SpaceX StarLink

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Gunna, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

Sp SpaceX is sending up nearly 12 000 Satellites by mid 2020's to create a globe covering internet.

Elon tweeted this today that claims it will be simpler than IPv6 and use firmware based encryption, i'm also assuming this is the inter-satellite communication as well. Interesting to see where this goes seeing as they launched their 2 prototypes on the weekend for testing

JSmithDTV likes this.
  2. power

power Member

is there nothing he can't do (other than make a profit in the short term).

Smoothie and whatdoesthisdo like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

Guess he is in it for the long gain, i'm assuming SpaceX makes a profit but it goes straight into R&D. Tesla would be close to turning a profit with the model 3 I imagine

4. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

The cool thing i like about this is if they can make a really good space based dynamic routing protocol and use laser as the backhaul(dont want to waste RF spectrum on backhaul) the near vacuum of LEO should result in significantly fast then 0.7c of C transfer speeds, if they have a good routing protocol* and good density of down stations then they should be able to go near a straight line from source to dest. If all that happens then AUS to just about anywhere in the world should be faster via masksat then terrestrial comms.

* i would love the job of trying to design that :)

5. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Epic video breakdown of Starlink and especially how ground stations make me think this might just shit over everything else for long distance.

Gunna likes this.
  6. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

https://www.sciencealert.com/starlink-is-being-an-absolute-nuisance-to-astronomers

JSmith

7. caspian

caspian Member

if you look at the business's revenue vs profit ratio then I also suspect there is a huge amount of R&D going on, given that they are supposed to have taken an axe to internal costs in 2019. the growth in share price must also be keeping investors reasonably happy about long term prospects even without a lot to show for it in terms of dividends.

[​IMG]

Slug69 likes this.
  8. Slug69

Slug69 Member

It is amazing. These are different businesses and this probably isn't the thread for it. However, for Tesla, the infrastructure that is built during this time is stunning. Charger network, Battery Factories, Car Factories (USA, China, & Soon Germany), 4 new car models - this alone is billions to design each car, Dealers, etc. Their market capitalisation now is greater than GM & Ford combined. Think about that.

I did not believe in Starlink at first but the video I linked to today is mind blowing and means they won't need as many satellites to deliver revenue as first thought. I am properly impressed by this - I guess we have to look at how much bandwidth each satellite and ground station can handle now...

9. power

power Member

some people laugh at him but i believe he is one of the most influential people alive today. Starlink hopefully can become a feather in his cap.

10. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

There are people that hate him however you cannot deny he has re-ignited the passion for space and space travel, not to mention he has been the largest influence for the idea of EV's

power likes this.
  11. power

power Member

EV's as they exist in today's market just would not exist without him.

12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

He's a strange dude with a lot of valid criticism thrown in his direction but it's impossible to deny his work's cultural and technological significance.

Will he be a household name in 100 years? Probably not.

For the record I like the work he/his companies have been doing, space-x in particular is damn impressive, and starting at the luxry/performance market for EV's to garner "clout" was ingenious.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  13. RnR

RnR Member

JSmithDTV likes this.
  14. caspian

caspian Member

kind of difficult to imagine the sort of person who can't cope with "put the red cable in the red hole" self installing that successfully. my commiserations in advance to the Starlink helpdesk staff.

15. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Interesting how some just want to attack the person in the video rather than discussing it's content... like the 36ms ping.

JSmith

16. RnR

RnR Member

The sharing of opinions has zero cost. Its one of the virtues of the internet.

17. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I'd imagine a burgeoning mostly unregulated industry of "Starlink Installers" who have done an intensive training course and have no fuckin' idea... not unlike your average NBN installer.

Pugs likes this.
  18. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Whats the penalty for having that bit of kit in China? (or any other country that bans Sat phones)

Awesome ping tho

19. RnR

RnR Member

Would assume that this would be unlicenced telecom equipment and operation would be illegal. Jail time.

Starlink Australia has a licence.

20. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

Also need a down station, no space lasers yet