1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Sounds Cards Comparo (or The search for Aural Pleasure)

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by smiddi, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Linkin

Linkin Member

I keep seeing people saying this. So I'll counter with:

When was the last time you used more than 2 channels for gaming?

Do you own a 4.1, 5.1, or 7.1 surround sound speaker system?

Can you afford the above system?

Do you have room for the above system?

Will you be able to use it at a decent time and not have your family/friends/neighbours/housemates disown you?

Fact of the matter is, 2 channel speakers or headphones are the most convenient and cost-effective way of doing audio. Gaming, music, or otherwise.

If you really need 5.1 or 7.1 analogue audio, then get the ST card and the H6 daughterboard, and change the op amps on all of them.

Other than that, the ST/X are high quality cards. Why wouldn't they be good for gaming? Because you don't get the shitty EAX 5.0, X-Fi Crystalliser, or CMSS-3D?

The less you have interfering with your sound output, the better. Each bit of processing takes away clarity and positional accuracy. Two channels in headphones with HRTF and/or binaural recording/processing/output.

People argue that may be processor intensive. Your CPU is using all of 1% power to process audio. The rest is done by your sound card (if it has any hardware processing, which onboard doesn't)

2. lithos

lithos Member

Coupla things:

1) EAX 5.0 is no different to what software sound engines do - Frostbite, FMOD, Wwise, Miles...it's an environmental audio filter, a tool to be used by sound designers to best convey the acoustic environment of the game. It's not something that the card "adds". It's just a sound engine, same as Frostbite or FMOD, just done in hardware, not software.

Also, if EAX 5.0 is so shit, why did Asus spend all that time and money claiming their early cards supported it? They slathered "EAX 5.0 Compatible!" over all their advertising for the DS and D2X, which could only mean two things: either they were lying out there arse, or they reverse-engineered and stole Creative's proprietary sound system. Creative didn't licence it to them.

2) EAX, CMSS-3D, and Crystaliser can all be turned off.

3) And for someone so worried about impurities added to the game's audio stream by the card, to laud Dolby Headphone over CMSS-3D is baffling. Dolby seeks to emulate a home theater, with all its inherent acoustics - artificial acoustics separate from the game. CMSS-3D simply places sounds in a virtualised 3D space. CMSS-3D is a helluva lot more advanced that Dolby Headphone. It should be. It's been around for years before 2005...when Lake Technology invented the tech that Dolby would later buy. And then Asus would licence.

3. orbisfactor

orbisfactor Member

my xtrememusic died today (no audio, but still detected :confused:) and so i'm in the market for a new soundcard. looking at either the xonar essence st/stx or the soundblaster zx. thoughts?

4. leathal

leathal Member

Hi guys, my Forte decided to shit its self a while back so i'm after some new sound card for gaming only. Noticed in the reviews the Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D was second behind the Forte, at under $100 seems like a steal. Looking for around this price range.

Headphones are Sennheiser 215.

5. Linkin

Linkin Member

Get the ST

PCI interface is better suited to audio and it won't drop your primary PCI-E slot down to 8x or 4x

You can upgrade the op amps as well as as the clockgen / xo for better sound quality again

6. leathal

leathal Member

From my above post to follow on

Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional PCIe $139
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium FATAL1TY Pro PCIe $149
    Creative Sound Blaster Z $125
    ASUS Xonar D2 $149

Purely for gaming, running with Sennheiser 215. Which would be the best sound card? any better choices below $200 mark?

As Auzentech Forte is bit out dated are these any better?

7. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

How well do PCI cards go on modern motherboards though?
    I thought they weren't really native PCI slots anymore.
    After something low latency myself for recording / real time special effects etc. :)

8. mda

mda Member

After buying a new PC my Auzentech X-Fi Forte doesn't seem to fit in either of the available PCI-E slots on the new mobo (ASUS Z87-PLUS). I figured parts of the card and mobo were blocking each other.

But reading this:

Could it mean I have to do some minor modding to get it to fit? It fit fine in my old Antec 300. New case is an NZXT Switch 810.

Anyone had similar experience?

Thank u.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  9. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

In the box there should be a standard height rear bracket. You need to swap it with the low profile bracket.

10. mda

mda Member

Thanks for this, turns out I'd already done it though. I'll have to try fitting the card in again to make sure, but I'm pretty sure it gets blocked and just won't go in... might end up having to sell it and get something else.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  11. tracti

tracti Member

I currently have an Asus MB SB X79. It currently has RealtekĀ® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC in built sound. I have it hooked up through a Sony theater amp to some bookshelf speakers and powered sub. Its pretty good but when I have it turned down low, Headphones mainly I get a hum, and I've narrowed it down to the 3.5mm to RCA cable I have. Ok so the question have, do I just get a $20 3.5mm to RCA replacement cable, or connect it through the optical output from the MB. Or is this just some feed from the mother board which i could fix with a Added sound card
    Thanks

12. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

if you connect it via optical the signal coming from the pc will be digital, so no interference, your sony AMP will then do all of the "magic" etc then.

Will sound just as good if not better then a dedicated sound card with analog out, getting a dedicated sound card for digital out is a waste of money imo.

in short get an optical cable :thumbup:

13. tracti

tracti Member

Ok got the optical lead all plugged in and downloaded the RealTek drivers, its now working but I have no sub with digital? is this right

14. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

does not sound right, have no probs going to my z5500's with pretty much the same motherboard as you.

got your receiver configured right?

15. tracti

tracti Member

Yeah its a bit dated got it for free so carnt complain, its not picking up a sub signal will get some cables tomorrow and try it another way

16. eastley

eastley Member

I got the Soundblaster Z and have to say, I am impressed.

Did not expect much to be honest, but music wise it seems comparable to my old Xonar Essence STX, which is in my cupboard collecting dust, the outer metal covering has a screw missing :(

17. n2o

n2o Member

i'm starting my x99 build and i'm wondering if it's worth using my soundblaster x-fi titianium or has the quality of onboard sound made them obsolete ?

i'm gaming with razer tiamat 7.1 with no speakers.

18. Archi.

Archi. Member

I'm using GA-X99-UD4 w/ onboard sound now, I'm already missing my old dedi X-Fi.

19. Dangerous1

Dangerous1 Member

Wondering if anyone has an ASUS Xonar Phoebus. I have an Essence STX which I use with some Audio Technica ATH-AD900's, I must say I'm not all that impressed with Dolby Headphone in games to me it sounds kind of muffled and not all that clear, I certainly preferred the CMSS on my old Auzentech Prelude.

I am looking for something with better positional audio than the Essence.

20. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Any point upgrading my X-Fi Titanium Fatality sound card? (The one without the breakout box).. Is there anything out there with better headphone connection / sound?