sound deadening materials for pc case

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Bion1c, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

recently i bought a TJ07 and i'm planning an upgrade to my main pc

i've been using an antec p180b for years, and have been a bit spoiled by the thick, noise reducing panels in the case

while the TJ07 has arguably the best layout for a WC system, the side panels seem like they'd be prone to vibration since they're large, light sheets of aluminum.

i'm contemplating buying some Dynamat to use on the case side panels, and some internal surfaces (e.g. behind motherboard tray, possibly on sides of drive cage). this is intended to increase the weight of the panels to reduce vibration noise.

Has anyone used Dynamat on a PC case before? could you share what your results were? did it make any noticeable difference?

i know pccasegear used to stock acoustipack, but they dont seem to at the moment. would that be better to use than dynamat? from what i read, to stop vibration i need to add mass to the panel, so just gluing foam on it wouldnt do much?

(note: fans/fan controllers are already covered, so assume that any noise reductions possibly by choosing quieter fans is already done)

2. SingAlong

SingAlong (Banned or Deleted)

I'd say plain foam is not gonna cut it, as the weight is too low to have an effect in your case.

What you need is some "closed-cell" foam, which is used in recording studios. This will wight a bit more than the normal open foam, and will absorb noise a lot better than the open foam, especially in the higher frequencies! :thumbup:

Hope this helps a bit ;)

3. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

4. Dave2972

Dave2972 Member

Jaycar sell some sound deadening mat, here.

5. OP
    OP
    Bion1c

Bion1c Member

thanks for the tips guys.. but i dont think anything "foam" based is going to work.

the idea is to increase the weight of the side panels so they dont resonate.

out of the jaycar products, the bitumen based one here is probably suitable, but i think dynamat is going to be the "gold plated" solution.. dynamat is designed for car audio, you put it on the inside of the door skin to stop the door panels resonating

but yeah has anyone actually used bitumen / dynamat on their pc?

i found this in the archives.. but i dont think AnotherAndyM has been around here for a long time :(

6. SingAlong

SingAlong (Banned or Deleted)

Sounds like a ghost account to me! Did you try PM AndyM? :thumbup:

7. tek_01

tek_01 Member

It would work like you want it to by adding mass to the panels. Similar to how the fractal case has on them

It sounds like you know what you are talking about with adding mass to the panel to stop vibrations, not "block" noise like some people think it does. I dont see why not

EDIT: Also, it maybe be other things causing the vibration that the panels may or may not fix.
    Other things i would do is have the fans mounted using the silicon plug things where possible. Not sure about drive mounting in this particular case but anything metal to metal is going to transfer noise so try use rubber/silicon where possible.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  8. BigDave

BigDave Member

Do they really? :confused:

9. OP
    OP
    Bion1c

Bion1c Member

didnt think of that, but thanks i will pm him :)

yup!

i have a lian li pc70 (pics here) next to my main desktop pc and it has this same problem. mind you, the lian li case has 9 hdd's in it, so it has a lot more vibration being transferred into the case. despite my best efforts to dampen vibrations (and replace fans etc), the next issue is that there is vibration in the side panels.. which are big thin sheets of aluminum. the tj07 isnt quite as bad as that, since the panel is broken up by the mesh vents on the bottom, but yeah adding mass to the panels would help i think.

as tek said above, the new fractal cases are adding bitumen to their side panels for this very reason.

this post from silent pc review forums (link) pretty much sums up the problems:

i have a love/hate thing with the tj07. i *love* the layout but the side panels and the motherboard tray need to be fixed up.. i think its doable, just working out the best way :)

but yeah AndyM did a great job so i might just copy him

(i should also note that the vast majority of the cases on the market have similar problems.. im certainly not singling out the tj07 for any overly harsh criticism)

10. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

I've got some Spire soundpad in my rack case, along with a whole bunch of zalman products and the like, such as rubber decoupling for the HDs and PSU.

I'm not sure what made the biggest improvement, probably the power supply and the Silverstone NT01 v2 Passive cooler, although I stuck a standard intel 775 fan on that because the MB was chucking a mental at not having a fan connected. The soundpad is probably only really reducing the amount of airflow in the case. Dan didn't like it much.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  11. seb

seb Member

12. Sundarjee77

Sundarjee77 Member

I dont think the PC70 is the problem, more the gear inside it, I've got one with 2 hdds in it and noctuas turn down low and it is beyond quiet.

Would like to hear what options there are in the foam/dynamat solution, last time I checked foam was stupidly expensive. I would drop $50 on dynamat though.

Just been waiting for somebody to take the plunge first, I saw another guy use camping mat foam to quiet his case down but I've never been able to find any black/grey coloured ones for less than $20:thumbdn:

13. DrFrag

DrFrag Member

How about getting a strip of metal (say, 2mm thick flat strip of steel or aluminium from a hardware store) and sticking it diagonally on the inside of the panel with mounting tape?

14. hatalyl

hatalyl Member

It won't add any weight but i got some "closed cell" foam from clark rubber.

It's about 8mm thick, cheap as (about $13 for 1m x 1.5m) and quite effective. I'm really happy with it.

they also had the same but with a layer of ??foil sheeting?? on one side for a couple more $s.

15. darkguset

darkguset Member

Bunnings is your friend... i went and bought a 1x1 piece of carpet that is both heavy and flexible. I installed those on the sides and around the case (CM690) and they do work quite well. For $10 it is a well worth investment.

I also used some (wood?) glue to attach them to the panels (the one in the tin, with a brush). I left them to dry overnight, not so much for the glue to cure, as for the smell.

16. Doso

Doso Member

I've used dynamat for my htpc to quite it down, I didn't have vibration issues but just alot of fan noise leaking out ( I sleep maybe 1 meter away from my htpc & it's always on)

Dynamat did an absolute fantastic job if silencing the htpc, honestly the best upgrade I could have done (i had already used low speed Noctua fans + tempreture senesative fan controllers + upgrade cou heatsink) the only issue is that you have to be carefull of the metal foil on dynamat does conduct electricity. Also be carefull about where you place it because if it gets squezzed in between panels than the black dynamat becomes a sticky mess.

17. OP
    OP
    Bion1c

Bion1c Member

thanks for the ideas guys.. still not sure what to do, i want a nice looking solution as i want this case to be done right and last me quite a long time.. carpet would probably work well but wouldnt look the best

at this stage i am leaning towards dynamat still, i might buy a pack and resell the extra sheets (and i imagine there'd be quite a lot extra!)

nah its just that the case is packed. i stripped the case down completely before i built it and put in quality fans throughout - mostly nexus but there's also a tricod in there. also undervolted GPU fan (zalman cooler).
    there's a perc 5i in there which requires forced air cooling over it (tricod) so i wouldnt feel too comfortable dropping the airflow in the case any more than it is.
    given how much stuff is inside it, it is fairly quiet already, but i can hear some vibrations being passed into the case frame.. given how many hdd's are hard mounted to the frame internally its not surprising :)

thanks for the info Doso :) glad to hear from someone whos tried this already! btw which product did you use? was it dynamat xtreme? got pics? :D

18. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Dynamat xtreme to stop resonance, with open cell foam over the top to prevent sound reflection.

19. Namheul

Namheul Member

I used the stuff you linked to from Jatcar in 2 of my PCs and it worked perfectly.
    Bit smelly and sticky initially, but fine now.

20. Onyx

Onyx Member

I tried to find dynamat or its knock offs, but none were available near me. I used Flashtac, from Bunnings. It's self adhesive, comes in a roll that's quite cheap, does the job well. I think it's bitumen based, I can't smell it - but it has like a shiny aluminium/metallic top surface with a black tar or bitumen based material in the middle - that's flexible and somewhat rubbery. It adds quite significant mass to the side panels when applied.

It's significantly cheaper than branded acoustic sound deadener - ie. Dynamat Xtreme, Stinger Roadkill, etc. My roll of Flashtac was ~$25, and was enough to do 2 cases fully with leftover: CM692 covered both side panels, plus top and bottom; and both side panels of my older Gigabyte Poseidon mid-tower case, and behind the motherboard, and still had 1/3 of the roll left.