1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Space: A Brightpips Guide

Discussion in 'Science' started by Agg, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

My friend Matt Doyle has finished an awesome interactive book about space, after 18 months of working on it. It's aimed at educating kids but it's full of interesting stuff and lots of cool interactive sections to play around with. My 8yo son and I were involved in the testing phase and it has thumbs up from both of us. So if you have an iPad or Mac and you're interested in space, or if you have an inquisitive kid, check it out:

More info on Brightpips here: http://www.brightpips.com/kids-space-book-now-available/
    The official info page: http://www.brightpips.com/books/space/
    The link to the item on iBooks: https://itunes.apple.com/book/space-a-brightpips-guide/id997274732?ls=1&mt=11

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  2. ChiefBoss

ChiefBoss Member

Will email website to my Mum, She runs an Astronomy business out of Broken Hill, NSW - Outback Astronomy
    She does sky shows for local and touring school kids often enough and can probably direct them to this as a decent learning resource.

3. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    Now, if they only do an Android version...

Love to get it for my kids, but don't have any iThings. I could prbably manage to get the kids a cheap 'droid each, but an iPad? No chance. :(

4. adr_an

adr_an Member

This is awesome! I'll give it a try tonight!! Now to get some itunes cards...

5. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

I second this. I would be all over this for the kids if it was on google.

6. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Apple only makes me sad :(

7. Quagaar

Quagaar Member

I don't like apple much, but my sons love space, and have an ipad for school. Buy this and some good may come out of it :) Will try it out tonight.

8. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    Sent a message via the site & got a reply same day! :) Looks like no go for Android unless it does fairly well on iTunes. :(

I guess education is only for the people who can afford/want to buy into the cult of Apple. :(

9. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Well, I think it's more that there is the iBook publishing platform on Apple which makes it easier. I'm sure Matt isn't restricting it to Apple because he hates Android (or Android people's money) but because there's no easy/standard way to produce that kind of content yet.

10. fad

fad Member

Sounds interesting. My son would find this interesting. Waiting for an android version. I don't have any apples, only lollipops.

11. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  12. RnR

RnR Member

Nah - its the standard for new products done by startups. Coin from Apple users greatly exceeds coin from Android users despite the market share differences. Google 'iOS first strategy' - but here is one article on the issue - http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/17/ap...tric-that-matters-most-to-developers-revenue/

13. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings