REVIEW SpaceX Starlink

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Agg, Oct 10, 2021.

1. caspian

caspian Member

it would be easier for the government to simply alter the NBN SoE and say provide FTTP everywhere other than truly remote areas.

2. Primüs

Primüs Member

You are correct - its working like a typical satellite service at the moment - straight up and down essentially - but yes I remember early videos showing the satellites using laser communication to speak with each other and them basically creating a mesh, to push traffic to the closest ground station of your destination. I'm sure this requires many more satellites in orbit.

3. dorifto

dorifto Member

Partly it requires more satellites so they're close enough to each other so that the Inter Satellite Links work, but it's mainly due to the fact that not many manufacturers (none?) have demonstrated commercially available Inter Satellite Links.

4. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

upload_2021-11-6_13-20-22.png

Not too shabby.

edit: 29.3 peak!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    mooboyj, JSmithDTV, h2oxide and 3 others like this.
  5. juzz86

juzz86 Member

That's lovely!

I'm a happy Fixed Wireless customer, but how good's that for regional internet? Stuff of dreams even 3 years ago... :thumbup:

Agg likes this.
  6. nope

nope Member

neat im moving back bush this will be very useful

7. Insert Gibberish

Insert Gibberish Member

Thinking that if people start moving back into regional areas again and experience the current regime's lacking support, ScoMo and Co would indeed be worried about the future of the LNP.

Remember that this political party has dismissed and ignored huge inland areas and left it up to individuals to survive alone, out there. Whilst pillaging those areas for vital money from exports, we now experience the 'African Phenomenon' where no money is spent on local infrastructure whilst convoys of trucks and trains are moving tonnes of assets out to ports.

With this major communication infrastructure being available to the people (supplied by a lone Rich American), why would we ever need another Government in Power to survive in the Outback?

mooboyj, t8y and nope like this.
  8. nope

nope Member

i hope shit goes mad max personally where the unvaxxed vs the vaxxed lol ive watched to many tv movie video games

9. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

My Starlink dish is about to be shipped. Will post back with an update.

10. Primüs

Primüs Member

We've got a few of these (3 i think) on order to put into the highlands of Papua New Guinea - Currently using Ku-Band geostationary - works well as a backup but its damn expensive - be great if we just get 50-100mbps up there at <100ms !

11. Slug69

Slug69 Member

Any updates Mr Agg?

12. Vlat

Vlat Member

The layer two from ground stations to internet is Vocus and the layer 3 service is provided by Google in Australia.

13. Eric Blair

Eric Blair New Member

Living in outer North-eastern suburban Melbourne. Green wedge. Gateway to Yarra Valley sort of area. Telstra NBN FTTN. Three teenage sons. Gaming, streaming, not writing in grammatically correct sentences…
    Constant whining about ping and speed.
    Paying $89/m for 25down/10up.
    Top tier of $110/m for 100down/50up is unavailable in my area.
    StarLink is available.
    Have ordered yesterday. And thanks Agg for your OP. Very informative.

14. robdiddy

robdiddy Member

Let us know how you go with Starlink!

I'm moving out to the semi - rural area next year and currently have NBN Wireless available with 50/20 :( Not quite sure on the speed but relying on stable connection.

15. caspian

caspian Member

NBN wireless 50/20 was withdrawn at the end of 2019. the remaining speed tiers available are 12/1, 25/5 and Wireless Plus, which is now up-to 75/10Mbps following spectrum rebalancing to meet regulatory guidance.

16. robdiddy

robdiddy Member

I just did a nbn check address via Aussie BB and speeds are up to 70mbps down and 10 mbps up..
    I guess i can try it out for a month then go from there.

17. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Wireless Plus has been good to us - we had been on 50/20 since beta, and then one day I was pulling 7MB/s through Steam and couldn't work out why. We'd been switched over to the new product as it turns out.
    Our POI is rural Tassie so congestion isn't bad at all, I can grab you some speed data if you're interested mate, although it's probably irrelevant considering your set of variables will be entirely different.

I am most keen to see what happens when Starlink gets a bit older. 65/5 in a farmhouse in Nowhere, Tasmania is amazing (we came from 3G), and there's just a bit much price gap between the two services for us yet. We'll see what happens when the kids start hammering it a bit harder I guess!

18. Martyn

Martyn Member

I'm on a stable FTTN (100/40) & don't have any complaints other than willing to pay for a higher speed, but not willing enough to pay for the FTTP upgrade (quoted at ~$48K).

My teenage son games regularly, and my area is eligible for Starlink, so I'd be interested in some actual experiences RE ping rates for online games once you've had it up & running for a while.