1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Sounds Cards Comparo (or The search for Aural Pleasure)

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by smiddi, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

2. telefragd

telefragd Member

I'm using ASIO output with MediaMonkey. I'm not sure that it's working properly though. MM's volume control doesn't work (as intended) but the sound doesn't get interrupted by other applications' audio which is supposed to happen when multiple streams are played. I might try out kernel streaming.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  3. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I couldn't get ASIO to work with Winamp, Kernel works fine. Can also tick a box to be able to use the volume control. No other Audio sources work when winamp is playing, and it will only work in "Audio Creation Mode" in yhe XFI control panel.

4. Edstructicon

Edstructicon Member

I've played around with foobar and asio and AFAIK the whole audio surces not working is a limitation of ASIO (or more the way windows does ASIO). IMO foobar produces a better end result than winamp playing asio or standard audio.

5. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Foobar takes too much mucking around to get a decent setup.

Installed Winamp and Plugin, click and drag main playlist up to make those two other boxes (showed albums or something) disappear, then dragged the far top right box down to the bottom. Simple and easy to use setup.

6. Liam.

Liam. Member

No it doesn't. Install and go to options to add ASIO... Add a libary and its ready....................

7. telefragd

telefragd Member

I think he's probably referring to aesthetics and skinning of which I'd have to agree. Configs are relatively easy to install, but finding some components can be a pain in the arse because there are a lot of dead links out there. Not to mention some configs require a certain version of a component (and an older version of Foobar - easy to obtain through Filehippo) and these can be hard to find.

I used Foo_AvA for a little while which looked wonderful, but the interface limitations really irked me after a while so I switched to MediaMonkey with VitreousBlue skin.

8. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Talking about making it a decent/easy to use/have all the features player that i want.

Straight install and no tweaking, it lacks a lot of features that i liked about iTunes/WMP.

Winamp is like Foobar with 2 hours skin/config tweaking.

9. Tiop

Tiop Member

now that all have been reviewed im trying to to decide considering i mainly game (CSS) with a little music using AD400s and 2.1 sometimes

i have a clearance issue only pci-e only slot is directly above gpu about 15mm clearance so would prefer pci, or pci-e car that is fairly low and less then 150mm length

the Xonar D2 pci about $200 easy fit,

the forte tight fit but to long will hit ram i think (150mm max length)

Titanium $170 should fit in pci-e but close the gpu (interferance ? no shielding like the forte)

whats the Auzentech Prelude $270 similar too ?

problem is none of the manufacturers tell the 3 sizes of the card so hopeless really.

should i just get the D2 ?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  10. Skobb

Skobb Member

Wait for the Xonar Essence ST PCI edition ^^

11. spAm^bOy

spAm^bOy Member

I wish it'd hurry up and come out already - I'm waiting for this card too!

12. telefragd

telefragd Member

I'm curious to see how much more it's going to cost.

13. spAm^bOy

spAm^bOy Member

well it's basically an STX with an expansion/daughter card for the 7.1 stuff, so my guess is around the $300-315 mark..

14. m0tyrider

m0tyrider Member

I would have waited to....put a audio card in the 15 year old pci slot....Please.

PCI-E ftw and i love my essence stx.
    Worth every penny....least till i check my netbanking ha ha

15. JayKay777

JayKay777 Member

Does anyone know how ot explain this in further detail?

I know it was a thing Asus was pushing on their wbesite for Xonars - that they had their 'virtual' interfeace (which I bleive is part of their method to take in EAX 5.0 and wack them out through their EAX 2.0 hardware).
    This apperently was a more Vista compatible apporhac to traiditional Creative drivers.

And after hearing all the problems people had with Creative drivers, it leant me towards Asus. Having said this - im sure much of the Vista complaints were like any other complaints - old non-compatible software and old hardware models with non-WDM certified drivers.

I can agree with everything he said for the Asus D2X - I should of waited for an STX by the sounds of it!
    I often play games with headphones on anyway, so I figure I throw away alot of the advatange of top-level EAX. That and I thoughtmost games are lucky to good full EAX 5.0 support?

16. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Essence STX and WIndows 7.

17. Tiop

Tiop Member

just paid for a motherbaord to fit a a forte on....... oh and a forte :)

18. slobber

slobber Member

^ What board ????

19. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

I'm going to sticky this, as its quite a handy thread! Thanks smiddi for taking the time to write all that up :thumbup:

20. Warpy

Warpy Member

Which of these cards supports S/PDIF IN and S/PDIF OUT?

I'm urgently looking for a sound card for gaming... and DTS 5.1 movies.