1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Sounds Cards Comparo (or The search for Aural Pleasure)

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by smiddi, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779 Member

For someone looking for something small, extremely portable, very competively priced. Something that will work with PC, Mac and some JellyBean devices....

....then you want the UD100 USB.

Employing the ESS Sabre ES9023 DAC the UD100 is a fantastic little bit of kit.

ESS Sabre ES9023 Spec Sheet - http://www.esstech.com/PDF/ES9023 PB Rev 0.2aPB 110117.pdf

UD100 for sale - http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2449848/all

Cost $59USD + $3USD shipping worldwide.

Ordered 2 UD100s on the 16th of December and even with all the christmas postage it still turned up on the 27th of December. Making shipping times from Malaysia more than acceptable. The two DACs turned up in perfect working order.

Will be trying it on my SGSII with it JB rom and hopefully I can get it going. With it giving my Audioengine D1 USB DAC more than a run for its money this is amazing. There is some very minimal background noise which I noticed when the output was maxed and I was using my 16ohm 118db Audiofly AF56m canalphones. They're stupidly sensitive and the background noise is the exact same level as that of my D1. Something i didn't know my D1 had while I was using my AKG Q701s apparently 105dB wasn't quite sensitive enough to pick it up haha.

Either way for $62 shipped to your door this tiny little dac is fantastic and the 2v rms line out makes it perfect for analougue amplification. Either too a headphone amp or speakers. At the moment though it is more than acceptibly driving un amped my AKG Q701s and my AF56ms

[​IMG]

2. Cadbury

Cadbury Member

What would you recommend for a good 5.1 (via s/pdif) home theatre card? The machine i'm building from spares for a friend has really bad onboard sound. So i'm looking for a cheap card (<$100). Decent sound quality for 2 channel music is desirable.TrueHD output for the future would be a plus.

3. djchozen91

djchozen91 Member

I was just wondering, is there a point in owning a sound card for music production purposes if all I'm going to be doing is monitoring and not actually (or rarely) recording any acoustics? How much difference to sound quality would it make to just playing back sound out of studio monitors? Is it noticeable?

Thanks for your help.

4. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

You want an ASIO capable Audio Interface, which is a wanky way of saying sound-card for music production.

The 'big-deal' is latency, ASIO provides a low-latency audio library for most DAW's.

If you want to do production get a good quality USB interface, Native Instruments to a good job for not too much $$.

5. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

hey folks, i think i asked this before but is the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude supported under windows 8? or should i buy a new card.

If so what should i get?

6. djchozen91

djchozen91 Member

What do you mean USB interface?

7. lithos

lithos Member

^cat means an external sound card you plug into the USB port, instead of installing internally.

Creative has excellent ASIO support if you mostly want a consumer card, but really, if you're keen on your recordings, get one made by a proper recording equipment company.

8. djchozen91

djchozen91 Member

As I said I'm not interested in doing recordings. I would be just monitoring. Hence the only reason I would use a sound card is for better quality audio. catalyst has said that the big issue is latency, but I'm not exactly sure how big of a deal that is. Is their actually much if any noticeable latency in on-board sound?

9. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

latency is the name of the game.

using a usb audio interface will be helpful for a few reasons. chiefly you will get a set of balanced outputs which will help rid interference. you should have balanced inputs on your studio monitors.

computers will have usb boards for the foreseeable future so a usb audio interface will be carried over any pc upgrades. who knows what will happen with pcie/whatever next.

something basic like this , https://www.storedj.com.au/products/NI-TA2 would be ample.

other options may be available, but i haven't searched very hard. I'd stay steer clear of anything super cheap because you'll just have to buy it again when it fucks up or doesn't get drivers for a new OS. behringer aren't always to be trusted...

10. KonataFB

KonataFB Member

Hey guys,
    Whats the current 7.1 channel recommended Card for gaming atm.
    Will be 80% Gaming 20% movies, on 90% headphones 10% speakers (prob replacing both soon)
    So needs decent positional audio for shooter's :D

Will have to be low as possible above it, Due to very little clearance between the slot and lower GPU. (little bit concerned it will kill too much airflow)

Motherboard is a "asus rampage extreme" if it makes a difference (going into lowest slot),
    OS is win8 64bit.

11. Linkin

Linkin Member

1) Do you have a real 7.1 system (7 bookshelds/floorstanders and a sub) ?
    2) Budget?

12. KonataFB

KonataFB Member

Thanks for the quick reply :D

1. not in the computer room, they broke several months ago (power surge), but I prefer to game on headphones anyway (always found it easier for detecting direction/ aprox distance compared to speaker's.)
    So will prob be used with some headphones for the gaming, (maybe the razer tiamats but yet to google there directional sound compared to there old baracuda's)
    the speaker's I haven't even started to look up yet but movies with speaker's is the 2nd-ary goal.

offtopic:
    Back in the days of "call of duty world at war" got accused of hacking so many times while using some random creative sound card with the departed "razer baracuda" headphones which sadly broke in 2 from clear overuse :D .
    (They were awesome for shooter's if you played with the individual speaker volumes to find the best mix)

2. Less concerned as long as it does the job, (not having to buy a 2nd card)
    eg. any card on pccg's soundcard page is within budget.
    I'll just say $300 for the card, but hoping/ expecting it to be less.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  13. Linkin

Linkin Member

Start here and then work on replacing your Razer gear with real audio stuff :)

If you REALLY need 5.1 or higher capability, then get the ST (non pci-e version) and H6 daughterboard

Depending on your preferences I would also recommend changing the op amps, head-fi has a great guide for that...

14. KonataFB

KonataFB Member

cheer's
    haven't found the "sister board" yet but my "Google fu" skill's may be slowed by lack of sleep this weekend.

I'm still open to other card suggestions if you/ other's know other good ones.
    I'll even take suggestions (if any)on headphones, just keep in mind i'm prioritize-ing shooter game target finding over audio quality but happy to have both :D.
    but that may be a problem for another thread unless you guys don;t mind going slightly off thread topic

So if talking about both card and headphones i'll set the budget at $700,
    (for now, im no audiophile so that budget should be more then overkill, just keep suggestions reasonable for the price :D)

Thanks again, wise one's of audio subforum
    Look forward to your great wisdom on this important matter :p

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  15. Yanoflies

Yanoflies Member

I've got: Swan M10 + Plantronics 780 currently using my boards integrated. How large would the difference be with a proper sound card? Does that difference warrant me buying one? If so which?

16. lithos

lithos Member

For gaming? Creative > Asus.

The Soundblaster ZxR is what I'd recommend.

ProStudio Surround is a much better HRTF (virtual surround) system than Dolby Headphone, plus the ZxR comes with all the outputs you need, a desktop controller with headphone extensions and a beamforming mic array to boot.

Other than that, the ZxR's hardware specs meet or exceed those of the Xonar ST/STX. Same headphone amp chip, for example.

The H6 daughterboard for the Xonars are as rare as hen's teeth, and rather expensive.

For headphones, if you're keen on positioning uber alles, then the Audio-Technica AD series is hard to beat.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  17. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Does anyone know if I can control the headphone out volume independently to speaker out volume on a Titanium HD?

18. sn8kedr

sn8kedr Member

Howdy peeps.
    As a complete noob when it comes to all things audio I need some recommendations.
    I currently have G1 Sniper3 which I am running on board sound out to Logi Z506 speakers and Razer Carcharia headphones. Both are the OLD school versions not the new ones.
    So definitely nothing to write home about at the moment. So, given this system is mainly used for gaming/movies, with a budget of $150-$200 for the sound card what are your recommendations?
    I'm aware that I will need to be looking into getting some real speakers/headphones so keep in mind those will be upgraded further down the track.
    Also just out of curiosity how good is the Onboard Creative Sound Core3D on the sniper3?
    Cheers in advance guys.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  19. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

Hey sn8kedr,

sorry for the late reply, I thought someone else was going to post here. Anyway, for a 2.0-2.1 setup, you should consider the STX or Titanium HD.

20. sn8kedr

sn8kedr Member

Cheers mate - after checking out a few other posts I was planning on going with the STX and a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT770's (Pro version at 80Ohms or the Premium version at 250Ohms). Well, that's the plan anyway. The budget might have other ideas but at the very least I will be grabbing the STX with the intention of grabbing a decent set of headphones within a month or so.
    Any thoughts on headphones/2.1 speakers??

EDIT: Actually, a few people have recommended the Titanium HD also.......buggered if I can find one though. Any recommendations?