South Coast Sunrise

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by norbs, Jul 26, 2007.

1. norbs

norbs Member

A couple from this morning. 2 mins from my place.

Click for larger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  2. yippy

yippy Member

They look great, especially the second photo. Awesome colours.

3. Heist

Heist Member

Nice shots, agree #2 is my favourite but I must call shenanigans! Where is there water 2 mins from Haberfield like that? :D

4. OP
    OP
    norbs

norbs Member

LOL. Fair call, but I have tried to change that twice, and both times it hasn't seemed to have stuck.

Off to try again.

5. Heist

Heist Member

Ah, Shaolhaven! I do envy you, beautiful area - I have great shots from holidays there before I got an SLR. Come to think of it those shots probably inspired me to get into more photography.

6. torrential

torrential (Banned or Deleted)

a few tips.

#1, never centre a horizon. either 30/70 or 20/80. No less, No More.
    #2, First pic suffers from "lack of subject" Yes a man in a boat, but no difinitive subject.

7. OP
    OP
    norbs

norbs Member

Thanks champ.

#1. I assume you are directing me towards the rule of thirds. Fair enough, but who said you had to live by them?

#2. And the subject in image #1 is?

Ahh, that grain of salt wasn't so bad after all. :rolleyes:

8. uneeek

uneeek Member

I'd say #2 is 60/40...so neither rule or thirds nor centred horizon.

And yeah #2 is much better than #1. I think #1 has too much dark sky...but #2 gets away with the dark space, maybe because it leads you into the water and then horizon.

9. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

I'll go with #1 .. I think it's the better shot .. the 50/50 horizon grates on me too, even though I know some rules are made to be broken occasionally ;)

10. torrential

take C&C two ways, in future, I'll not input and help you progress. Thats what annoys me these days, you input to help someone of a lower level, and all they do is turn around and bitch or attempt to excuse their shots as if you're some deadshit.

11. thefuz

thefuz Member

Who says he's on a lower level?

12. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

Perhaps in future you'll remember that people are free to take photos how they wish (and you're just as free to either like it or not), and that the 'rule' of thirds doesn't have to be lived, breathed, and sweated each time you press a shutter release button.
    Perhaps you'll also consider taking your own critiques rebuttal in a less arrogant and rude manner in the future.

13. OP
    OP
    norbs

norbs Member

What annoys me is people who talk themselves up. I have no idea whether you are a pro photog or just a very good amateur. You might well be neither. But I will defend myself if I think I have a point.

I cant say I have seen alot of your posts in the Photography forums, so I really don't know who you are. I haven't built up a mental picture, so to speak. If it had been Admiral, Gibbon or about a dozen other blokes, sure, I would have taken it on board. But your 1st words are "a few tips". If I was going to say something to someone I hardly knew, I might well start off with "May I suggest a couple of things I have picked up here at the forums". You then tell me I shouldn't centre a horizon. Says who? IMHO, that 2nd photo looks good, even with a 50% horizon. And I struggled to get the shot to work with out it, believe me I tried. You also mention "lack of subject". Maybe I was trying to show how insignioficant the fisherman and his boat were compared to the vastness of the sea and sky. (Actually, I wasnt, it was something someone told me yesterday).

So there you go. You know now why I burred up a bit.

14. Heist

Heist Member

Where's that link with people using basic 101 rules to critique famous shots? I thought of that when I read the first critique.

While there is a point there, I think applying it to this set of photos is where your creativity has to come in - that's art.

Both shots seem to draw me in by their colour and use of negative space, the lack of horizons not meeting certain rules does not. Therefore the shot works for me, and I can honestly say in appreciating these shots I never once ran through the rules of photography to see which they met or which they broke.

15. willz75

willz75 Member

I think both images are fine though it may not have a real 'subject'. Rules can be broken and whether it suits the picture or not is up to the individual, isn't that what art is? I don't see any problem with the initial critic, the fact the person states 'of a lower level' is I think rude without knowing what level of skill the person has. My 2c :)

16. thefuz

thefuz Member

I think the rule of thirds is a good general rule. It's always worth thinking about composing images on the third lines. Sometimes it's not the best way to take an image though.

Best example I can think of that contradicts the rule of thirds is:
    http://www.nationalgallery.gov.au/Hockney/index.cfm

Great painting to see in the flesh if you're ever in Canberra.

17. torrential

Seems I caused quite a stir. I feel no need to explain who or what I shoot, moreso that my business progress' and I'm yet to have a complaint. Somedays you may not like what you hear in C&C but if you don't learn from it, then what is the point.

bed time. :)

18. OP
    OP
    norbs

norbs Member

And it seems you learnt nothing from your smart arsed, arrogant approach to C&C.

Why not put your ego on the line and show people your stunning work that has never had a complaint? There is no right and wrong in photography. Its subjective, what you may like, others may not, and visa versa.

A few tips.

#1, never assume you are better than anyone else on a forum
    #2, its easy to talk yourself up and talk down to others when you are a faceless nobody behind a keyboard.

:thumbup:

19. 0oBelialo0

0oBelialo0 Member

IMHO torrential's original comments were fine - the arrogance only came in later in a self-defence-ish kind of way.

He's also a new member, so doesn't know who's who. IMHO that probably makes his feedback more valuable, as its based purely on the photo. It also might be good for us not to bite the heads off new members who have the audacity to crit one of our longer standing members.. makes it seem like a bit of a boys club.

Now, my humble, very amateur opinion (IMHVAO? :lol: ) I quite like the first shot as is. Perhaps could do with a touch less sky, but probably not. Can't get into the second - colours are fantastic but I get lost in the negative space.

Ben

20. hadley

hadley Member

The best example I can come up with is my IP from a few months ago. Click Sometimes rules are just meant to be broken.