivery.. There was stock and its at $624..

Originally a month ago after a few days of debate.. I decided not to buy it.. And when I went to order it was out of stock.. but today seeing how Syd weather is shit! this is waterproof.. and HD resolution.. I said F it! I'll buy it..

in 6months Note3 comes out and i'll get that..

potentially I could of saved another $20.. but comparing grey import price, This has AU warranty, pretty good value!

I've hated Sony since they consumed Ericsson... so its nice to use SONY again for now...
    Its adjusting from Samsung Key design back to Sony that's confusing..

What to do with my Note2...

Comparing it to the Note2, I'm loosing visual space with the android menu's I thought the Z would have more things showing on the line.. so it must be the way android's been customized.. The Z feel HEAPS lighter..
    I can now carry the phone without the need of a wallet since its more durable!

The upgrade of the Z is suppose to be released in a few months.. Waterproof is a must with these dam smartphones!

17. Uncle-Fester

Uncle-Fester Member

Just got mine loving it.

18. fredaroony

fredaroony Member

You got the C6503? If so, where from and how much?

19. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

just got mine, surprised to find that it came with the .434 update. No optus branding or software on it at all either.

Custom rom installed :thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  20. FFC

FFC Member

Anyone had one of these for 3-4 weeks and can comment on their thoughts this far into owning one?