Speaker System Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

i have the edifier s330

sound quality is impressive, the bass is nice and clean but still punchy

i recommend them

2. jamieyn

jamieyn Member

Yep - Altec Lansing as a general brand have a really nice solid sound - with an actual mid range, rather than the soggy boom/bass of the logitech.

I went from an Altec Lansing 2.1 setup to some Logitech Z4s. Hated them, and switched back to Altec Lansings.

Listen to a couple of examples if you can.

3. spikes

spikes Member

The Altec Lansing VS2621s are also pretty good as well if you're more down in the lower end of the market. They're around the $50 mark.. best thing about Altec Lansings as jamieyn said is does have the soggy/spongy bass of the Logitechs, I find Altec Lansing to have much better sound clarity over Logitechs..

4. andhey

andhey Member

out of those ive only heard the z2300 and to me, the bass is pretty sloppy

5. RnR

RnR Member

Looked at the 730's?

6. Spazzy

Spazzy Member

Hey, I'm in the market for some a new system and looking for some advice.

Basically what i want is the best quality loudest and bassiest system i can buy/build for $1000. i love my ear splitting bass. but only have a max of a grand to spend on my new system. doesn't have to be 5.1.

also i my need a new sound card I'm not sure the on-board sound card on my ep45-dq6 is up to it plz advise on this.

any help is greatly appreciated

7. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I've found myself some old Phillips bookshelf speakers around the house, so now I'm looking for an amp and sub to go with it. I'm looking at spending something under $500, but I want the sub to be at least 12" and be able to handle something around 23hz at a decent level. Suggestions?

8. Coldplayer

Coldplayer Member

Friend wants some monitors and budget is $450 inc post or so. Atm looking at a5s wondering what input they use. RCA or 3.5mm?

9. Narikki

Narikki Member

the a5s use 3.5mm

10. ICEW0LF

ICEW0LF Member

you can still run from an RCA source with a cheap cable so its not really relevant

11. JZ714

JZ714 Member

Just bought a set of ALTEC LANSING FX3022, shit all over my old creative 5600 series 5.1, very good sound quality for value.

Now I'm thinking to get a 5.1 Altec Lansing in the future for console gaming to replace my Logitech z5500.

Any recommendation?

12. Ziebo

Ziebo Member

Hell all got a few noob Q's
    I've got $150 to blow on speakers and from what ive gathered from this thread the edifers 330s look right up my alley.

Thing is though my laptop(which i only use to listen to music) is set up right next to my tv which has an xbox 360 connected through HDMI.

Is there anyway i can use these speakers with that as well? I've tried connecting my current PC speakers into the TV via 3.5mm but nothing happens.

Would this work http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=2009&sku=40424&relatedItem=true
    or would i be better off buying a home audio set instead
    cheers

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  13. nornicle

nornicle Member

Here is another noob question:

Whether or not i get 5.1 or 2.1 remains to be seen (for mostly gaming)

If I get an amplifier (or self amplified speakers such as A5/A2s)

Do I just use the motherboards 'audio out' connections, or do I still need to buy a sound card to then connect to an amp or set of speakers?

:confused:

Also what is the current go on gaming, 5.1 or 2.1? and what should I get with a $5-600 budget for everything (speakers, soundcard but not amp I have a 5.1 amp already if needed)

14. Tokemon

Tokemon Member

Hey Nornicle

1. Get whichever one suits you better. If you are mostly gaming, then 5.1 will probably be better. However, I find headphones are great for gaming. I use my AD900s when i need positional awareness, and use my A5s for music and movies.

2. It depends on how you set it up. Motherboards have 3.5mm outs (which are an dac/amp combo in itself). With the audioengines, they have an amp built into the speaker as well, so its as easy as plugging in a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable between the two.

If you want to go passive bookshelf + amp combo, you can as well, but will need a 3.5mm to RCA cable instead to plug into your motherboard audio out.

Alternatively, if you have optical or coaxial out (digital out) on your amp/receiver, you can plug it using an optical or coax cable. It is probably likely that doing it this way will give you better results without needing a soundcard as it bypasses the motherboard's dac.

3. If your amp has optical or coax out, i'd just buy the best speakers you can afford and use digital out. Otherwise, i'd buy a Xonar DX (about $100) and the A5s.

15. morris_86

morris_86 Member

Hey everybody,

I'm currently in the middle of upgrading the audio side of my pc and I've hit the hurdle of which speakers to get ( around $200 max). These are the ones currently on my radar:

M-Audio Studiophile AV40 $200
    http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/sound...m-audio-studiophile-av40-studio-monitors.html

Behringer TRUTH B2030P $220
    http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/sound...s/behringer-truth-b2030p-studio-monitors.html

Behringer MS40 Digital $205
    http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/sound...s/behringer-ms40-digital-studio-monitors.html

Loudspeaker kit M4 Kit $206.40 (ocau discount)
    http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com/products/M4-Kit-Speaker.html

I'll be using them for 95% music, 5% gaming/movies. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with these speakers or if there are another set that I'm missing, around the same price. I have a stereo Pioneer amp, thinking about getting a Asus xonar DX soundcard. Upgrading from logitech X-540s.

Thanks.

16. truter

truter Member

I am almost exactly the same as the above post. Upgrading from X-530's and onboard sound.

Looking at:
    M-Audio Studiophile AV40
    Samson Studio Dock 4-I
    Audioengine 5
    Logitech Z5500

Reason I have thrown Z5500 into the mix is because I still do game and 5.1 does help, although speakers will be primarily for music. Also do need bass for the type of music I listen to so do the M-Audio's and A5's carry enough bass for gaming and heavier music, ie. trance/tech house/rock. Don't want to have to buy a matching sub for ~$400.

Active speakers are a must as I do not have room for an amp. Do want clean sound but still want punch and a rumble in my chest.

Will be buying a sound card, what is most appropriate for my purposes? Been looking at Asus Xonar D2X but may be overkill?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

17. jwai

jwai Member

I currently use the Logitech Z-2300 speakers, but think I could do with a better 2.1 kit. What good alternatives are currently out there?

18. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

Edifier S730 for a 2.1 system.

19. brayway

brayway Member

The Edifiers are awesome from what i was reading/watching, I was going to get a set of the 5.1s but I had no way of getting them home, so i got a GTX465 instead :shock:

20. carbon_death

carbon_death Member

I own them, couldn't be happier for the price at the time, imo.