Soylent! (but not the green variety)

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Rory K, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

What's the expiry on it? Wondering how long you can keep this before it goes bad, will be used to fill in meals where I don't have time (working on projects, etc)

2. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Okay, so I got myself on some of this stuff - Chocolate aussielent. It expires after a year is which is pretty awesome.

However, despite being the sort of person who can down most food or drink without complaining, I find this stuff pretty unpalatable with water. It just tastes of next to nothing, which is significantly worse than just straight water. There's something about the mixture which kinda feels grainy against my throat, not pleasant at all. I added some sugar which made it better but it's really hard to drink a full serving in one sitting before feeling pretty repulsed.

I'll try milk next time and see if that's any better. I have milk with whey protein all the time, no problem.

3. sjp770

sjp770 Member

I'm looking to try this stuff, particularly the Schmoylent recipe from here: http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/schmoylent-plain

Anyone know a good supplier able to sell most of what's listed? I'm only wanting to make a weeks worth to see how it goes for daytime meals.

4. Paronga

Paronga Member

Just saw this. I've been on the aussie soylent for a few weeks now. First, props to the people running that place. The website isn't terrible and their turn around is pretty quick (within a week, maybe because I'm in Melbourne it's faster?)

As for how it goes, no on should be using this and expecting it to 'taste' good. For me, this is a plus. I'm pretty worn out on food getting 'tastier' (read: saltier, oilier etc). Especially food that is cooked in under 30 mins (whether by me or when I'm out). Good tasting food with fresh ingredients and not copious amounts of oils/salt takes time to cook. The faster food is cooked the less impressive it is and hence the large amounts of 'bad' ingredients.

Honestly, It's refreshing to consume soylent. It doesn't taste bad, like a bad mix of ingredients or burnt. It simply has not much flavour. Honestly, after a few soylent meals, I find other meals to be way overpowering.

I mix mine with either home made almond milk, or water. I have the vanilla one due to it being vegan (i'm not vegan, but if I'm consuming something that's flavourless, I might as well be environmentally responsible).

I like to drink it slowly, not chugging down the whole portion quickly. Maybe over half an hour. If i'm feeling hunger cravings shortly after, usually a glass of water can fill me up again.

After a soylent i usually feel both full and satisfied. After low quality food (fucking cafe's, I'm looking at what you're serving. Usually something dressed up as healthy, but actually full of salt/oil) I might feel full, but I always feel I could eat more. I'm what I call unsatisfied.

Soylent makes me feel like I'm not hungry and I don't need to eat. I still get cravings for chocolate or hot chips of cheese or something, but because I'm satisfied, I don't stuggle to fend off those cravings.

In all honestly, I wouldn't dare replace all my meals with soylent. However, it has help me cut back on snacking, given me a boost to the nutrients I consume and given me appreciation for well prepared meals.

It cuts back on the stressful days where I'd eat crap because I'm too busy (not really busy, fake idea of busy) or lazy to take care of my self. I get more time to appreciate good food and I only cook when I want to enjoy the cooking process. Not because my stupid body needs food 4 times a day.

Anyway, I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to break the grind of trying to eat tasty meals 4 times a day. I don't need tasty all the time, but I sure as hell would like healthy. Not that soylent is 100% healthy, it probably isn't. But I'm also probably better off with it than without.

Also, I'm a bit concerned about getting bacteria into my gut, so I'm trying to have a bit more yoghurt in my diet. Don't know it it matters or not. But I think yoghurt is awesome (greek/natural. Not sugar filled horse crap)

p.s. I almost got into the whole idea of making my own soylent from the DIY website, but passed on it. It doesn't look like it's worth my time and the cost of aussie soylent isn't outrageous by any measure. It's about the same cost or cheaper as cooking at home once you account for all the wastage that cooking has. I mix mine is a mixer/magic bullet thing my girlfriend has. It's simple and quick and works for me :)

5. sjp770

sjp770 Member

I ended up getting a few thing to try, chemist warehouse had free freight with the code PayPal so I found brown rice protein and phsyllium husk, but I also found a brown rice / pea protein at woolies. Just need to work out measures and amount or oat flour and rice flour to compliment it. I'm only looking to replace breakfast and lunch so I'll need to back it off from 2000cal.which all the others seem aimed at.

In the mean time I was trying the oats / rice flour with a banana and honey as a trial for texture, it was fine and made me feel full and satisfied for most of the day but it was missing too much so I felt crap later in the day.

Not looking forward to getting all the smaller bits and pieces like vitamins / other trace element powers but I know it will have to happen.

I tried the oats by them self's as a breaky drink but they didn't fill me up at all, guess its the rice flour.

6. ernie

ernie Member

DIY Soylent video (peoples chow recipe) https://diy.soylent.com/recipes

I would imagine it could make a reasonable weight reduction meal if you reduced the carbs in it a lot, and kept the other ingredients.

The problem I have with these types of foods is that there needs to be analysis of nutrient bio-availability. Just because you stick the correct blend of nutrients into it, doesn't mean they can be treated in isolation, they will interact and change the nutritional value of the concoction, and possible effect their uptake by the body. So it depends on how much that's changed from the original desired outcome. That would need some fancy equipment to analyze. Probably need to do PhD style research and testing on the formula to verify the bio-availability. Certainly a worthwhile concept, I can see heaps of application for Soylent style foods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioavailability

- Ernie.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  7. phantom220

phantom220 Member

I ordered from Aussielent about two months ago. I've gradually been working my way through the 7 day pack. Decided to look into it mainly because it sounds interesting (and I wanted to see what it tasted like) but also because long shifts do not always equal healthy food.

Anyhoo, I quite enjoy it. My routine is mix the night before, chill overnight and leave the drink bottle in the tea room fridge at work. Very relaxing to grab the bottle and drink whilst reading the paper.

Positives: easy, cheap, nutritionally responsible
    Negatives: requires a small amount of foresight (ie mixing the night before)

I personally would leave the taste as a neutral. If you drink it straight after mixing it's pretty rank; but quite good after 12 hours in the fridge overnight.

8. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

9. sanjay

sanjay Member

I've always been keen to try out soylent but $84 for a week's supply? I doubt that I even spend that much money on all my meals within a week. Seems expensive. Shame I don't really have the spare time or inclination to make my own.

Is that price on-par with what it would cost for someone to order the original soylent in the US (while living in the US)?

10. The King

The King Member

I've ordered Keto Chow from TheBair.net, wasn't quite that dear, but...

Breaks down to about $12 a day; $8 a day if you don't have breakfast....

That's pretty damned cheap for 3 'meals' a day.

11. edzknows

edzknows Member

Ive been "eating" my diy recipe for breakfast on and off since 2013, changing the recipe totally a couple of times.
    For probably the past year (i dont remember) ive been having my latest recipe every weekday, almost without exception.
    I look forward to drinking it everyday, am not sick of the taste, and its easier to make then ever.
    I make 21 meal/7 day batches, as that's a convenient size to blend the dry ingredients, and that lasts about 3-4 weeks. I dont have an additional oil to add, as i chose dry ingredients specifically that have fats in them.
    Weekends my diet(like my sleeping pattern) is all over the place and i dont drink soylent.
    My recipe probably isnt perfect, but as i only have it once a day, and have a fairly balanced diet otherwise, im happy enough with it.
    Whats scary is i cant see myself wanting to eat something else, its such an easy, cheap and efficient way to eat.