1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

REVIEW SpaceX Starlink

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Agg, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Mallik

Mallik Member

Hi Agg,

on your speedtest the server says Sydney but is the external IP Address on starlink owned by starlink or provided by another ISP (you can do a whois lookup against the IP http://wq.apnic.net/static/search.html)

Interested to see if Starlink is partnering with a local ISP.

2. caspian

caspian Member

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  3. Winterheart

Winterheart Member

Hi Agg, just wanted to say thank you for the review, I've got a number of colleagues and friends interested in Starlink since you reviewed it and they are currently assessing it for their use.

Cheers :)

Agg likes this.
  4. Martyn

Martyn Member

I typed in my address, and my area is serviced by Starlink. I'm within an hours drive from Melbourne, but it's a semi-rural area.

NBN was connected mid last year (FTTN), and our ABB 100/40 has been reliable, but if Starlink had been available before / during NBN rollout I would have gone with that.

Some of the other people I know in the neighbourhood have speeds limited to ~40/down, due to distance from the node & I suspect old wiring - $149/month isn't a small cost, but at 5x the bandwidth I can see people moving away from the NBN.

For now, my internet connection has enough bandwidth for what we need to do, and at a quoted $48K to upgrade to FTTP it's only Starlink that seems to provide any realistic way to improve it.

As more people take up Starlink in your area over the coming months, I'll be interested to see what impact it has on your connection. It's definitely a gamechanger, amazing that in today's society, one person can still make such a difference (Starlink, SpaceX, Tesla).

5. Gunna

Gunna Member

If people who can get 100/40 reliably and not paying for 100 and gettign 30 drop the NBN and jump to this then it will congest the Starlink network pretty quick. As mentioned above I think rural people will be fine as the bandwidth to the satellite will remain static however in higher density areas they will see a decline in the service pretty quickly. I wouldnt be surprised if they start blocking postcodes in metro areas from being able to sign up.

wulfy23 likes this.
  6. caspian

caspian Member

would now be a good time to mention satellite to FTTP flips? ;)

7. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Honestly blocking certain areas is what should have happened with Skymuster and part of the reason the peak speeds ended up being slow as ****, I'd really hate to see Starlink go the same way because some people are moving in hopes of getting an extra 20mbps down over their existing FTTN connection.

Also feel like I should point out that Starlink only quote 50-150mbps down and the speeds Agg and myself are getting is only due to the node not being filled.

From Starlinks FAQ: https://www.starlink.com/faq

Also worth mentioning that while the service has no data caps this could change in the future, especially if more people start jumping on it and the system becomes congested.

If I had the choice between Starlink and 100/40 FTTN I would without a doubt take the FTTN connection, slower download speed sure but also lower latency and lower $$ per month.
    But of course that option isn't available for me so Starlink it is :D

caspian likes this.
  8. neRok

neRok Member

Skimmed thread but didn't see anything regarding my questions...

Has anyone got results in WA for ping to east coast servers (or vice-versa)?

What is the route the data takes: ie does travel across Australia on ground, or across satellites?

9. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I believe currently it goes dishy -> satellite -> your nearest ground station -> the internet via terrestrial links. In the future it might go dishy -> satellite -> satellite -> groundstation nearest your destination -> the internet. But I'm not sure, and I'm not sure if that kind of architecture info is public yet.

Have you got a west coast server for me to ping?

10. The Beast

The Beast Member

@20:50 Steve from Hardware Unboxed briefly mentions his Star Link connection in this video, but more relevantly describes his NBN connection as pretty garbage but a back-up internet. :lol:

11. timsarg

timsarg Member

i have a client in sandstone which is between mt magnet and leinster and they have put a deposit down on starlink. once they get it i will post results. At the moment they are on skysh!t and can hardly function as a business so this will be very interesting to see if it works

12. neRok

neRok Member

None in particular. Can't you just pick a random one on speedtest.net?

If it is terrestrial, I imagine it will just be your 40 to Sydney, plus the usual 60 to get across Aus, so ~100 total. Thats not too bad for casual gaming.

13. GTiRolla

GTiRolla Member

I just ran a test from outside of CBR to Perth and other than some extra latency, speed was pretty good.

Attached Files:

JSmithDTV and neRok like this.
  14. neRok

neRok Member

Nice. It's 75 ping from my house to Telstra Canberra server (using FTTN and AussieBB), but jess jitter (doesn't give the stat in browser, but the line is smooth).

27.3 upload and 6.0 download, you beauty!

15. GTiRolla

GTiRolla Member

I did a couple more tests around the coast line, and obviously YMMV, but it still looks pretty damn usable compares to other options around.

Attached Files:

neRok and JSmithDTV like this.
  16. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

C'mon man... I thought you were "lord of the pings". :leet:

JSmith

Agg likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Pretty big outage during a very intense storm today. Proper flash-flood type torrential rain and lightning/thunder, but still, hard to recommend Starlink for services where you are intolerant of outages:

starlink_storm.jpg

But as I said in the review, I don't think there's much we can reasonably expect Starlink to do if they just can't see the satellites. The 3 mins of "no signal received" is the dish not being able to see the satellites. "Network issues" the satellite not able to connect to the internet, possibly because the ground station was also experiencing weather issues?

Rass likes this.
  18. choppa

choppa Member

Should just make it a requirement that whenever they put in any new infrastructure or upgrade existing one (roads, rail, water, electricity) they need to pull an extra 48-core SMFO cable... give it a few years and we'd have high speed fiber everywhere.

19. caspian

caspian Member

it would be easier for the government to simply alter the NBN SoE and say provide FTTP everywhere other than truly remote areas.

20. OMGguru

OMGguru Member

You are correct - its working like a typical satellite service at the moment - straight up and down essentially - but yes I remember early videos showing the satellites using laser communication to speak with each other and them basically creating a mesh, to push traffic to the closest ground station of your destination. I'm sure this requires many more satellites in orbit.