South Park: The Stick of Truth

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by FOXH0UND, Dec 5, 2011.

1. FOXH0UND

FOXH0UND Member

Obsidian have stated that they are making a South Park RPG.

Full article here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2014
  2. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Obsidian... they haven't had a great track record.

KOTOR2 and alpha protocol were buggy and unfinished messes.

shame, as alpha protocol had a lot of promise.

A south park rpg though...would anyone really care enough to play it?

3. OP
    OP
    FOXH0UND

FOXH0UND Member

Did you not play NW2 or FNV?

4. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

Wasnt aware nw2 was them - that was alright.

What's fnv?

5. OP
    OP
    FOXH0UND

FOXH0UND Member

Fallout: New Vegas.

6. Deliverancexx

Deliverancexx (Banned or Deleted)

Ha, I'll definatly give it a go if it reviews half decent.

7. MrBS

MrBS Member

I'm a huge fan of South Park and the involvement of the creators has me interested. The pedigree of trash games on the license has me very cautious. Awaiting gameplay etc....

8. lithos

lithos Member

How do you fit a PC under that rock...?

9. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

didn't enjoy fallout 3 at all - so haven't bothered with expansions and such

10. lithos

lithos Member

FNV = different kettle o' fish. Well, from a writing perspective, anyway - it was put back in the hands of the people who made Fallout originally, the guys who know how to handle it: Avellone, Sawyer and Urquhart. Much wider, branching narrative (there's at least four endings and multiple ways to get there,) more interesting characters, more morally ambiguous.

11. Bass

Bass Member

FNV>Fallout 3

I'll give it a go if it reviews okay, not sure about the whole south park thing

12. gnarlyrocks

gnarlyrocks Member

I'll answer these 1 at a time.

Yes they haven't had a great track record, but there only non buggy game was DS3 and that was shit (apparently and apparently)

KOTOR 2 could've possibly been the best game of all time (the first is easily up their, it does have some competition). The only reason it came out how it did was due to LA forcing Obsidian to do a rushed release, well and truly before it was ready, resulting in massive loss of content (heard that a good third to a half of the game was missing due to this) and a pretty buggy game. Obsidian while they should've said no we need more time, did extremely well in the circumstances and still released a very good game, that if released in the current time would be absolutely amazing and a huge breath of fresh air and good gameness. AP was pretty much the above but wasn't forced out early (I don't think) and really was the developers fault for bugs and whatnot. It was still however a very enjoyable game (though not of the quality/potential of KOTOR 2)

It was a shame and it did have a lot of promise (I still enjoyed the hell out of it)

I love RPGs and love South Park and I believe that it can be a really good game and hence I will with most certainly be buying it, as long as it's a proper (or atleast like) an RPG, if it's anything like ME2 (which while good, was severely weak on the RPG elements) I will give it a pass.

13. lithos

lithos Member

I think the modern gaming industry just doesn't know what to make of Obsidian. They're a bit weird, which I think is awesome. They focus on the little things, rather than the big things - you can explain FO3's main plot and characters in about 60 seconds, but it'd take you a while to explain the intricacies of New Vegas ("Ok, wait - what do you mean 'if you don't help the NCR'? Aren't they the good guys? Isn't that the point of a game? Help the good guys?" "What good guys?") and I'd imagine that throws a lot of people. Especially suit-types...

14. gnarlyrocks

gnarlyrocks Member

Yep. I like you think they are awesome. IMO they nearly always make a good game (DS3 being the exception) and actually try and do some really cool stuff (eg the mode in F:NV where you had to drink and eat to survive). To me that makes them kinda ol school in that they are trying new ideas and not making games a cakewalk, which is great; we need more of that shit. Gaming in general needs it or soon we'll only being seeing that casual shit like MW3

15. lithos

lithos Member

Yeah. An NPC side quest in FNV were longer than many other entire games. And the depth of 'em pissed all over the tokenistic one-mission NPC quests of Mass Effect 2.

I wrung my guts out over Veronica's quest, for example. Delayed finishing it for ages.

They're use of dialogue is always good - and using the standard RPG skills outside their traditional place of combat/survival is brilliant, something few other RPG makers have hit upon. It was great being able to talk your way past an NPC in their games not because you jacked up a generic Speech skill, but because you made comment about how they could fix their computer system or how they could better use their weapons.

It is, from a modern perspective of machete design ("if it ain't strictly needed, cut it") prevalent in modern gaming, a waste. But to the player, it adds so much...and it gives the writers another node to branch out from.

16. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

17. Unframed

Unframed Member

I like Obsidian and seeing their name next to an RPG of one of the best cartoons of all time is awesome. I don't know how it will work or how good it will be but I'll eagerly await it none the less.

18. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

19. OP
    OP
    FOXH0UND

FOXH0UND Member

Beat me too it, looks awesome. Michael Jackson best be in it.

20. Zabba

Zabba Member

Ok, I must admit I had absolutely no hope for this to be any good. But after watching the video I had trouble stop giggling like a school girl.

It looks fantastic and the humour is there, that's all I need.

Shut up and take my money!