1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Sounds Cards Comparo (or The search for Aural Pleasure)

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by smiddi, Feb 8, 2009.

1. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

There's one in the for sale section if you want second hand, for new amazon.

2. sn8kedr

sn8kedr Member

Cheers mate - just jumped in. Fingers crossed ;)

3. chi

chi Member

Dont go with the Titanium HD if your going to use both speakers and headphones. its the most retarded piece of shit ever if you are cause you cant switch between different outputs without physically swapping cables

4. sn8kedr

sn8kedr Member

Ahhh - I heard about that already. I'm not that fussed though - 90% of the time I'll be on my headphones now anyways ;)

5. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Here's a curly one....

I have a NI S4 mixer. I can set this as my default sound card. Would this be better than my on-board soundcard. Mostly for listening to music, but also the odd game. Using M-Audio BX8 studio monitors.

6. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

I found this out a after mine arrived, lost the best feature of the old fatal1ty champion it replaced. It's a pity the pci positioning on most motherboards is terrible, I still can't understand why they're not in the top position or the last as very few pci cards are bigger than single slot, they can't get in the way of multi gpu setups if they did this.

Prefer the sound of the titanium HD over the Xonar STX I bought and sold a week later but it's annoying as hell having to physically change out the speakers and headphones, to the point thta I'm going to enable onboard for the first time ever on one of my pc's and use that with the speakers and the HD with the headphones.

EDIT: It was the STX not the XT

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  7. lithos

lithos Member

*gasps*

Don't say that too loud, mate...

8. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Bought both, picked the better one for me :thumbup:, not a brand loyalty or technical spec comparison the sounds were simply more pleasant. I found the sounds over my AD700's too bright on the Xonar STX and it's the first sound card were I experienced fatique using the these headphones. Sound is completely subjective and we all perceive things a little different and maybe I'm getting older but the creative was simply smoother and more mellow on my ears but still has some punch when I want it. Both cards are better than my Fatal1ty for sound quality but I'm no audiophile and really would have been happy enough with my pci card if I had a spare slot for it.

9. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

Does anyone know the least inconvenient way (in terms of having equipment and wiring running everywhere) to decode stuff like DDL and DTS and have that passed through my StageDAC and my T33-H amp?

Do I really need to go the receiver route?

10. ryuu

ryuu Member

Just looking for a recommendation on a sound card for a pair of Beyerdynamic MMX300.

Limit of $170

Don't mind PCI or PCI-E at this point.

Used for Gaming, Movies and music..so just general listening purposes :p

11. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

Out of curiosity, is the CMSS-3D the same on all Creative sound cards?

12. yestime

yestime Member

It's funny how so many people start selling their ST version when the STX came out. Not realizing they where actually down grading LOL

13. khing

khing Member

I've just gotten an Essence STX upgrading my old Xonar DX, playing through AKG Q701.

Can I just say it's an absolutely amazing piece of kit. I can't believe I have been missing out on so much detail! Biggest improvement: the detail in soft noises. Even background vocals now have a texture to it.

14. Linkin

Linkin Member

Change the op amps and replace the clock in it as well.

15. khing

khing Member

would you be recommending the ones in your sig?

16. Coldplayer

Coldplayer Member

looking for a soundcard to run to my old ad700s for 100% gaming. Wondering whats a good card for around 200 which should be an improvement on my auzentech forte which died? Don't need to worry about any other outputs or music as i'm running an amp as well through usb which i'll have for music.

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  17. Linkin

Linkin Member

ST/STX as well as some upgraded op amps for it. You won't need to buy again for a long time.

18. Coldplayer

Coldplayer Member

the STX isn't really a gaming card is it?

19. toopy28

toopy28 Member

I sold mine and went to a Titanium HD,
    positional audio was a lot better and audio quality in my case was the same. (I use toslink to a Mini HT system though so all of the analogue circuitry the STX is famous for wasn't being used at all.)

20. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

Anyone know the cheapest sound card which does good CMSS-3D or equivalent quality virtual surround that works on Win8?

Edit: Only purely need it for virtual surround. Oh, needs to have optical out too..

Edit2: Looks like I want the X-Fi Xtreme Audio. My local shop has it for $69... hmmm... pricey for just virtual surround :(

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013