Speaker out - XLR Cable DIY

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by synic, Jul 21, 2019.

1. synic

synic Member

Hi all.

I want to connect my standard Amplifier (NAD C350) speaker wires (red and black) to a power amp with XLR & Balanced TRS connectors as the input.

I want to doctor up a cable running from the standard Speaker Terminals (twist terminal Left/Right speakers with Red (live) and Black (return) jacks) on my Amplifier to plug into the XLR input jacks on my power amp.

I have lots of speaker wire, and even some good XLR cables (with XLR connectors) to use as donor material.

Should I be just chopping my XLR cables to plug from my Power AMP into my speaker (output) terminals on my Amplifier? Or should I begin from scratch with a visit to JayCar and start all over again?

Can someone point me in the right direction or tell me what to do? Yoytube is getting tiring (I've watched a dozen or so videos already). I am going to DIY solder this solution. I have all equipment and solder regularly). Have voltmeter for continuity testing.

EDIT: FYI I have another thread about using my NAD C350 as a Pre Amp to a Phonic MAX 1500 and if this is a suitable combination to use in a Home HiFi Setup.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. Pugs

Pugs Member

You will blow up the input side of the power amp

3. OP
    OP
    synic

synic Member

Thank you for the warning. Do Not Attempt to Speaker Out INTO XLR In. In fact, I need to ditch that idea all together. As per thread: I think I might just try for a RCA - XLR from my Computer Xonar Essence STX into the Phonic 1500. Would that be a better idea?

4. Pugs

Pugs Member

Not really that is a PA amp and it will blow your home speakers unless you have 12" and horn or above speakers...

Ideally you would use that amp to power a set of these Double 15 and horn.. for around 500 people... in a community hall with DJ or band...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  5. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Not strictly correct. Regardless of what you might think. PA outputs are governed by the Pre-amp, regardless of whether the output is rated at 30 watts or 3000 watts,, To say that a large output requires large speakers is incorrect. The difference between Hi Fi and PA, is one requires / expects quality while the other [PA] needs maximum volume regardless of anything else, and in most cases is pretty terrible, it's simply an ear bashing.

6. OP
    OP
    synic

synic Member

See my thread.

Doctored up some RCA to TS (mono-unbalanced (unsheilded)) cables to direct out from the ASUS Xonar STX v1 into the Phonic MAX 1500. I held my breath, wondered why there wasn't any sound, and then realised I'd turned the volume down out of caution before powering up... turned the volume up a bit, and Well, there was sound.

I am hoping for some quality sound to come out - as you've said in my other thread - 20 watts will allow my speakers to play, 100 watts will allow them to sing. So, I do want to try out the Phonic and see what the sound like for a few weeks. The sound quality does seem all right. But I' don't know about 'blasting' it. My Xonar STX doesn't have the output to really amp up to ear splitting levels (and I've got kids so I don't want them doing that by mistake anyway) but there is certainly enough volume to keep the JBL H810's happy. Not as much distortion coming through the cones now the Phonic is pushing them. The NAD C350 was giving the woofers a bit of 'extrusion' on the heavy sounds. The Phonic just pushes them without pushing them. I feel as if they are being played the way they are meant to be played.

@ Hi-End-Head - Do you think the quality of the NAD C350 beats the Phonix MAX 1500 for domestic HiFi situations? Just out of interest. I'd love to do a side by side comparison but P.A.s are a bit tricky to set up as a HotSwap or SideBySide system. Do you have any experience with either?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  7. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

There is no doubt that the NAD build quality is far superior to the Phonix, which is built for maximum volume over long periods . As a small experiment try turning the volume right down, so you can just hear it.
    On both the NAD and the PHonix. I don't think there will be any question on who wins out. The high notes from the NAD will say it all.

As to your question about PA systems. I've never owned any but have heard quite a few. The purchase price is the give away. Any quality integrated will leave the PA for dead. and yes I've heard Horns being played through integrated amps, But of considerably costly makes. Some would say there the equal to seperates [pre + mono ] But I digress there