Speaker System Recommendations? Ask For Advice Here!

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Hooti3

Hooti3 Member

My AudioEngine A5's (original) are having a few issues after 7 years.

Looking to replace with something similar.

I had a look at the Edifer R2000DB and Edifer R1700BT and both seem to have decent reviews.

Anyone own either of these?

Or have any other recommendations. Looking to spend around the $250-$300 mark.

Thanks.

2. connico

connico Member

I personally don't rate the whole edifiers range anywhere hear the A5s. An upgrade from the A5s in the self amplified range would be something like a Paradigm Shift A2. I've listen to a pair and they almost made me replace my current infinity speakers which I've had over 10 years now...

Not a fan of a paper cone in a sub, what type of music you into?

Anyways is look past paper and go for Spun Copper with the Klipsch R-110SW :)

I've be looking for a poly or metal composite driver than a paper one mate!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  3. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Happy now with my sub which arrived yesterday, still breaking her in.

My set up currently:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now these tiny bookshelf, while clear and crisp, lacks power. Yes, the 8" OSD is brilliant, powerful, but not muddy boom boom. But it completes my desktop kit for now. OSD had them for 499USD but I got it from 199USD.

I really really wanted to use paradigm's for my HT set up as well as desktop at home but I can't justify the funds for it. Not in my current house anyway, when I upgrade to a bigger house with a bigger lounge I'll definitely reconsider it. For HT I'm really loving the Dali range. But extremely happy with the difference with going from onboard non-DAC to the TEAC with the bookshelves and sub.

Currently I've been mainly listening to chillstep, dubstep, and EDM. Sometime classic alternative (RHCP, Soundgarden, Tool, Metallica, etc....)

I will consider the different driver materials next time around for sure. Thx connic!

4. mr626

mr626 Member

Looking for suggestions for a good 2.1 system to complement a home theatre PC (a NUC).

Anyone got something they can recommend for $150 or less?

5. bergerac

bergerac Member

Currently running some PSB Alpha LR1's that I had from my surround setup off a N22 amp. They sound pretty good but just don't have enough low to mid punch from the 3.5" woofer. Thinking of possibly upgrading to Mission LX-2's but can anyone suggest anything else around $300, want at least a 5" woofer as im a bit of a bass freak

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  6. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

logitech Z623, Swan M10, Edifier M1370BT

otherwise see if you can pick up a Klipsch ProMedia or swan M50 2nd hand :thumbup:

7. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

Hey guys, looking for recommendedations on a decent 2.0 setup without going too bonkers...

I've used a z5500 setup for years but I just moved and decided to test my microlab solo 5c's instead and I actually preferred how they sounded over the z5500's... My 5c's are meant for another purpose so I'm looking for something similar if not a little better...

Initial thoughts are Audioengine 2+ though I haven't gone over the specs to see how they'd compare. That will also give you an idea of my budget for this, though I'd could be convinced to go higher if it's really worth it.

Cheers

8. connico

connico Member

Cannot go wrong with a pair of A2s...

Otherwise i just got my niece a pair of JBL LSR30 which sound amazing... dont know if usually available in oz as i got the jbl rep to help me out lol

9. Cthom

Cthom Member

OSD at 199USD.?

I was also looking for a sound system for my desktop. Your 8'' OSD looks awesome. From where did you had them in 199USD.?

10. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Yeah thanks it's perfect for the office :D If you have a bigger room to power it this might be able to do the job otherwise this is perfect.

I got it from Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/OSD-Audio-PS88-Compact-Subwoofer/dp/B0085OB5PW

11. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

grabbed a second hand set of original A2's, they're mighty impressive for such small speakers... but they aren't quite what I was after unfortunately :(

12. spank36

spank36 Member

Just having a look and it says no shipping to my address in Aus? Looks like a good deal besides that and my sub has a hum and is due for replacement

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  13. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I used Comgateway to get it here :D

14. Reins

Reins Member

Have the 308s. Love them. :thumbup:

15. Chardiieee

Chardiieee Member

Would anyone know of some deals for passive bookshelf speakers?

Located Brisbane 4011, considnering upgrading from Microlab Pro3

Theyre not too bad with some EQ, they are just lacking given the lower tier quality/price. I have Solo 7C's in the lounge and they are so magical, Id love some 6C's for the desktop to keep the sound and shrink the size.

I ditched the microlab amp and use a couple of Marantz's for PC and hifi so that Im not relying on those dodgy shitty Microlab amps.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  16. connico

connico Member

Wanna get rid of them?? I can give them a good home lol

17. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

haha, already sold and replaced with a set of Edifier R2000's... very impressed and happy with them :D

18. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

What's your budget like?

19. Chardiieee

Chardiieee Member

Budget is kinda low atm, maybe $200 just for passive speakers? Im just looking for some good deals that beat the Microlab Pro3. I got the SOlo 7C's for $200 a while ago so I expect there will be some variety if theyre available.
    Doesnt have to be new at all, second hand speakers are worn in and well loved!

I might even get a cheap sub, because thats the only issue with the Pro3, is that they entirely lack bass from 100hz down, but some EQ can make decent sounds for the rest.

20. Suopermanni

Suopermanni Member

You can definitely try gumtree, there's a few vintage bookshelves on sale in the Brisbane area at the moment. Go ask some speaker guys on stereo.net.au and such for more specific advice as I'm actually quite new to the speaker scene.

On the headphone scene, I'm more experienced in.