Space saving tips for SSD's

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Benno1988, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Planning to get myself a 64gb Flacon soon.

Just wondering what I should be doing to save space on the thing.

- Install most games and programs onto another drive, especially steam
    - Don't save things to desktop or My Documents etc

What are some others?

ALso what are some things I should be doing out of the box. Turn off fetching? Etc etc.

Windows 7 btw

Thanks!

2. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

it's not SSD specific but you can save things to My Documents if you change it's target location to be on another disk than the SSD. I do it with my 3.5" disks to make formatting the Windows partition easier.

3. OP
    OP
    Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

So for things like Program Files, how do i properly relocate that folder? Just drag and drop it somewhere else and programs will auto detect it, or right click properties and change something there?

4. fnp

fnp Member

Isn't half the idea of an SSD to have your programs on there so stuff runs fast? I have a 128gb SSD with Windows, all my programs and games and my documents, then a 1.5tb drive for bulk storage (music, installers etc).

5. OP
    OP
    Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Yeah I'll install a few programs on it, but not all of them need to be. I couldn't care how fast things like batchimageresizer, or steamwatch loads. Things like photoshop, winamp, firefox (i.e. ones i use a lot) will be put on there.

I'd much prefer a 128gb, but so damn expensive.

6. mrpo

mrpo Member

7. OP
    OP
    Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Thats awesome guide. Thanks mate!

8. darth_wolf

darth_wolf Member

ill post the instructions tonight

(its in registry)

what i usually do is install the os with a default user, then i go into registry and mvoe default user account location (the place that user accoutn are made), and program files to a larger hard drive (then manually copy paste the program files folder to the location specified in the registry as so that everythign still works so from c:/Program Files -> d:/Program Files, if you dont do this certain things just will not work).

create a new user with the name i actually want, then delete old one (this way all the hidden folders are also on the other hard drive "appdata")

and programs now default install to the other hard drive as well :D

linkage
    User account relocation
    http://www.windows7hacker.com/index...e-user-profile-default-location-in-windows-7/
    Program files
    http://www.w7forums.com/change-default-installation-path-windows-7-a-t750.html (i have a better link at home)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  9. hotsuma

hotsuma Member

2 tips:
    1 go into your windows dirctory and delete all the blue folders , they contain informatio about how to uninstall windows patches (when was the last time you removed a windows patch)

2 if you reinstall windows all the time and your not doing a format on the disk your going to end up with a bunch of recycle folders , forget where they live c: or c:\windows

try and delete them all it wont let you delete the current recycle folder you are using .

- anyone know where windows 7 keeps stuff i can delete seems like a bit of a bloated install , installed it last week

10. Widman

Widman Member

R click on the folder and select "properties" under which I'm pretty sure you will find a "Move Folder" tab which you can use to relocate any folder even to a network drive.

11. darth_wolf

darth_wolf Member

if this is in reference to me then you just keep it simple example the d:/ from memory at home has
    Program Files
    Users
    Etc. (where etc. is other shtuff that since it is listed i know where it is)

12. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Why would you want your most-used files on the non-SSD drive?

Turn off prefetching, change your temp (small files) directory to another drive,
    move my documents to another drive.
    Use CCleaner to get rid of hotfix uninstallers, not all of those blue directories are things you should remove...

13. OP
    OP
    Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Because my Steam folder is 100gb, there goes the SSD space. And most programs i have installed are used very rarely, hence no point having them on the SSD. Only the main programs and OS, isn't that really the point?

14. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Makes sense - I thought you meant all programs.
    Occasionally I run across programs which won't work unless they're installed in C:\program files (or they install there anyway, regardless of where I specify), but generally you can just install elsewhere for those particular programs.

Pagefile on separate drive of course (regardless of SSD), turn off readyboost and superfetch for Win7, and turn off indexing for that drive-
    Cheers,
    Matt

15. Widman

Widman Member

edit: wrong place to ask