Sound card advice for 5.1 sound in games

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Radley, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Radley

Radley Member

I'm looking for a sound card that can do DD Live for games via optical. Preferably one that is PCIe and does not require a secondary power source like molex. Do they even still exist?
    Alternatively is it possible to output sound via HDMI to my AVR but use DP for the video signal to my monitors?

2. deluxe

deluxe Member

Yes, I run this setup.

3. OP
    OP
    Radley

Radley Member

Oh awesome I've searched but had no luck. Which HDMI do you use - the one for onboard video or from the video card? I didn't think the video card could output sound.

4. deluxe

deluxe Member

I use hdmi out from my dedicated gpu. All hdmi connections can send digital audio, it's part of the spec, windows just treats it as another audio device to route to.

5. deluxe

deluxe Member

The motherboard in your sig could do optical out as well- the disadvantage of this method is that optical doesn't have the bandwidth for lossless 5.1, only lossy 5.1 or lossless stereo

6. OP
    OP
    Radley

Radley Member

I'm currently using the motherboard for optical out but it only does DD or DTS if it's a video and not a game. I need something that converts the game audio into DD Live to get the surround and I think HDMI does that.
    I have just been reading a bit more and one person said that you can't output audio only from HDMI it needs to be sent with a video source. If this is true it would stuff my grand plans.

7. deluxe

deluxe Member

DDL should work over optical. Are you using W10?

And yes- when I have dp to display + hdmi to receiver connected, windows is adding a second desktop. I have a tv connected for big-screen viewing, but audio output to receiver will work if the tv is not on or if no tv is connected

8. OP
    OP
    Radley

Radley Member

Yes, and I'm fairly sure my motherbaord does not support it though.

9. deluxe

deluxe Member

I see. It would be worth testing if the hdmi solution can work for you before you purchase another sound card. What specific games are you trying to get it working with?