Sonya, Jake & The Kombi - Portraits Session

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Deftone2k, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

So.. as some may have/may not have seen I got my own site up and going and have started sharing some of my new content (lots of old stuff to edit and get blog ready).

I have shot Sonya before (posted her fashion stuff here).. her boyfriend has restored a Kombi and wants to use it for weddings so I said id help him get some shots. Will be shooting it again, few things I need (CPL for one) and a storyboard of what to present for his site which im also going to help with. Anyway ask them to help me out with a portrait session after we shot the Kombi and combined the two.. was fun.. its a rad Kombi.. and we had some Rad light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its set out like a storyboard but thought I would share it. If you want you can check out the full blog post below;

http://www.jackchauvel.com/sonya-jake-the-kombi-newport-portrait-session/

Am finding in Sydney at the moment around.. 5-5:45 some epic lighting to shoot in :) Get on it.

Shot at Freshwater/Newport Beach

2. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

I know we are not supposed to comment on the models but may I say I'm totally loving the bus!

3. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Member

awesome kombi. "i've been everywhere, man!" :weirdo:

LOVE number 11. amazing shot. really really well done.

4. OP
    OP
    Deftone2k

I think it is fitting you replied first, and definitely comments allowed on it :) I gave him plenty more Kombi shots obviously ;)

5. Intric8

Intric8 Member

Backlighting in #11 is killer :thumbup:

6. pogue_mahone

pogue_mahone Member

Great set... nice, clear, sharp images. Awesome stuff.

7. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

#11 is definitely the pick of the bunch for me as well - it actually looks photoshopped, but photoshopped VERY well.
    :weirdo:

One thing I'd probably say though is that it looks like your WB varies significantly throughout. I know the conditions on the day probably changed (ie, light got warmer as the shoot went on), but the first few shots look very cold compared to the last few...

8. OP
    OP
    Deftone2k

^ spot on. Light changed significantly over around 4 hours or so and was SO harsh when we started in the first location (no shade whatsoever). A lot of the Kombi only stuff I kept quite cool/neutral to match its style. It is essentially two shoots combined as one. The Kombi on its own where I delivered around 35 shots and the portrait shoot which I ended up with about 25. Once I introduced the couple I then balanced it out more to match it up.

Light in & around the van changed a lot too with so much glass and surfaces for light to bounce off.. as well as direction of shooting (around the back of the van was completely different to when sitting up front.. as you can see).

In regards to #11 .. its quite cool SOOC but at the angle I was shooting at.. there was enough ambient I didnt need to fill at all. Originally I had kept quite a few of the shots 'cooler' as it was also a test set for my new preset but after speaking with (Toan) I decided to warm it up.

SOOC below. Simply adjusted the fill, WB (to keep the skin tones the way I wanted) and adjusted curves to suit. Mind this is also prior to my preset :)

[​IMG]

I also shot the majority of the whole shoot with the 35mm f2d (not bad for $200 glass ;)) as I didnt have my 50 with me that day. I had gone to change a few times but found it easier to shoot the way I wanted too with the 35. I basically let them do their thing and wandered around the van shooting. Giving a few directions as we went. All in all portraits were done in about 25-30mins in total with a good 5-10min of waiting for old fogies to move out of the very obvious location we were shooting.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  9. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

got more pics of the van? :leet::o:leet:

10. triggerpeg

triggerpeg Member

I was thinking the same thing!. Those chrome VW hubs would have made an awesome photo/ reflection of the couple..:)

11. two40

two40 Member

Cool set :) Did they let you drive it? That would have been my preferred payment method for the shoot. ;)

12. zach

zach (Banned or Deleted)

Top stuff Jacky, filmy looking preset works a treat. Site is looking pretty polished too.

13. rasice

rasice Member

Love 1-8. Nice job

14. checks202

checks202 Member

Some really nice work to be inspired by. Love the way it's bright and inviting. Such a great feel. :):thumbup:

PS: That Kombi rocks. :)

15. disci

disci Member

Nice set Jack. Number 11 definitely for the win, too.

Thanks for sharing.

Des

16. CapnBloodbeard

CapnBloodbeard Member

This is fantastic work. I love your style :thumbup:

17. DracZ

DracZ Member

Nice set mate, #11 is a standout, but #8 is cute also :D

18. OP
    OP
    Deftone2k

Cheers dudes... love shooting this time of year. Unfortunately no net at my new place yet so forum time is only at work.

Unfortunately I didnt get to drive the Kombi.. I am going to shoot it again so ill post it up once I do :)

19. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

I know what you mean about long shoots and changing light conditions… :(
    One thing that helped me in the past was to use split toning. Especially in the highlights, if you add a warm/golden colour to the highlights (say something like HUE 45, SATURATION 20 as a starting point) then adjust the balance so that it’s more or less just the highlights that are effected, I find you can introduce some warmth without compromising skin tones.

20. OP
    OP
    Deftone2k

Used to do it a lot more, but its more just a subtle addition to my preset now. If im working on a set now its generally focused around presenting each location uniquely... or just keeping to one location.

I would say for example not have shot that first spot if it wasnt for the Kombi and just shot at the beach over an hour and a bit in the arvo. I think its something we tend to over think anyway.. I mean from a client point of view they dont notice it at all :)