1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Sounds Cards Comparo (or The search for Aural Pleasure)

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by smiddi, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

I can't use the Benchmark all the time as I'm not even meant to have bought it in the first place. My purchases are under scrutiny and I must be careful with what I reveal. Anyway, I really shouldn't need it for the AD900s! Seriously, the STX by itself with the new OPamps has decreased in volume.

2. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Its called a Benchmark DAC1. Its primary function is being a DAC. A much better one than the STX! Of course the AD900 would benefit from it!

If you don't want it i'll take it off yours hands. I have a Audioengine D1 which is nice and discrete that would suit you well.

3. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

Ahahaha, I hope you're kidding. Seriously though, I wouldn't give it to you unless you gave me enough to buy another one. Anyway, I wait until tomorrow to change them back. I had my fill of mucking around in my computer today.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  4. Cool Barn

Cool Barn Member

Lol Manni I have a DacMagic 100 that I'll swap for your Benchmark - it sounds fantastic and is so tiny you could hide it under a small piece of paper on your desk and your oldies would never know! A brilliant plan!

:D

5. zanlation

zanlation Member

Make sure you have installed the opamps in the correct configuration with the small dimple facing the right slot. When I installed one in the incorrect position my volume dramatically dropped.. fixed once I moved it.

6. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

CB, this is between me and Manni. BACK THE FSCK OFF.

D1 > Dacwheveterheisselling.

Totally.

I give you D1 + $50 and a Cheesburger. Delivered. Think bout it.

7. Camm

Camm Member

You were right, stuck back with the D2X quick smart :p

8. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Goodo mate ;)

If you really wanted that slot free go for a USB DAC/Amp. Audioengine D1 is well priced and nice unit.

9. Camm

Camm Member

I've got the swans m60 5.1 unit, stuck with sound cards unfortunately. As long as i dont entertain tri sli I'm good :p

10. Spyfox

Spyfox Member

had this posted in the headphone section.

wondering if anyone has personal experience with the Xonar STX and the X-Fi Titanium HD

google fu has lead me to believe that they are fairly similar in quality with the x-fi a little better with gaming and the stx better with music

split decision between the two
    will be using with some AD900s

11. Linkin

Linkin Member

I have the STX, and I had an X-Fi Titanium before it. I don't really use EAX or CMSS-3D so I don't care about losing those features. The STX is a great card though, you'll be very happy with it. Which one is better? Flip a coin. Or whichever one you can find cheapest.

12. Spyfox

Spyfox Member

pretty much what i wanted to hear
    cheers :thumbup:

13. Linkin

Linkin Member

Well, cheapest X-Fi HD on staticICE is $199, cheapest STX on staticICE is $178

Even on PCCG the STX is $10 cheaper ($205 vs $195)

14. chi

chi Member

if you have speakers as well as headphones DONT get the xfi. Bloody pos cant even switch between the two without you fucking around the back of your pc everytime

15. Spyfox

Spyfox Member

Thanks for the heads up.
    Will be connecting my z2300s as well.
    Was keen on the STX from the start so I guess it all worked itself out :)

16. OP
    OP
    smiddi

smiddi Member

Creative Recon3D added.

17. Pic0o

Pic0o Member

I was using the Creative Recon3d (fatal1ty model Pro) and would have stuck with it, if not for the 5.1 channel issue.

I've seen a few people mention also seeing where the channels for 5.1 would be completely off and scattered, until you toggle audio modes (headphone to 5.1, 2ch back to 5.1, etc) in the creative software.

Can anyone suggest a card that can:
    - Do 5.1 audio and not mix up the channels
    - accepts Optical Inputs
    - Does not suffer from the static feedback I've seen quite a few cards noted for doing.

I enjoyed the cleaner audio I was getting versus my onboard Realtek, but the channel bug is intolerable. I returned the Creative card yesterday.

-edit: I play about 75% games / 25% Music. I'd say I hit the channel inversion about 8-10 times over ~10 days. It seemed especially apparent when playing optical audio inputs, as quite a bit of that time was PS3 audio pimpin. Loved the sound when it was bound right speakers.

Once it was fairly steady happening watching Flix and Games on actual rig, it was time for us to part ways. I'm trying my luck since bug seems so fixable, so I got non-shelled edition for 2/3 price. My other options didn't look to be as potentially otherwise awesome a blend, imo.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  18. OP
    OP
    smiddi

smiddi Member

funny you should mention the 5.1 channel issue. I had it happen using stereo a few times, as as I switch between headphones and speakers I thought I was accidently selecting it. Thanks, ill put that in the review.

As for a card for you: what do u mostly use it for, gaming, music?

19. Coldplayer

Coldplayer Member

My X-FI forte is dieing so looking to upgrade. Uses will be 80/20 music/gaming and i'll be using z5500s/AD900s. No real budget. Ideas?

Cheers

20. toopy28

toopy28 Member

I'm looking to swap my STX with a D2X or something with DTS (not the X-fi's after knowing about the channel bug) if anyone is interested. i only use the optical output of the STX so its quite underutilised