Souffle Omlettes

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Hater, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Hater

Hater Member

If you're having the same problem as me (hard to find fresh enough eggs in winter) try this as an alternative to poaching your mornings eggs... (or coddling them)

Seperate the whites/yolks

Pinch of salt in the yolks, pinch of sugar in the whites

Whip the whites until peaks form

Fold the yolks into the whites

Cook as per normal over a pre-heated pan on very low

Magic!

2. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

A mate of mine showed me this way of making them years back. I've tried them dozens of times and they always look really impressive while they're cooking, but once I serve them on a plate, they deflate and end up looking like a regular omelette. More research required.

3. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

That video was a second time I did it as I was so excited. Now i've had a few weeks of doing it they're much better. The secret is to let them set for a very long time before attempting to flip. Mine are looking pretty good now. I'll take a pic next time I make them.

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I've tried that, to the point where I end up with an almost powdery crust on the bottom before flipping. I've even tried not flipping them at all, but rather pulling them off and finishing under a grill, same result, flat omelette :( Maybe I just suck :p

Edit: Also, wtf is a coddled egg? Last I checked coddling was another word for babying/spoiling, like with an only child...

5. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

It's where you break the eggs into greased ramekins and then put the ramekins in water to cook... so it's kind of like a poached egg but... in a mould

Hmm. Quality eggs? How stiff are your whites before folding?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Oh right. My other half has a special pan for cooking her eggs like that, although she still calls them poached. I've never been brave enough to argue :Paranoid:

7. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

Yeah that's an egg coddler!

That's how cafes do their poached eggs a lot of the time anyway. I prefer to poach the old fashioned way because... I dunno less one use kitchen crap I have to store

EvilGenius likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

C25EC898-D37A-47EB-925E-444AF2EE5C57.jpeg 4CFADE80-0C60-49A4-88CA-50DA660963A1.jpeg

Having no issues with fluffiness! I think a broader spatula is required, when flipping using two next to each other... it’s not ideal and it breaks.

9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I've been wanting to get a really wide silicon spatula for making a different type of stuffed omelette. I usually make up a standard egg mix, drizzle into the pan and then layer in cheese over the whole lot, but then put whatever fillings over only half. Usually bacon/tomato/onion etc, other things depending on what we have available like mushrooms or various cured meats. Once mostly cooked through I flip the bare half of the omelette over the half with fillings and let it all cook together. Very difficult to get that flip done right with a skinny spatula, especially if the egg tries to stick to the pan a bit or the mix isn't quite right.

10. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

I wonder if you could get like... think of a big egg ring, one that is omelette sized... and then place it on a sandwich press, and use both heated elements of a sandwich press to cook both sides simultaneously?

11. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I can't see why not? Although it's going to restrict the rise in the egg mix, might cause it to collapse.

In other news, we picked up a new fry pan last week, omg it's amazing. It's got a really bumpy finish on it so I was dubious at first, but half way through cooking its first omelette I could see all the edges were raised up and curling inwards, then when I went to flip I tilted the pan and the whole thing nearly slid out. Very impressed.

12. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

thats how crepe pans work, you wait until the sides fold in!

EvilGenius likes this.
  13. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Sigh. Had another crack at these today. Beautifully fluffy in the pan, held when flipped, then turned into pancakes seconds after being put on the plate. Every time :(

14. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

ahhhh

hmm. how fresh are your eggs?

15. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Erm, we probably go through a dozen in a week, so however old they are from woolies or aldi when we buy them +0-7days-ish.

I mentioned this to my other half after serving her a flat omelet and she mentioned having read somewhere that you should do it with room temp eggs rather than cold from the fridge. I haven't tried that yet, but was going to give it a crack next time I try it.

I think the worst part of it is the feeling of success while it's cooking in the pan, only to watch it deflate on the plate.

16. OP
    OP
    Hater

Hater Member

Hmm. I always store my eggs in the cupboard so I didn't factor that into the calculation

It's the hot/cold/condensation that kills them, so bring them home and bung them in the cupboard

Also my eggs come from a local butcher who gets them right from the farm, supermarket eggs are usually at least a fortnight old when you get them (judging by my extremely scientific method of "how much do these explode when they hit the water when poaching them")

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  17. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Not sure cupboard storage is really an option here, not in summer at least. I mean I wouldn't be surprised to come home after a summer day to find half my eggs soft boiled in the shell :Paranoid: That and if you buy them from woolies here they're already in the refrigerated section when you buy them. Aldi shelf store them (like woolies used to up until maybe 6mths ago?) but yeah, my whole life eggs have been a refrigerated item.

Do you think leaving eggs for the morning out overnight or an hour prior to come up to room temp would help?

18. clonex

clonex Member

Probs should of taken pic of it before i folded it as the photo of it flat is after i folded and opened it.

Had lid on pan and it was a good inch or so thick, old man reckons dont be afraid to take it off early as itll continue to still cook for a while after you fold it.

20201227_074935.jpg
    View attachment 30072
    20201227_074912.jpg