1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sparkies - Is this light socket burnt?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by cbb1935, Aug 28, 2006.

1. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

[​IMG]

Light no longer works, fuses are intact.

Pretty much I left room, came back and light was off, and bulb blown. Changed bulb and it was still dead.

We did get it to come on for a brief second by wiggling the globe but that was it.

Then I removed globe and noticed the contacts where in that condition and thought maybe that was the issue.

Could I be right?

I think parents are just going to replace the fan/light though as its not the first time we've had a problem.

2. Scorpion1080

Scorpion1080 Member

Looks more like dirty, corroded terminals.

3. OP
    OP
    cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Given its a 20 yr old fan (from memory), would it be worthwhile turning off the power to that circuit and cleaning the terminals, and if so what should I use to clean it out?

I was thinking something like rubbing alcohol and a cotton bud thingy.

4. SSJX

SSJX Member

why don't you just test the circuit with a multimeter?

5. Pablo_H

Pablo_H Member

Why is one tab bent down?
    you can see the right hand one pointing up, looks like the left hand side is supposed to be up bent has been bent down almost touching the base of the rhs tab

6. OP
    OP
    cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Poor photo sorry.. the rhs tab goes in deeper, I figured because of positive and negative terminals.

7. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

It's not really corroded enough to be causing issues, it's just old. The best thing to do would be replacement.

8. fo3

fo3 (Taking a Break)

Still looks like the LHS shouldn't be bent. But I don't recognise the lamp holder type at all so not sure.

9. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

It's an edison screw lamp base. They're shit at the best of times.

10. Nightmare

Nightmare Member

Looks like we have two people for bending the LHS contact up. Follow their advice mate and be sure to have someone there & a video camera running as you dead short the circuit out.

Is the RHS terminal loose? looks like shes been cooking or is the black ring just the photo?

fo3 & Pablo_H - Come on, never looked at a lighbulb? (ie in a torch) The bottom center is one terminal and the metal case of the bulb is the other. Putting both terminals onto the metal case of the bulb is going to create a great light & sound show but not for long....(how big is that fuse??)
    Good image 1/2 way down here -> http://home.howstuffworks.com/light-bulb.htm

Do not guess with electricity.

11. fo3

fo3 (Taking a Break)

hey, it was mitch, had to play along :thumbup:

edit: seriously I said don't know the lamp holder or lamp type, so you shouldn't listen to people on the internet.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  12. brokenback

brokenback Member

Yeah someone has mentioned it's an Edison Screw socket and the burn mark is right around where one of the the incomming 240Volt wires is spot welded to a terminal tag.

In other words the spot weld has gone high resistance, burn't, it's all over red rover. I've seen this before and it's too hard/time consuming to fix.

Chuck it.

13. OP
    OP
    cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Thanks to everyone who posted here.

Yep its a screw base, from a Light/Fan assembly. The mark appears to be a burn mark on the contact.

We've decided to just replace the fan (it was one of those $100 or something jobs), and its been fixed once before by the Greys Army guy.. but its completely up the creek now..

Funny that before it died, when I took out the globe it was hot as anything, as was the entire connector... thats concurrent I guess with the burn mark.

14. shadowman

shadowman Member

The bent down tab is supposed to be bent. It provides a spring action to make sure there is good contact against the bulb. The bottom of the lamp touches the bent contact, then the side of the lamp touches the other contact. It looks like the lamp base has touched the bottom of the spring contact and the other contact at the same time, creating a short circuit.

Recommendation: Replace the lampholder.

15. THW01F

THW01F Member

:thumbup: , using an Electrician of course.

Just because the switch is off dosen't mean there's no live wire at the fitting

16. EyesOnMei

EyesOnMei Member

I just had to replace one of these recently... I picked up up from bunnings for $6 or so? Ours wasn't really an electrical problem, but rather, the plastic parts that hold the bulb in were broken so could no longer hold the bulb.

Easy fix in the end, albeit scary as I haven't done electrics and had to assume a lot of things...

17. OP
    OP
    cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Actually good bump.

Got it fixed the other day... apparently the pins in the back of the socket had recessed and werent contacting.

sparkie bent them out, cleaned them up and its working a charm.

18. brokenback

brokenback Member

Most of those lamp holders are 60 watt rated so make sure you use a 60 Watt max bulb (or under/up to the max power the holder is rated to). Using a higher rated power bulbs make the plastic lamp holders brittle very quickly and they fail sooner than they should.

I've noticed a lot of small lamp holders with pre-maturely aged plastic....or the mfgs are doing this deliberately so they break and you buy a new one sooner. :shock: