Speaker System Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Camm

Camm Member

Thanks, but the A5+'s that I auditioned were far to focussed into the mid-low's for my liking. Not to mention AE seem rather overpriced considering the sound :|.

2. chi

chi Member

have you taken a look at the aktimate blue, pretty much ticks all your boxes, just keep in mind theyre rear ported so will need some room

3. Camm

Camm Member

Positioning might be a problem, but from what I've read they might fit the bill. Thanks :)

4. brainstew

brainstew Member

5. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

Hi guys,

Looking at a a serious upgrade for my home office in the audio department, i think a decent 2.0 setup would suit me well, mainly for non bass heavy music.

Ive been reading good things about the Aktimate Mini+ speakers and ive seen there is a new version called the Aktimate Mini+B. Ive managed to find it for $600 + shipping.

Changes include built in Bluetooth Audio and a USB 24bit/96kHz DAC.
    Bluetooth is actually a feature im quite interested in as id like to swap easily between PC and my phone.

The USB connection is where my question is.
    I dont have a decent sound card or DAC at the moment so i was going to have to add that to my costs. Without testing it obviously, how likely is it that the built in USB device would be able to provide decent sound, say compared to an entry level after market sound card?
    Would i be likely wasting money on the new model and be far better picking up an Xonar DX and the older model?

Thanks for your help, not so good with this stuff.

6. Cheatz

Cheatz Member

I'm trying to find speakers for my laptop in my home office for electronic music with good bass and fidelity. Something that is portable and can be moved to another room and connect to bluetooth or wifi. But when stationed in the office it can be plugged in via usb for better quality. It should be fairly easy to move from room to room. But i normally listen to techno, house, trance type music with many layers of bass notes and synth sounds so i'm looking at speakers that would excel at that.
    I've come across:

Grace digital but it doesn't provide good bass response and also sounds annoying always having to repair bluetooth.http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digital-.../dp/B00DS5QZYO

Audio B2 wireless system but this doesn't have wired option http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/S...57301-AE-AB2WN
    Although i do like the format of this one because it's just one unit and can easily be transported around. Seems weak on bass.

Polk Audio Hampden - mixed reviews on bass response but looks like best match so far http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2468811,00.asp Does anyone have these speakers and can attest to bass on electronic music?

Polk Woodbourne - sounds just what i want but it is really big, bulky and heavy and not really suited to move around. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2474351,00.asp

It would be good to have something like the Polk Woodbourne but smaller and portable.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  7. samo

samo Member

Here's your problem.. you want good, strong bass in a small package.

You need to compromise here. Good bass is not the same as strong bass. You will never get really deep bass from a 3" driver unless there is some really good porting/design going on that would essentially be creating fake bass, for lack of a better term.

The Audioengine B2 does have a wired connection, it has a 3.5mm input. Im not sure how portable you want this speaker but at 600mm wide the Woodbourne isnt exactly huge, it's not too much wider than your average keyboard..

8. Cheatz

Cheatz Member

Yea it looks like i'm asking too much but just wanted something that portable enough that I don't need to be fiddling setting up moving between the office/gym.

The other alternative is get a 2.1 setup in the office (Klipsch promedia 2.1) or preferably 2.0 (suggestions?) if there are any systems that can carry good bass levels.
    Then buy an extra pair of bluetooth speakers for the gym room. Either a UE Megaboom or something powered with more substance but will be stationary in the gym. The megaboom would be handy as a true portable to take with outdoors but i never heard it before so not sure how they perform for electronic music. The gym speakers don't need to be as good quality than the office, since i'm really only exercising for a short period of time compared to the longer listening sessions in the office.

So
    Option 1 - All in one system
    Something like a Polk Woodbourne (heavy/bulky) or Marshall Stanmore

Option 2 - 2 separate pairs of speakers
    Office = Good quality 2.0/2.1 system. I really would prefer 2.0 as i'm trying to minimize space
    Gym/Portable = Medium quality

The bass doesn't need to be strong as i'm not really going to be pushing it to loud levels, i just want to clearly hear the varying lowend sub-bass level frequencies that i can hear on my sennheiser hd-25 headphones.

9. Shreaver

Shreaver Member

I'm after a 2.1 for a friend's birthday. Budget is about $250 - I've been looking at Logitech. I know they aren't amazing, but budget is budget and at the moment she has nothing.

Could I get some help please?

10. samo

samo Member

11. Shreaver

Shreaver Member

12. glennsfield

glennsfield Member

Hey there
    I have an HTPC with a Xonar STX soundcard - what's the best way to set this up for 5.1 surround sound??
    Would I be better off getting a separate amp?
    Whats the best 5.1 speakers for movies at the moment? I wouldn't mind getting wireless rear speakers, and for them to be passable for listening to rock music at loudish volume too.
    I'm willing to spend $500 on a good set up :)
    Thanks!

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

14. stephano5

stephano5 Member

any thoughts on Eastwood hifi+ systems

15. samo

samo Member

good guys, easy to deal with and excellent pricing.

What kind of system are you after? 5.1, 2.1, soundbar with sub?

16. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Talk to the guys at Eastwood. So much better than chain store plebs who have no idea about HiFi.

17. OzJustin

OzJustin Member

Such a shame you are in Sydney as I have for sale a home theatre package that would have been ideal for you and your budget. [emoji20] High end Australian made Richter 5 speaker system and VAF Research sub. Will blow away any mainstream Logitech etc setup. Good luck in your hunt.

18. Ryan Hayward

Ryan Hayward New Member

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Be nice if they just had the usual black rather than woodgrain finish

20. FOXH0UND

FOXH0UND Member

Hey Guy's. Moving away from my amp/dac/bookshelf setup. Want to get some speakers for my PC, and to be wall mountable, powered. Any recommendations?