1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Sounds Cards Comparo (or The search for Aural Pleasure)

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by smiddi, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

The Xonar STX would the logical choice. Creative's Titanium HD doesn't support 5.1 output.

2. toopy28

toopy28 Member

It does via the optical output

3. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

My mistake :D

4. Coldplayer

Coldplayer Member

i dont think the STX does either (unless via optical in which i heard it just uses the Z5500 dac?

5. toopy28

toopy28 Member

It does via the optical output, and yes if using the optical output of any card the dac's on the sound card are bypassed and the dac's in you sound system are in use

6. Dawico

Dawico Member

Hi all, i'm hoping that i've put this in the right area but if not just point me in the right direction :D

I've just purchased a pair of sennheiser pc360's but at the moment i'm still using onboard sound. I have a asus P8Z68-V PRO with the following specs:

RealtekĀ® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
    - Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
    Audio Feature :
    - Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound
    - Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
    - DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
    - Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel

What I was wondering is it worth me getting a dedicated sound card? If so would something like the asus essense stx be good or is it over kill? (I'm a pc gamer who uses his comp for movie/tv as well but not really music)

Any advice would be very appreciated thanks.

7. FoBZY

FoBZY Member

got a xi-fi titanium hd from amazon , replaced an audigy 2zs.. so much better!! wasnt expecting a difference, did it more for pcie/driver support, deffinately recommended

8. rayk

rayk Member

Thinking of getting an Xonar ST, anyone here test if it works with Win8? Can't seem to find much about drivers working or not - seems that there is an issue with control panel for card not launching?

Cheers.

9. desudesu

desudesu Member

sorry if this has been posted before, just not sure what has replaced the forte 7.1

thought of getting 1 but it seems like no one has any stock anymore

what is the new one that has come out

10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

At this stage as Win8 is so early I think you would be lucky to get full versions, but perhaps beta's. None available yet?

Despite the ctrl panel not working and hence not having much control, it still works right?

11. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

Okay guys, what's the cheapest card I can get that will power appropriately a Beyerdynamic DT770? It MUST be PCI-E.

12. orby

orby Member

I might be wrong but I don't think there's a soundcard that will power those headphones well enough. Is that any different to the DT770Pro? I used those with d2x but something was lacking so I got rid of them.

13. lithos

lithos Member

If your sig is accurate, you already own one.

14. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

hmm so where does the auzen prelude (my current card) stand these days?

any worthwhile upgrades (mainly for gaming these days) or stick with what i've got?

15. chi

chi Member

i'd say stick with it unless you have problems, i moved from the prelude to the titanium hd and it felt like sidegrading more than anything

16. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

cool fair enough, hopefully not as many driver issues with Win8 as i experienced with Win7 and Creative/Auzen drivers.

Only now does it all seem to be stable....

Edit. on that topic, what drivers should i be using for Windows 8 when released?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  17. lithos

lithos Member

18. Carcin0Genic

Carcin0Genic Member

So im thinking about getting a soundcard to go along with my z623's. I very rarely use headphones. It would be used for probs 50% games, 25% movies and 25% music.
    Would the Titanium HD be the best bet? Or will this be overkill for my current speakers? I noticed it uses THX which my speakers also use.
    My speakers are a 2.1 and won't be upgrading to 5.1 anytime soon.

Edit: Ordered it from amazon while it was 40% off :). Im sure for $120 it cant be too bad. But anyway, did I make the right choice?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  19. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

Just a question but, for a MS1, would a STX or Titanium HD be appropriate. I've just heard around places that headphones of about 32ohms or so don't well with the STX. Something about distortion of sound, I hear. Mostly from Head-Fi, so I thought to take it with a grain of salt.

20. Pic0o

Pic0o Member

Revisit Creative Recon3D 5.1 ch issue

I wanted to circle back to my previous post about the 5.1 channel flipping. I actually had the card installed in my 2nd PCIe slot (PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)) under my main Video Card at the time of this issue.

I have since moved the card into one of the lower PCIe x1 slots and have not had the 5.1 issue. I did experience an issue with my headphone port shortly after switching, but that was due to the card not being seated properly.

I have also installed the Windows 7 update for Creative Cards from June 2012. I had the issue after that patch was installed, but not since the card move & reseat. I have not yet installed the current optional update for Creative cards on Windows Update.

Reseated the Recon3D in the PCIe x1 slot and haven't had any issues since, even when playing optical input, with other PC audio.
    FYI:YMMV if you see any of the same with this, or another card.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012