1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

REVIEW SpaceX Starlink

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Agg, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Audionut

Audionut Member

Recently moved to an area with only NBN wireless. It's not so bad I guess, for what it is, but tower congestion is a thing and was giving me the shits.

Que starlink. Upload speeds are poor at only around 25mbps tops, and it also suffers some congestion, and notes that congestion can occur until the network is complete. It still hits over 100mbps when congested, which isn't so bad, but disappointingly not the 250mbps it hits.

Given I have a Asus router with wan load balancing.... So just before the dish turns up I notice that it doesn't have an Ethernet connection (seriously?), but unlike the dish that spent 2-3 days processing then 9 days shipping, the adapter got here in 3 days and 22.5 hours after hitting the order button, 2 days after the dish. Less than 4 days from LA is impressive.

Couldn't get HTTPS connections to work initially with the load balancing, but turns out that was just CAKE needing to be disabled.

Screenshot 2022-06-24 212003.png

That's from 10 mins ago. Should have got starlink earlier to load balance with the FTTC connection.

The app is nice too.

edit: has this been linked yet? Starlink Coverage Tracker

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    yoink, GumbyNoTalent, Agg and 3 others like this.
  2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Agg and others, how well does it perform with cloud cover? In particular thunderstorms?

3. OP
    OP
    Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Normal cloud cover isn't an issue but it definitely suffers in heavy rain. During the really insane rain events earlier this year in Sydney we would sometimes lose connectivity entirely for a short time. I don't think lightning/thunder are particularly a concern apart from being associated with rain. I think it's just the physical amount of water between the dish and the satellites, so not much that can be done without a bigger dish I guess.

eva2000 and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  4. Gunna

Gunna Member

We have 15 sites. All are very very remote, not even grid power and phones delivered by Telstra over radio so signed up for Starlink residential at one site 2 weeks ago and Starlink Business for another today.

Already received the residential hardware despite the site being in the Q1 2023 area on the map. Will report back soon on progress

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

With over 2,500 SpaceX satellites in orbit now and 42,000 satellites proposed coming in the near future, are our night skies going to be adorned with a Musk Train web of flying lights at night?

eva2000 and JSmithDTV like this.
  6. garnet

garnet Member

As if you could see it like in the vid… am more concern of the amount of electrical waves blasting through our bodies

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Video appears to be long exposure or at least massively boosted judging by how bright the night sky itself is.

Re electrical waves, not sure if that statement is sincere or not but we are absolutely bathed in electromagnetic radiation 24/7 I highly doubt starlink would be a drop in the bucket compared to what we’re already subjected to with seemingly little impact.

8. Blinky

Blinky Member

Somehow I don’t think they a going to knock off an electron from any of your atoms, but if in doubt keep your tin-foil hat firmly planted. :thumbup:

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

It specifically can't do that, that's the difference between non-ionising radiation (radio waves), and ionising radiation (the stuff at the other end of the spectrum that's highly energetic and has the kinetic energy to knock electrons around - xrays, gamma rays). remember of course infrared, visible, and ultra violet light is between those two extremes.

only way radio waves are dangerous is if they're powerful enough to cause burns via localised heating. and unless you're climbing inside a microwave or up a TV broadcast antenna that's not going to happen.

10. Blinky

Blinky Member

I thought that was self-evident and hence no chance of cell change (cancer). I'll wind my comedy down a notch next time. :)

11. Audionut

Audionut Member

Pathetic photoshopped trees.

I'm back in the pitch black (hence the starlink), and the only time I've seen a satellite that bright, is the ISS under ideal conditions. The ISS is slightly bigger than a starlink sat.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Plenty of reports of people seeing them in the night sky, I'm assuming they aren't all using cameras and you can see the trains with the visible eye. Suspect they won't be as big and visible as the video above obviously but what will be visible with the naked eye when 40+ thousand are up there?

JSmithDTV likes this.
  13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Plenty of reports of people seeing UFOs and being probed as well, and one can only assume they are way out in the boonies because light pollution in cities especially mega cities is so bad you can't see the milky way let alone the dim light reflections of a satellite.

Has Musk watched Quiet Earth?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quiet_Earth_(film)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/
    Great 80s NZ SciFi movie.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

:lol: Ok non issue then :thumbup:

15. fnp

fnp Member

Thumbs up, one of my fav movies of all time!

With a bit of luck, Starlink doesn't cause the end of the world eh?

16. rg144

rg144 Member

Saw them here Nov last yr, just remembered had an old vid. Poor quality vid sorry.

17. Blinky

Blinky Member

I really wanted to hit thumbs up on that, and I watched it twice but errr umm, were you sure that the odd bright light were starlink?
    The stuff I have seen in the past was before they got to operational height and multiple close together lights. Is that the same thing?

18. rg144

rg144 Member

100%, there were a good 2 dozen of them or so, all evenly spaced out. First 15secs of that clip you can see the last 3 in the link (moving up in the middle of the screen, from the bottom), at a good pace.

Only caught the last ones as the first (rest) were no longer visible /cloud cover

Blinky likes this.
  19. cvidler

cvidler Member

They're launched in a string (sounds like what you saw), then they manoeuvre in orbit to their operational positions, which are more dispersed, but will still be the same bright points of light in the sky. for most of us on the planet in cities etc. they won't really be a problem. if you're in a dark location, you'll certainly be able to see them, whether that's a problem or not is personal I guess. Astronomers however are pretty mad about it all. as one microsat passing through their telescopes field of view can ruin an entire nights observations - remember of course they can often need to use multiple hour long exposures, a big bright very close (in relative terms) microsat will overexpose the shot and ruin it.

20. caspian

caspian Member

in my experience, astronomers have been mad about satellites and what they call light pollution for a long time now. to draw a close analogy, they need to deal with the world not revolving around them.